• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

250,000 Units Per Year ?

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped:Now the trading of 'points' for fleet mpg's, that aspect actually encourages competition to jump in to get their own 'points'.

Competition benefits the consumer, it was ever thus......Elio's price point
makes it difficult for Electric,Hybrid,Diesel,etc. to effectively compete. They
will have to adopt the 'options profit' to offset their unit losses, if they want to
play in Elio's yard. As for 'Cafe Credits' those who can already have.............
wile%20e.jpg

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio also stated he wasn't relying on the loan, but it would be irresponsible as a CEO to not apply. Also, the funds wouldn't be used to get started, but rather to jump start things in high gear instead of building up - or such is my impression.

Thanks Joshua. Makes me feel more comfortable. Having spent time around boardrooms I tend to give CEOspeak little credence and so I haven't gotten used to Paul's direct sort of communication style yet. If he stated that production is absolutely not contingent upon results of the DOE application, I have no choice but to take that at face value but the lack of apparent progress on securing funding is a major worry. If they are to meet their objective of kicking genuine production off in Q3 of 2015, they'll need at least a major chuck of that by year's end. Nothing would be worse than to get part of the money and to try to eek out the first 10000 vehicles in a rush in order to build momentum to attract enough money to do it right.

Like I said, this sure is going to be an interesting rodeo to watch and doubtless quite the emotional roller coaster for those with heart in the waiting game.

Richad

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I do NOT want to break any bubbles ..

and I DO have my $ where my mouth is ! I am ALL IN for an Elio !!

CAN ANYONE NAME A VEHICLE WITH A PRODUCTION OF 250,000 PER YEAR ??

anyone ?

US or China or Japan ?????

someone commented they would not purchase engines from another manufacture because they could not keep up with the 250,000 projection ?

REALLY ????

I know NOTHING ABOUT PRODUCTION NUMBERS !

hmmmmmm
Sounds like wishful thinking

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
GM has sold over 2.2 million light-vehicles in the first 9 months of 2014. Total auto sales in the U.S. are projected to hit 17 million light-vehicles in 2015.
http://www.autonews.com/section/us_monthly_sales

Could Elio could acquire 250,000 (1.4%) of the 17 million?
  • Could be a game changer for the auto industry...
  • Ridiculously high mpg and ridiculously low price of the Elio could make it possible.
  • Not to mention the enormous impact on used cars sales. All used cars would have lower mpg, and many, many would have higher used-car prices than a new Elio.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No problem to make lots of an item, just size the production facility approiately. Big issue is selling those, and I don't think that will be an issue. Just look at the diverse roup on this forum. We all find it apealing for many different reasons. The most telling is cost vs ANYTHING else and MPG vs ANYTHING else indipendent of price. There is no competition! And notice the 250000 units are built in 2 shifts on the same equipment. A good engineer plans for contigency, low sales = 1 shift, sales meet projections=2 shifts (as stated) and GREAT sales = add a 3rd shift(or work overtime).
I have experienced an engine development program. I am fairly certain that the castings shown are far from the only castings. Casting development takes several(to MANY) interations of cast it then machine it and measure it. That is done in private because the first few times don't go as expected, thats "development". Wall thicknesses need to be confirmed, passages verified, ect. The engine will have run many hours and interations on a dyno/hot test BEFORE anyone in the general public is informed that "the engine is ready" Quit worrying about it, when it's ready he'll unveil it! They are not going to show us the engine until it is proven. How would folks react if they said "hey we got an engine ready for dyno testing" and it failed at 5 hours???? (thats not unusual) That is exactly what has to be avoided. Nothing works perfectly first try, I am sure ,from past experience, that there have been many castings machined and assembled. When the final rendetion is validated we will hear and NOT before. Lots of concurrent development going on, this is not like building a gocart in the garage where you have to do everything in sequence all by your lonesome.
By the way, we build 1000 automobile engines, from casting to ready to hang a trans on, in one 8 hr shift, no big deal :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No problem to make lots of an item, just size the production facility approiately. Big issue is selling those, and I don't think that will be an issue. Just look at the diverse roup on this forum. We all find it apealing for many different reasons. The most telling is cost vs ANYTHING else and MPG vs ANYTHING else indipendent of price. There is no competition! And notice the 250000 units are built in 2 shifts on the same equipment. A good engineer plans for contigency, low sales = 1 shift, sales meet projections=2 shifts (as stated) and GREAT sales = add a 3rd shift(or work overtime).
I have experienced an engine development program. I am fairly certain that the castings shown are far from the only castings. Casting development takes several(to MANY) interations of cast it then machine it and measure it. That is done in private because the first few times don't go as expected, thats "development". Wall thicknesses need to be confirmed, passages verified, ect. The engine will have run many hours and interations on a dyno/hot test BEFORE anyone in the general public is informed that "the engine is ready" Quit worrying about it, when it's ready he'll unveil it! They are not going to show us the engine until it is proven. How would folks react if they said "hey we got an engine ready for dyno testing" and it failed at 5 hours???? (thats not unusual) That is exactly what has to be avoided. Nothing works perfectly first try, I am sure ,from past experience, that there have been many castings machined and assembled. When the final rendetion is validated we will hear and NOT before. Lots of concurrent development going on, this is not like building a gocart in the garage where you have to do everything in sequence all by your lonesome.
By the way, we build 1000 automobile engines, from casting to ready to hang a trans on, in one 8 hr shift, no big deal :)

