• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where can I get a DOT approved Elio windshield

cerial

Reaction score
Hi I am cerial and I build things.

I wanted a E1C Elio car since 2013. Told everyone I was going to buy one (for $7000 then $9000) and slowly waited and waited.

I like the sheer simplicity of a g10 5 speed geo metro. I like the safe shape of the elio was and the fact it used the stupid simple g10/5 speed was a win in my book. I don't care about power or mileage. I am after the simple lightweight setup. Building lightweight means more then just power to weight ratio. Everything else can be built lighter and have less stresses then something heavier.

Elio going electric is just a deal killer for me as it throws lightweight out the window. Even with the limited battery pack size things will need to be built heavier then a gasoline setup. But, I do still want the car.

So If you cant buy what you want build what you want.

I went out and bought a 91 convertible(airbag and better brakes yet still no complex abs/ps) with a respectable body and 80k motor a couple months ago and been throwing cash at it. I plan on driving it for a year or two as a Back up Back up commuter to justify the 3k I have into it(lots of new parts). Over the 2 years I will scrounge a few extra 1.0/5 speed back up power trains for around another $2000 or so to rebuild into stock form engines and good shifting 5 speeds. Just to do a power train swap in a weekend deal when something goes.

I really don't care about the metro. I bought it because it has potential to be cut up and built into a "elio".

Now I don't want to build one with 3 wheels. I want the elio front and elio body(potentially elio replacement body parts). But the rear will have a very narrow solid axle(tube/hubs) and two 27/4.5-15 tires tucked up inside the "elio's" rear as tight as possible using a cantilever coil over setup that will take up the rear seat area. So it will have 4 wheels to avoid all the 3 wheel legal fun yet still have a fully enclosed cab so it can still be insured as a 4 wheel car not a "dune buggy" etc.

I can fabricate most things. The rough plan at this point is to roll aluminum tubing to make the elio shape/crash structure (crash video gives basic layout) and weld aluminum body panels onto that tubing to make a very strong yet lightweight shell.

The biggest issue I see in building an Elio"isk" looking car is a legal DOT approved windshield. I can build the car around a stock and potentially easy to replace elio windshield(and side glass). But I don't even know if they make/sell a elio windshield/side glass at this point that I can buy. You would think the ones shown driving around would have a DOT approved windshield and get chips etc needing a replacement windshield. But every thing I look up shows the ones that actually drive have a Plexi/safety glass windshield and it is legal because it is a "motorcycle".

I want a "car" not a "motorcycle". Insure it as a car and drive it around in rain/snow car weather. A car needs a DOT approved windshield. I can take a metro and basically make it significantly lighter and safer then a metro by building a elio"isk" shape. But I need that windshield.

You would think a release is just around the corner(within 2 years) and of course they are going to have a warehouse full of windshields at this point. It should not be that hard to order a windshield (potentially from a supplier) and of course have easy to order replacements later on. Maybe someone on here knows if DOT approved front replacement windshields are currently available. Maybe even the side glass.

I am sure I can "cut down" a metro or other windshield. It may take 3 or 4 ($250) attempts and how legal it would be would be questionable. I would much prefer to have something I can simply order and glue in place instead of a one off piece that will become a pain to replace later.

Are there any DOT approved elio replacement windshields I can have shipped to my home within the 2023 year?

Last edited:

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a thread on here, maybe in the Bex forum about windshields that may be helpful. I am all for DIY and it would be interesting if you documented your journey here as Mark Bex is doing. The first thing I would do though is search through every vehicle type you can find for something "close" that could be incorporated into what you are building. I remember in the old days, we would "hide" the lower part of the windshield in the cowl area when we were chopping tops, that may be an option to limit the height, and the older cars had (maybe the Nash Metropolitan?) had smaller and tighter windshields, and I am sure "antique" parts like that can still be used in a pinch.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
have you checked with any of the automotive windshield replacement companies .... I tend to believe they should have access to info about what's available

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I wanted a E1C Elio car since 2013. Told everyone I was going to buy one (for $7000 then $9000) and slowly waited and waited.

I like the sheer simplicity of a g10 5 speed geo metro. I like the safe shape of the elio was and the fact it used the stupid simple g10/5 speed was a win in my book. I don't care about power or mileage. I am after the simple lightweight setup. Building lightweight means more then just power to weight ratio. Everything else can be built lighter and have less stresses then something heavier.

Elio going electric is just a deal killer for me as it throws lightweight out the window. Even with the limited battery pack size things will need to be built heavier then a gasoline setup. But, I do still want the car.

