• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will It Float ??

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a '77 beetle. I remember one time the road flooded out. My friend and I (we were 16 at the time) drove around the line of cars stopped at the water line watching the water, and drove right in. The water was not flowing. It was about 50 yards across, but the momentum that we hit the water with was enough to float us to the other side. We rolled the windows down and pretended we were rowing. All the other cars were laughing at us, but no others attempted it.
My brother was driving home from church and was taking a back way home. We came to a small stretch where there was a barricade blocking the way because it was really muddy, he thought that the 59 Impala he was driving would do just fine. It didn't! It got stuck pretty imediately but he didn't give up until it was axle deep and mud was coming through holes in the floor like one of those Playdo shape makers! It would not float. I'll take my chances with the Elio if there isn't an old school VW beetle handy!

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My brother was driving home from church and was taking a back way home. We came to a small stretch where there was a barricade blocking the way because it was really muddy, he thought that the 59 Impala he was driving would do just fine. It didn't! It got stuck pretty imediately but he didn't give up until it was axle deep and mud was coming through holes in the floor like one of those Playdo shape makers! It would not float. I'll take my chances with the Elio if there isn't an old school VW beetle handy!

I was always told that God will protect you on the way to church. Coming home, you're on your own! I'm not sure how sound that theology is, but it makes for a good story!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As a self appointed agent for GM. You are hereby notified that you have with forethought and possible malice, violated our cool slogan. You are ordered to cease and desist, or face further proceedings.

This is not a drill.

as one who has sunk more than one Chevy Like-A-Rock while off roading, I know from which I speak o_O

Jim

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well the VW beetle actually advertised it, I remember the ads, very effective.

I remember those ads too! I can also attest that the Beetle was airtight- I was at a car show in Boston (early 70's) and they had a Beetle with a 4" hole in the windshield on display. They had me hold a lit candle about 30' away and slammed the drivers door, the candle flame was extinguished. They suggested leaving the window slightly open so you wouldn't pop your eardrums when closing the door!

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was always told that God will protect you on the way to church. Coming home, you're on your own! I'm not sure how sound that theology is, but it makes for a good story!
I have a feeling that falls under the catagory of Preacher Theology. Often times it's more advice than theology. My favorite PT is , "If the Devil offers you a ride, take it to where you want to go and then, get off!" Again, it's probably not the soundest theology but advice worth considering.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a feeling that falls under the catagory of Preacher Theology. Often times it's more advice than theology. My favorite PT is , "If the Devil offers you a ride, take it to where you want to go and then, get off!" Again, it's probably not the soundest theology but advice worth considering.

Remember the saying..."nobody rides for free"...?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back then, many cars were airtight enough to have to crack the side window a bit (or the vent window, remember those?). Otherwise closing the door was like trying to push a truck, took quite a bit of effort.
I well remember having to slam the door to get it closed

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back then, many cars were airtight enough to have to crack the side window a bit (or the vent window, remember those?). Otherwise closing the door was like trying to push a truck, took quite a bit of effort.
These days cars have vents in the trunk designed to let air out but not in. It's just a mesh with some flaps over it. It's used so that the force to close the doors or a hatch doesn't pop the glass out, because other than the flaps today's cars are too air tight.

Remember the saying..."nobody rides for free"...?
Cash, grass or gas, the rule of the road.

Top Bottom