• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Would With Your Elio ?

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I TURNED ONE OF MY ISETTAS OVER TO A VALET .
IT WAS QUITE AMUSING TO SEE HIM TRY TO FIGURE OUT HOW THE THING WORKS .
IN THE END HE DECIDED IT WOULD BE BETTER IF I PARK IT .

I DON'T THINK THE ELIO WOULDN'T HAVE THE SAME EFFECT .
100_2710.JPG

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had one of the first fieros on the road and when I showed up at some swank place in Milwaukee the older valet guy didn't even want to attempt parking it and just pointed me to where I should park it. Its 20 years later and I think I now appreciate his desire to not climb that low to the ground and hope he could get out again. An elio will be different but I suspect most valets will let us park our own cars.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't let them park anything, goes against my grain. My Elio will be a manual, so that limits the "test drivers" somewhat! Other wise it'll be just like any other car I have.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've only been to one place that had Valet parking .... a fish house in southern California .... the only reason they had Valet parking was the didn't have sufficient parking space right beside their parking lot .... so, for me its a non issue, we don't travel in those circles

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would a Valet know how to park something that only had two external rear view mirrors to see behind?
Would you trust them to?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
While I was a college student wrapping up my studies at various times I worked as a parking valet at a very upscale country club as well as several upscale restaurants. Thanks to these experiences I learned that there are big discrepancies between what people generally believe about parking valets and the truth in terms of what generally goes on. While there are always exceptions companies which provide these services are generally quite cautious about this parking services as there is a heck of a lot of potential liability involved when an employee takes custody of the clients vehicle.

Thanks to insurance requirements you will very rarely see anyone under 21 working these jobs and over 25 is even better in terms of insurance costs. Insurance carriers also require at least basic criminal and driving history background checks as well as offering big incentives for drug and even alcohol testing. The company I worked for not only conducted random drug testing but they even had a handheld breathalyzer on site at each work site which we had to blow into before each shift. We were even required to blow into the breathalyzer while standing in a designated spot within clear view of security camera so this action was documented just in case there was an incident.

Along with the insurance requirements parking valet jobs generally pay quite well as compared to most unskilled jobs. This makes it much easier for employers to be selective in their hiring and gives employees a good incentive not to screw around too much as it is difficult to easily replace this income.

The biggest problem with the job was not the cars but the people who drove them. People can be quite rude, impossible to please, and/or some people will even decide they are entitled to belittle or abuse you simply because they can get away with it. We were also regularly falsely accused of causing some kind of damage and/or theft however I can tell you these claims were nearly always complete BS. Despite the annoying people I really enjoyed my time as a parking valet as it was relatively easy work that generally paid quite well thanks to all the tips. Also as a car guy I was able to drive a heck of a lot of nice cars including a number of exotics which most of us can only dream about owning. :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom