• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Xr3; Build It Yourself Three Wheeler?

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Motorcycles are rear wheel drive.. Well two wheel ones and Harley three wheel, I only assume the makes /models three wheel bikes are rear wheel drive also..
The rear wheel is electrically driven the front two by diesel power,

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
xr3_master-asmy-tv1-b.jpg

this is very informative.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the XR3 is a good looking 3 wheeler. I even bought the plans. It's fatal flaw is that the build plans are INSANELY complicated and require advanced welding, body work, fiberglass shaping, molding, roughing, painting....basically you have to be an entire factory. Robert Riley promised a kit form which is what I was really waiting for, but it never materialized.

Anyhow, I did the math, and the XR3 can theoretically peak out at about 79 mpg highway and mid 40's in the city. For the build complexity (PITA), time, sweat, tears, and money ($20K), NOT good enough, IMO.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the XR3 is a good looking 3 wheeler. I even bought the plans. It's fatal flaw is that the build plans are INSANELY complicated and require advanced welding, body work, fiberglass shaping, molding, roughing, painting....basically you have to be an entire factory. Robert Riley promised a kit form which is what I was really waiting for, but it never materialized.

Anyhow, I did the math, and the XR3 can theoretically peak out at about 79 mpg highway and mid 40's in the city. For the build complexity (PITA), time, sweat, tears, and money ($20K), NOT good enough, IMO.

I ALMOST bought the plans & I loved the concept, too. Riley made it clear that this was a concept that each owner was free to change however they saw fit...I thought a '53 corvette grille would look nice. It could be built as a front wheel drive, using a Kubota 3-cyl diesel, or a rwd electric, or a hybrid. I followed one build thread that was rwd using a H-D engine! I only wanted to do a turbo-diesel only (10K in materials), as electric was spec'd to add another 10K. Too much time and money. GO ELIO ! ! !

Top Bottom