I went out and bought a 91 convertible(airbag and better brakes yet still no complex abs/ps) with a respectable body and 80k motor a couple months ago and been throwing cash at it. I plan on driving it for a year or two as a Back up Back up commuter to justify the 3k I have into it(lots of new parts). Over the 2 years I will scrounge a few extra 1.0/5 speed back up power trains for around another $2000 or so to rebuild into stock form engines and good shifting 5 speeds. Just to do a power train swap in a weekend deal when something goes.

I really don't care about the metro. I bought it because it has potential to be cut up and built into a "elio".

Now I don't want to build one with 3 wheels. I want the elio front and elio body(potentially elio replacement body parts). But the rear will have a very narrow solid axle(tube/hubs) and two 27/4.5-15 tires tucked up inside the "elio's" rear as tight as possible using a cantilever coil over setup that will take up the rear seat area. So it will have 4 wheels to avoid all the 3 wheel legal fun yet still have a fully enclosed cab so it can still be insured as a 4 wheel car not a "dune buggy" etc.

I can fabricate most things. The rough plan at this point is to roll aluminum tubing to make the elio shape/crash structure (crash video gives basic layout) and weld aluminum body panels onto that tubing to make a very strong yet lightweight shell.

The biggest issue I see in building an Elio"isk" looking car is a legal DOT approved windshield. I can build the car around a stock and potentially easy to replace elio windshield(and side glass). But I don't even know if they make/sell a elio windshield/side glass at this point that I can buy. You would think the ones shown driving around would have a DOT approved windshield and get chips etc needing a replacement windshield. But every thing I look up shows the ones that actually drive have a Plexi/safety glass windshield and it is legal because it is a "motorcycle".

I want a "car" not a "motorcycle". Insure it as a car and drive it around in rain/snow car weather. A car needs a DOT approved windshield. I can take a metro and basically make it significantly lighter and safer then a metro by building a elio"isk" shape. But I need that windshield.

You would think a release is just around the corner(within 2 years) and of course they are going to have a warehouse full of windshields at this point. It should not be that hard to order a windshield (potentially from a supplier) and of course have easy to order replacements later on. Maybe someone on here knows if DOT approved front replacement windshields are currently available. Maybe even the side glass.

I am sure I can "cut down" a metro or other windshield. It may take 3 or 4 ($250) attempts and how legal it would be would be questionable. I would much prefer to have something I can simply order and glue in place instead of a one off piece that will become a pain to replace later.

Are there any DOT approved elio replacement windshields I can have shipped to my home within the 2023 year?
If your build has 3 wheels it is a motorcycle classified vehicle and registered, licensed, and insured as a motorcycle in all 50 States.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Its not, he said it would have 4 wheels, although the rear 2 could possibly be closer together.
" a very narrow solid axle(tube/hubs) and two 27/4.5-15 tires tucked up inside the "elio's" rear as tight as possible using a cantilever coil over setup that will take up the rear seat area. So it will have 4 wheels.."

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Welcome to the

Arilea can give you some relevant info about the glass when he sees your post. Oh, and welcome to the fray.

cerial

Reaction score
Guardians headquarters is only 115 miles away. I have a 4 year project to finish up then will contact them about the windshield this fall.

Thank you everyone for the help.

I will be back with a update within 2 years. Hopefully most of you will be driving around elios by then.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rough plan at this point is to roll aluminum tubing to make the elio shape/crash structure (crash video gives basic layout) and weld aluminum body panels onto that tubing to make a very strong yet lightweight shell.

Elio uses a unibody and pressed steel panels. They ditched the spaceframe and SMC back in 2015. The new Elio design is much better and much cheaper to produce over the old design. I would suggest you contact Elio Motors as they worked with Roush to make this happen. Thu they put hundreds of engineers on a project and found the best design. I'd contact Paul and have him send you the designs and then adapt them to your application.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I question if a motorcycle even needs a 'DOT' approved windscreen, if not, just get a hod rod shop to cut yours down to suit.

I have considered dual rear wheel, but one of the tires to be at a smaller diameter so it doesn't touch the ground, call it the 'spare', leaving just 3 tires touching, and after you get your registration, resize that 4th tire to match the other.

The new Elio design is much better and much cheaper to produce over the old design.

Economic scales apply. If you are going to make tens of thousands of the body panels, then you can offset the $10 million of press dies, plus the presses, plus the labour required to work them. You're pretty much going to need robotic welders too ...

If making less than say ten thousand, then spaceframe and fiberglass is far more cost effective.

Top Bottom