well stated .... info based on your experience is appreciated

Jim

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how many Active EMPLOYEES are currently working at Elio ??

Where is the actual prototype production being performed ?

Where are the jigs being used to bend the steel tubing to create the frames ?

Where are the plugs being refined to create the fiberglass body panels ??

As an "investor" putting down a non-refundable deposit do we have the rights to visit and see what is being done ?

If you research CorbinMotors. You will see the small restaurant Mike Corbin. Built right at the factory , along with overhead webcams showing each. Vehicle being built.

Brilliant ideas !

The electric Sparrow cost $15,000.00

App. 275 were produced.

I still have three Sparrow EV's

As I sat in traffic at 5am on I95 south going into Miami with all 6 lanes stopped (except the HOV LANE)

I was riding on a Yamaha TW200 motorcycle new list price about $5200.00

I looked all around and. What I saw this week was exactly what I saw 15 years ago, 95% of people commute to work ALONE ! My life in the Caribbean of course there is NO TRAFFIC , BUT IN THE STATES NOTHING HAS CHANGED ...

Paul Elio quotes the exact same statistics as Mike Corbin did 15 years ago ...

And in 1975 the inventor of the FREEWAY. 100 MPG said the exact same thing ...

Timing is everything in life, and with the world in a state of major crisis. This silly little three wheeled. "motorcycle". (?). If it could just get into production, so small enclosed transportation pods become the "norm"

They really could have a profound effect on the future of this world ...

I put down over $100,000. Investment and waited YEARS for the Sparrow to have a go at becoming a solution ...

With rockets being launched at a cost over $1 MILLION EACH to blow up the equipment we gave the Iraqis just a few years ago, now in the hands of the "new" terrorists. ....

A possible solution is SO OBVIOUS it defies reason. ...stop launching the rockets for one week and get production of vehicles (like the Elio). That would help to lower our dependence on foreign oil, and then let the countries in the MiddleEast work together to solve their own problems ...

REDUCE TRAFFIC
REDUCE POLUTION
REDUCE DEPENDANCE ON FOSSIL FUELS

While we in the USA strive to help one another to live happy healthy quality lives

Timing is everything

Deja Vu ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW, RKing. Thanks for all of that wonderful, and MUCH needed insight into the production of an automobile motor: IT was MUCH needed and I'm sure, GREATLY appreciated by all of us on this forum! :)

You shared with us MORE in that one post, and gave us MORE renewed faith than we have gotten from the last 6 months of "Weekly EM Blogs!" :)

Paul Elio should ask YOU to run his PR Department. . . . . . . , at least say, "thank you," for a job well done! :rolleyes:

(Guys; now that's what is known in the "shrink world" as a 'Warm Fuzzy' NOT a 'Cold Prickly.")

Please keep up the fine work, RKing. :D

Top Bottom