• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wrap Vs Paint

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For a Luxury vehicle, I believe this to be a legitimate argument. For a budget one like the Elio, (no offence. it is what it is) I can't see recouping enough to make it worth the expense...

Example: All other things being the same... If I have a 10 year old, sun-bleached Elio that I wanted to sell vs one with a virgin factory paint job, will it improve the resale valve more than $1200? Say, $2500 vs $3700 (pulling 10 year old resale values out of my... thin air)

I've always driven the wheels off cars I've bought new. I don't typically think in these lines...

-sterling

Sure, it's not cost effective in itself. BUT if you really wanted a Yellow one, then the additional preservative powers of the wrap would make it a bonus, yes?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
One point to remember with a wrap vs. a color change paint job, the door jamb is not going to match in a wrap, same goes for certain areas around the rear hatch opening. Most wraps will end and not go into the door openings; if you've ever seem them wrap a car, it's easy to understand why.
A color change paint job will do the door jamb and any other exposed areas; that's why a color change is so much more expensive; it's a lot of work.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One point to remember with a wrap vs. a color change paint job, the door jamb is not going to match in a wrap, same goes for certain areas around the rear hatch opening. Most wraps will end and not go into the door openings; if you've ever seem them wrap a car, it's easy to understand why.
A color change paint job will do the door jamb and any other exposed areas; that's why a color change is so much more expensive; it's a lot of work.

Getting a base black color would probably look ok wrapped with the door jambs, under hood, trunk lid, etc all being black.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It's simply too expensive for my taste. $200 for a wrap would change my mind. But $1600? Nope. Simple cost benefit. A $1000 carport is more attractive and sits right in between those price points.
$200 wouldn't even cover material; plus it's 20 to 30 labor hours to do a full wrap on a car. It's a lot of work.
$1,475 is cheap for a wrap, I talked to a couple of shops I know that do it and they would charge $2,400 to $2,700 parts and labor.

Even a Macco 2 stage paint job (down and dirty) is $1,700.00

I have a place down the street here that will do metal "car ports" for $675.00 what are you looking at for $1,000?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe they plan to save a bunch on the labor hours by wrapping the panels before assembly?
They have already said that wraps will be done at the marshaling centers after the Elio is built.
But if you have patterns to go by, and the only thing this crew wraps are the Elio's, they will have it pretty down pat in a hurry.

Top Bottom