• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Windshield Wiper's Odd Geometry

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
For what it's worth, even a 12" wiper would work in rain as you will still only be looking out the swipe in front of you...you know, the one where every bug likes to commit suidice!

Snow is going to be the real good reason for this large clearing path.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My understanding is that it will be very similar to this but most of the mechanism will be hidden from view and the entire wiper will be hidden out of the airstream when stowed.

Elio Motors has shown a drawing of the P4 with this type of wiper on it however we have not yet seen it on an Elio Vehicle.
View attachment 2544 View attachment 2545
*Top image was provided by member RogWild and the lower one can be found on blog.eliomotors.com. I did crop and/or blow up the images to make things easier to see.

We will quickly adapt however it will look odd for a bit as the wipers will move horizontally across the windshield instead of in an arc like in most vehicles. The good news is that we will save some money as we only need one wiper blade. :D
I just realized as I read this that I have driven something some time in my life that had the wipers moving horizontally across the windshield. I wonder what it was. I have no idea off hand but now I am very curious about that. Thanks for posting the explanation and the drawings. I have a hunch this is going to drive me nuts until I figure it out. :p :rolleyes: :) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just realized as I read this that I have driven something some time in my life that had the wipers moving horizontally across the windshield. I wonder what it was. I have no idea off hand but now I am very curious about that. Thanks for posting the explanation and the drawings. I have a hunch this is going to drive me nuts until I figure it out. :p :rolleyes: :) Z
Like this?
image.jpg

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drove '41 Ford business coupe for years. Originally had vacuum wipers. Interesting thing about vacuum wipers is they quit working if you pulled out to pass another car in the rain. And for those who complain about the Elio being underpowered, that old Ford must have weighed 3500 lbs. with an 85 hp flathead V8. Now there's a weak 0 to 60 time!

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For what it's worth, even a 12" wiper would work in rain as you will still only be looking out the swipe in front of you...you know, the one where every bug likes to commit suidice!

Snow is going to be the real good reason for this large clearing path.
FWIW .... Current FEDERAL regulations (for automobiles; ?? autocycles ??) requires that the 'wipers' clean 90% of the windshield surface.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Irregardless of Federal Regs.........I want as much surface area clean and unobstructed for visibility as possible........from a safety prospective.............no doubt why we need Federal Regulations......many would and are driving with a small frost scraped peep hole in the windshield to view out of while drinking coffee, making cell calls, and texting. Sorry, but a pet peeve........one of a 100......... as I grow older.

Top Bottom