• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Who Will Be Getting These Couple Dozen Test Vehicles?

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Thanks for posting the E Series projected outline.

Just hope the Elio Team tests for temperatures lower than minus 20'F. Minus 40'F would be best cause we do see temps in the minus 30's many times over the years and that is without the windchill.

I hear ya, if I lived in Canada, I'd want my car maker to test to -40 degrees F. But in that Ford article that was mentioned in this thread, it talks about only the F-150 getting tested to -40 degrees. It implies the rest of their fleet of models gets tested to -22 degrees.

Just to play devil's advocate, do the folks in Canada avoid buying Fords because they are only tested to -22 degrees? Don't you plug in the radiator when it gets that cold, regardless of the make and model? I really don't know, I'm asking. :D

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hear ya, if I lived in Canada, I'd want my car maker to test to -40 degrees F. But in that Ford article that was mentioned in this thread, it talks about only the F-150 getting tested to -40 degrees. It implies the rest of their fleet of models gets tested to -22 degrees.

Just to play devil's advocate, do the folks in Canada avoid buying Fords because they are only tested to -22 degrees? Don't you plug in the radiator when it gets that cold, regardless of the make and model? I really don't know, I'm asking. :D
Most ppl do plug in their Block Heaters yes.

My wife and my car both use Synthetic Oil by Amsoil. We only plug in our vehicles when it gets below -25'C or or -13'F.

My wife drives a Chrysler and I drive a Nissan Maxima

Many of my friends drive Fords be they cars or Trucks

As long as Engines have working Block Heaters and are plugged in we are good for -40'C/F as long as the Battery holds out. We do have Battery blankets we used to use before using Synthetic Oil.

Anderson Howard

Elio Addict
Reaction score

My wife and my car both use Synthetic Oil by Amsoil. We only plug in our vehicles when it gets below -25'C or or -13'F.

As long as Engines have working Block Heaters and are plugged in we are good for -40'C/F as long as the Battery holds out. We do have Battery blankets we used to use before using Synthetic Oil.
Mercedes used to come to Northern Minnesota to cold weather test.

Paul DeCrans

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the E Series projected outline.

Just hope the Elio Team tests for temperatures lower than minus 20'F. Minus 40'F would be best cause we do see temps in the minus 30's many times over the years and that is without the windchill.
It also gets very cold here in fargo but I most likely wont be driving my elio on those days as the wind here would almost blow me off the road

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Very interesting and good to learn, thanks acamara.

Charles Stanley

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Who will be testing fender attachment?
You need to understand that the fender attachment points on the P5 and other prototypes is and never was going to be the final assembly. The attachment points that failed on the P5 were makeshift. Elio motors knew that they would have to take the fenders off often to allow them to get the prototype into narrow doorways at some of the indoor venues they showed the vehicle at. As such the attachment points were not fully designed for the long haul or production. They needed attachments points that could be quickly and easily used to take off the fenders or put them back on. Our Elios will have a much better attachment system in place.

Top Bottom