• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wrap That Rascal

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are correct, the F-111 is the Aardvark,:) but "VF-111" is an F-14 squadron (the Sundowners) that was in my hangar back in the early '80s (I was in VF-124, the other squadron was VF-211). All the VF-111 planes had the shark teeth, but only the Commanding Officer (pictured) had the cool red and white paint job...the rest were just different shades of grey.
Thanks for the clarification. That was a very unique F-14. I like the Warhawk motif, even saw it on a retired submarine in Buffalo. Attached are the photos from the Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Military Park. They show the USS Croaker sub, one of its torpedoes, and the PTF-17 Fast Patrol Boat. Much as I would like to make my Elio distinctive with a Warhawk motif, it would appear that the idea is far too popular for it to be unique.

I discovered that the P-40s were each painted with the eyes and teeth, not covered with decals. With due respect to Nathan and his application skills on wraps, it sounds like, long term, wrap materials are not the way to go.
IMAG0615.jpg
USS Croaker.JPG
IMAG0613.jpg

RickD

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of these nice photo shop Elio paint jobs and think that I might get this vehicle wrapped for a custom look.

I've read that the biggest cost in a really nice custom wrap is the initial pattern needs to get made to fit the car.

Once that's done there is a template to put a really nice design on to fit the car just right.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into vinyl wraps or what the process is in getting one made up. I'd be interested in putting money into a community pot if I could get get a copy of the file of the Elio skin pattern after one has been completed.

I love this retro look.
my8atady.jpg
Now that looks great! I love it!

Nitro

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) color bleed? ......none
2) Lifespan?.......3-5 years. lighter colored vehicles, a little longer. Hoods, roofs & trunk lids age faster. "Peel, bubble"......edges, where panels meet, (example: where nose meets fenders) will tend to lift/peel/bubble. Some people try to cover these "seams" without cutting the film...doesn't work.
3) Side affects?......"mileage"...No. On "partial wraps" or stripes, where some paint is exposed, after several years the exposed paint can fade or look dull, leaving a ghost of the previous graphic "shape". Sometimes buffing can make it less noticeable.
4) Forget me not?....See # 3

Other things to ponder: At most seams and edges, the wrap will be "cut back" a hair to prevent lifting or pealing. So, you will see the paint(body color). And because "trimming" is done on the car, leaving cut marks on the paint is unavoidable.
Removing your wrap...can be labor intensive (costly). Although It is possible to do it yourself, with a heat gun or a "vinyl eraser" and a gallon of adhesive remover (not Goo Gone), if done wrong, you could damage / blister the paint. :)

Wow! Thanks for all the grate information! I guess I'll just have to find a way to get mine in yellow =p

Top Bottom