• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

With Gas Prices Falling, Will That Impact Sales Of High Eff Cars?

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the marketing as an "and" car and the low first cost will insulate the Elio from the demand being so closely tied to gas prices. Right now my only vehicle is a full sized pickup because I could only afford one vehicle and needed towing capacity. The desire to have a daily driver/road warrior vehicle is about keeping miles off my truck and ease of parking in crowded parking lots, and a $20 or $30 swing at the pumps doesn't really change that. At under $10K, I can justify owning a second vehicle. The fact that gas prices are cheaper only means that I'll have more money available in my transportation budget each month. And all those folks that did pick their vehicle size based on gas prices can rush out to get an Elio when the gas prices go back up.

The real question is whether the driving experience will live up to our expectations. If I get the same grin I get from using all the power of my V8, I'll spend plenty of time in the Elio. If it feels like an economy car and can't keep up with interstate driving, I won't.

driving fast in a slow car can be as fun as driving fast in a fast car.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
yep, just find a really "tight" road (like the Dragon) and impress the fast cars :)
MiataMeme.jpg

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
yep, just find a really "tight" road (like the Dragon) and impress the fast cars :)

Considering just how light the Elio is, and that fact it's equipped with ABS, Stability Control, and (so I've read) toggled traction control, I suspect it has the potential to handle very well. The lack of power steering may improve the road-feel as well. Sure it's not going to be quick out of a turn, but it could be quick in one :D

If you want to, that is.

Choicecut

Reaction score
If folks were smart they would take this opportunity to save cash, but that is typically not the american way. I took this opportunity to unload my 2006 unlimited rubicon averaging 11mpg for a 2010 low mileage prius and 3k cash in my pocket. Now is the time to offload the gas guzzlers if you got them, they are getting top dollar.

Gas will go back up, so in the short term it may hurt high efficiency cars, but it will come back around. I look forward to getting my Elio regardless of gas prices.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what percentage will actually be US made. I know the website specifically says "North American" but I'm fearing a big chunk would be made in Mexico, as many parts are these days. Anyone have an idea of the breakdown, yet? It's probably far too early to know I imagine. I do believe Paul's committed to US made products, but whether they're going to actually account for around 90% of the parts, I'm skeptical due to that phrasing. I still think it's likely to be well over 50% US made, however.
90%

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We Americans are addicted to gasoline. Plain and simple. For most people, that addiction means that they don't seek a way to reduce the money that is spent on gasoline. Yet when gas prices go down, short-term memory still reigns supreme, and they feed that addiction and buy gas guzzlers. Then when gas goes back up soon, they'll go back to ignoring how much they (really) spend on gasoline. Many Americans will gladly increase their debt to have gas guzzlers. Doesn't make much sense to me, but there ya go.

IMO, I don't know if lower gas prices means a reduction in high-efficiency vehicle sales. Seems unlikely that a person in November was thinking of buying a Prius, and now will buy a Highlander SUV. Well, anyone except males under 24 yrs old. lol

I'm thinking the used car market for 6- and 8-cyl engines might be moving to a sellers market now. :) And, I bet sales of scooters will be going down.
I think what it shoes is that American motorists, as a demographic, don't want small cars. They only tolerate them because of the price of gas.

Top Bottom