• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Elio Motors Have An Ability To Protect It's Business Model?

Aprilia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand how Elio Motors will protect their business model from being copied...or duplicated by another firm...

In this competitive business environment ...successful ideas are always subject to piracy unless protected by trademark's & patent's...

Last edited:

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand how Elio Motors will protect their business model from being copied...or duplicated by another firm...

In this competitive business environment ...successful ideas are always subject to piracy unless protected by trademark's & patient's...

I had a similar thought and while there are no guarantees, I concluded that Elio is building a moat. At least that is what we call it in my industry. A unique set of features\utility, safety, price, and style. There is room for other combinations which give heavier weight to different aspects. In the end, this endeavor still seems like an expansion of the market rather than just adding another product competing for the same buyers.

Aprilia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Given the fact that Tesla & Elio are so often compared as innovative transportation solutions...I looked up Tesla Motors patent's ...very impressive!

Tesla has certainly protected their technology from possible encroachment by other companies..I hope Elio does the same!.

Here's an interesting link... http://stks.freshpatents.com/Tesla-Motors-Inc-nm1.php

Last edited:

Aprilia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM has stated that the target price is set to discourage competition (margins below auto standards).

If they are able to successfully sell & produce 50K...or more vehicles...I have no doubt existing companies will enter the niche they have created...

Hopefully Elio Motors will have patent's & trademark's in place to protect the uniqueness of their product...

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Given the fact that Tesla & Elio are so often compared as innovative transportation solutions...I looked up Tesla Motors patient's ...very impressive!

Tesla has certainly protected their technology from possible encroachment by other companies..I hope Elio does the same!.

Her's an interesting link... http://stks.freshpatents.com/Tesla-Motors-Inc-nm1.php

Except that Tesla has released it's technology for anybody else to use :rolleyes:

Elio's "protection" is the fact that nobody else wants to do what they are doing. None of the existing auto manufacturers can beat EM's price point, because of how their production and distribution models are designed. And if they copy the three-wheel, tandem seat design.... then so what? It just means more people will become accepting of the design and buy an autocycle to replace their car.

Elio doesn't have any of their own technology to even patent! It is specifically built using as much off-the-shelf parts as possible, and everything custom-made is being built using tried-and-true practices. They trade-mark the name and the logo, and I'm sure they've filed a design patent for the specific look (i.e. aerodynamic lines) of the production model, but a design patent is not a technology patent.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Given the fact that Tesla & Elio are so often compared as innovative transportation solutions...I looked up Tesla Motors patient's ...very impressive!

Her's an interesting link... http://stks.freshpatents.com/Tesla-Motors-Inc-nm1.php
there is no new technology,
I also think the moat is bridgeable with units/ companies that are competitive in design- price will be a minor factor ( for folks who can afford it)- i.e. $10k from a "known" manufacturer Toyota, Honda.
I believe the real competition will be knock-offs from either India or China which could not only produce lookalikes, but undercut 6.8k. Sure the quality ain't there- just look at the scooter market being flooded and undercutting Vespa/Honda/Suzuki- BTW I've owned the Bergman 650- wonderful piece of technology (put another wheel, enclose it)
of course I think I paid 10k for it- about double the rest of the market but worth every penny. I'd pay 14-15k if Suzuki came out with their version of the E

Aprilia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It (the Elio) is specifically built using as much off-the-shelf parts as possible

Hummm...Off-the-shelf?

** The complete frame structure is custom made to Elio specs...

** The engine is spec designed to Elio's application...

** All the body panels (inside & out) are spec designed...

** All the suspension pieces are are designed to Elio specs...

** The wiring harness will be custom made to Elio specs...

** All the glass will have be produced to Elio specs

** The transmission will have to be custom calibrated to Elio's specs...

** The wiper hardware will have to be designed to Elio specs...

** etc...etc...etc...

In my humble opinion...the Elio is a custom design in almost all aspects...not off- the-shelf any more than the norm in the automobile industry...

Top Bottom