• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Elio Is A Gold Mine

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As of yesterday, the Autocycle Safety Act is still in subcommittee in the House and Senate. Neither have done anything since the bills were introduced, and both have a 2% chance of being passed.
WWW.congress.gov
Hmmm hope they get moving on this a bit faster so the Elio can hit the market soon so that Elio can be proven to be a Gold Mine for us early buyers.

Treading gently to get back on track here

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm hope they get moving on this a bit faster so the Elio can hit the market soon so that Elio can be proven to be a Gold Mine for us early buyers.

Treading gently to get back on track here
Try kicking it with the side of your foot. If that doesn't work, hit it with your hip, like I do when the car door doesn't close securely.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if the Elio were classified so that it could participate in the carbon credits program, the amount of credits it can generate will likely be somewhat less than one would think. This is because the standards below which a vehicle fleet generates credits are based on the vehicles' "footprint," which is literally the wheelbase times the distance between the wheels. In Elio's case, that footprint could be considered as the area of the triangle between the front and rear wheels. I estimate the Elio's footprint would be about 25 sq ft, which is not on this chart but you can guesstimate where it would land:

image.png

If the Elio were to be produced in 2017, it's standard/target may come in at around 44 mpg, and so its credits would be calculated as its certified mpg rating relative to that target, which is still probably a significant amount of credits if Elio can produce the vehicle in high numbers. Also keep in mind that manufacturers of larger vehicles with larger footprints have a lower target they have to meet, and therefore would not need as many credits.

Still, any CAFE credits is icing as others have pointed out, so any movement to get Elio qualified for CAFE credits is a good thing.

Top Bottom