• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Are The 100mpg Cars?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A reasonably techno-logical article on the subject (the link here)

Just to repost the history, there have been notable 100mpg prototypes built. I used to work where we regularly built some. But for the consumer, unless the car costs the same or less than a 50mpg equivalent, why bother? At times I've calculated each 1mpg increase as valued at $400 in purchased price. This does depend in the cost of money via a loan. 'Your mileage may vary.'

When I compare a Prius (for single-or-two person commuting) at 54mpg and $22,000 cost to a Elio, the elio values at $34,000 in Prius level equivalency. So IMHO, spending $6,800 returns a investment value windfall of $27,200. And that's probably understated when looking at the cost of maintenance. Note, you have to actually drive it to realize that value.

Extracted from the article...

Building What People Buy
Clearly, a car that gets 100 mpg every time you drive can be designed and built. But, absent government regulation or far higher fuel prices driving consumer demand, will any car company actually do it?

"There's no business case for it," says GM's Juechter. "How many people would spend $200,000 on a car that would ultimately save them a few thousand dollars on fuel over the life of the car?" That's the worst-case scenario in terms of price estimates, but there's little doubt that a 100-mpg car would cost thousands more than today's bigger, more powerful vehicles.

"Small, clean diesel engines run about $3000 and you can add another $4000 for the hybrid," Cole says. "So you're looking at a $6000, $8000 or even $9000 premium for just the car's powertrain. And we haven't even talked about the cost of the materials."

Few drivers would ever make up the cost premium at the pump. However, working out the requirements of a 100-mpg car makes it clear just how feasible it would be to build, say, a 75-mpg car—for far less money. Besides, saving money isn't the only reason people choose a car. It became fashionable to drive SUVs because they projected an image of power and an active lifestyle. It's possible to imagine drivers being drawn to the environmental and national security benefits of efficiency—and to the cutting-edge engineering, as well.

So perhaps people have been asking the wrong question all along. It's not, "Why can't they build a 100-mpg car?" but rather, "Do we really want one?"

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
....But for the consumer, unless the car costs the same or less than a 50mpg equivalent, why bother? At times I've calculated each 1mpg increase as valued at $400 in purchased price. This does depend in the cost of money via a loan. 'Your mileage may vary.'

When I compare a Prius (for single-or-two person commuting) at 54mpg and $22,000 cost to a Elio, the elio values at $34,000 in Prius level equivalency. So IMHO, spending $6,800 returns a investment value windfall of $27,200. And that's probably understated when looking at the cost of maintenance. Note, you have to actually drive it to realize that value.

I like the way you look at it. This is kind of the reason why I'd go for the Elio instead of a mid size commuter for my next car. I really don't need an Accord or the like size wise, but that is what I can afford and I'm getting old enough I want the comfort of a slightly larger car, I'm getting the five seats because that is all that is really available to me. No two seater offers a better value unless the Elio is produced. If I save the difference in car ownership costs, I can save over one year of State University costs for one of my kids when the time comes. And if I assume I get return on my investment, maybe two years of State or one year of Private. We just have to hope others see it like this too.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
THERE IS THE HMV FREEWAY FROM 35 YEARS AGO .
OF THE ORIGINAL 700 MANUFACTURED , SOME 200 OF THESE
ODD CREATURES SURVIVE . I HAVE OWNED TWO OF THEM .

THEY WERE SOLD WITH A 100 mpg GUARANTEE !
THE FINE PRINT STATED THAT THEY WOULD DO IT ON LEVEL GROUND @ 45mph .

A BIT CHEEZY PERHAPS BUT NO ONE EVER RETURNED ONE COMPLAINING ABOUT ONLY GETTING 90 .

DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a guy in British Columbia who built a scorching-fast 3 wheeler for the X-prize competition. It did great on MPG, and featured a fuel vaporization system which greatly increased combustion efficiency while lowering emissions. He had a small company, then lost everything in a fire -- never restarted. Wish I could remember the name of the thing; the website was still up a year ago, though utterly inactive. A technology worth considering, esp. for those who want more performance while keeping mileage intact.

Oh, here it is. It was called the "ale" (accent mark over the e) . http://www.fuelvaporcar.com/html/the_car.html

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a guy in British Columbia who built a scorching-fast 3 wheeler for the X-prize competition. It did great on MPG, and featured a fuel vaporization system which greatly increased combustion efficiency while lowering emissions. He had a small company, then lost everything in a fire -- never restarted. Wish I could remember the name of the thing; the website was still up a year ago, though utterly inactive. A technology worth considering, esp. for those who want more performance while keeping mileage intact.

Oh, here it is. It was called the "ale" (accent mark over the e) . http://www.fuelvaporcar.com/html/the_car.html

Yes, a very sad adventure. But it's a little convenient to have a fire at that point. The fuel-vapor type carburetors have always been a suspicious and controversial technology, with high claims and disappointing calamities.

One of the known issues has been the lean running causes hot spots inside the engine which is a bit destructive to valves and seats, pistons etc. Conventional carburetors can run as lean as you might wish, but these are even worse for that issue. The vaporization method is supposed to perfectly mix the fuel eliminating hot points in the mix, more efficient burn, full thermal utilization etc.

Anyway, many questions about the technology and operational characteristics, very few hard answers.

Frankly, I'd put more expectation on the LiquidPiston engine than any more technical carburation solutions.

Reactions: Ekh
Top Bottom