• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

9/24/14 Tech Talk - Nearing The Finish Line

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors Tech Talk v35
View this email in your browser
83468eef-7e35-4e13-897e-736414932a0d.jpg
Focused on the Finish Line…What Drives us Every Day?

Everyone knows that Henry Ford had a monumental impact on the history and direction of American industry and the rise of the American middle class. His implementation of the assembly line improved mass production and made cars affordable. He paid his workers $5 per day so they could afford to buy a Ford and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

But, what people might not realize was the timeframe in which Mr. Ford perfected his manufacturing processes and built his company. He started building cars in 1896. He didn’t launch Ford Motor Co. until 1903 and didn’t implement the conveyor-belt-based assembly line until 1913.
7c8907e7-4c07-427d-9e9d-d11691ae10cd.jpg

Early Model T assembly line at Ford's Highland Park, Mich., plant.

And as for the vehicle price? In 1920, the Model T price dropped to $575. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator, that equals $6,838 in 2014 dollars. So, it took Henry Ford nearly 24 years to produce a car that was cost-competitive with the Elio today!

Given that this is year six of our development, we realize we are making significant and rapid progress. Just in the past two years, we have developed a world-class supplier network, built four generations of prototypes, utilized advanced simulation tools to make engineering changes and advancements, achieved several important legislative victories that will benefit our customers, secured a world-class manufacturing facility, purchased the facility’s existing production equipment, determined exactly how the vehicle will be built, announced the sale of our surplus equipment, named Pep Boys as our official service provider and announced the formation of our fleet sales division. Those are all important milestones that represent a solid foundation for our success.

But, there is still important work to be done, and much like Henry Ford did, our goal is to make a significant societal impact. Manufacturing is simply too important to the future of our country not to succeed. We could have cut corners and worked with foreign based suppliers, or even built the vehicle overseas. But, one of our core values is to create American jobs and stimulate our economy.

Why is this so important? The auto industry is one of the most important industries in the United States. According to the Center for Automotive Research (CAR) the auto industry historically contributes 3 – 3.5 percent to the overall Gross Domestic Product (GDP). The industry directly employs more than 1.7 million people engaged in designing, engineering, manufacturing, and supplying parts and components to assemble, sell and service new motor vehicles.

Approximately 4.5 percent of all U.S. jobs are supported by the strong presence of the auto industry in the U.S. economy. People in these jobs collectively earn over $500 billion annually and generate more than $70 billion in tax revenues, according to CAR.

But, manufacturing jobs in the United States have been disappearing for two decades. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, approximately 16.8 million people were employed in manufacturing in 1993. By 2013, that number had dipped to below 12 million. Much of this decline has come in the auto industry. According to CAR, U.S. domestic auto manufacturing market share was 73.7 percent in 1993. But, according to the Wall Street Journal, that share dropped to 42.4 percent in 2013.

That’s why it’s so important to build the Elio with 90 percent North American content. And, that’s why it’s so important to build the vehicle in Shreveport, Louisiana. We will create 1,500 direct jobs in Shreveport and another 1,500 at our supplier partner companies. In addition, these manufacturing jobs will create another 18,000 jobs across the country.

As we continue to drive toward production, this is what gets us going every day. It’s not important to succeed for the people here at Elio Motors, or for our fans. It’s important that we succeed for everyone. This keeps us laser focused. Just like Henry Ford, we want to make a difference. We are getting closer every day.
23e0b01f-8f1b-46ca-b65c-9b12f2c1b348.jpg

Copyright © 2014 Elio Motors, All rights reserved.
You signed up to receive updates from Elio Motors where you filled out a form including your name and email address!

Our mailing address is:
Elio Motors
2942 North 24th Street
Suite
114-700
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Add us to your address book
open.php?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=468622a0d5&e=82ad6a83d3.gif

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And cue the 'NO PROGRESS!' comments! :D

Key point: "We could have cut corners and worked with foreign based suppliers, or even built the vehicle overseas. But, one of our core values is to create American jobs and stimulate our economy."..............point being we could already be driving Chinese built Elios, but that isn't what this is all about. Kudos to you Paul Elio for sticking to your guns.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZpUeyhaPmwPwFAVsMEzc9zI8xBpRkhFlgWKTtiKsKzgEVmeWW.jpg

wjdom

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Key point: "We could have cut corners and worked with foreign based suppliers, or even built the vehicle overseas. But, one of our core values is to create American jobs and stimulate our economy."..............point being we could already be driving Chinese built Elios, but that isn't what this is all about. Kudos to you Paul Elio for sticking to your guns.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZpUeyhaPmwPwFAVsMEzc9zI8xBpRkhFlgWKTtiKsKzgEVmeWW.jpg
AMEN!

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What impressed me is the number of jobs (21,000) that will be created from one mans vision. Mr. Elio, may I call you Paul? I believe in YOU! I believe in your Vision! I believe in the Elio! I believe in a little over a year from now, I will be driving one of the most unique vehicles made in America! Made by the women and men in Shreveport, LA who right now are wondering where the money for the next bag of groceries is going to come from. Hang on Ladies and Gentleman, your world is about to be rocked!

Wow, I just reread this and think I may be possessed! I'm starting to sound like a southern Baptist on the road to salvation! Please no comments on being a southern Baptist, no disrespect intended. I just remember ya'll from my childhood in the south. I'm Lutheran by baptism and we're a quiet lot in church compared to ya'll, except of course during a pot- luck supper! Help your self to Juice and bars, you betcha! Uff Da May!

Last edited:
Top Bottom