• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

9/3/2014 Tech Talk - Fifteen Fun Facts About Elio Motors And Its 84 Mpg, $6,800 Vehicle

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This looks more like a blog post than a tech talk to me...

On an unrelated note - it seems I'm not getting any of these emails.
Is there a separate mailing list to opt-in?
I have been getting these since March so there may be a change or two. What I did is go to the ABOUT tab on EM. At the bottom of the page is a place to sign up for emails. I hope this is still true because it made it all very easy. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been getting these since March so there may be a change or two. What I did is go to the ABOUT tab on EM. At the bottom of the page is a place to sign up for emails. I hope this is still true because it made it all very easy. :) Z
I couldn't figure out the link on this one but here is what it says and then there are boxes to complete to put you on the list:

Hey, this is for the mailing list only, if you want to ask a question or need something else, check out the FAQ.

Face it, once you get the Elio bug (and you probably have it already), you’re going to want to stay connected at every turn. So we’re going to make sure we keep you updated. Sign up today and live the Elio life vicariously until your very own arrives!

As stated above, this is at the bottom of the ABOUT tab on EM website. :) Z

Last edited:

Skrizman

Elio Fan
Reaction score
The original post notes that P4 has traveled 70,000 miles on this tour, and seemed to indicate all on original Cooper tires. I was a bit surprised, assuming that the Elio was trailered between cities. Is it really driven those miles? Do you need drivers??!!
Whatever the answer, it got me to thinking that a lighter car would put less wear on the tires. Any idea how many miles you can get on the three tires?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The original post notes that P4 has traveled 70,000 miles on this tour, and seemed to indicate all on original Cooper tires. I was a bit surprised, assuming that the Elio was trailered between cities. Is it really driven those miles? Do you need drivers??!!
Whatever the answer, it got me to thinking that a lighter car would put less wear on the tires. Any idea how many miles you can get on the three tires?
  • The Elio Motors tour has racked up more than 70,000 highway miles traveling from state to state (on our Cooper all-season tires!). So what’s the most commonly replaced road item? Shoes. The average team member is on their feet up to 60 hours a week…if only Cooper made insoles!

This is just the marketing guys doing their jobs well with some very carefully crafted wording. It says that the 'tour' has racked up more than 70,000 highway miles on Cooper tires not specifically the prototypes. We know the prototypes are trailered and are not really driven all that much. The P4 chassis, suspension, and interior are of high enough build quality that it could be driven more however it is outfitted with a 25 year old Geo Metro drivetrain and steering assembly. This should change with the P5, expected to begin building sometime soon, as it and the coming two dozen preproduction development vehicles will all be outfitted as close to production standards as possible.

The Elio is lightweight however with the weight spread over only three tires, with the front two being skinnier than average tires, its tire wear will likely be about equal to a standard four wheel vehicle with average width tires. As such you will likely end up replacing tires about as often as you do now. This being said the tires which will be replaced more often will likely be the front tires as with good maintenance the single non-driven and non-steering wider rear tire will likely not need to be replaced very often at all.

Last edited:

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is just the marketing guys doing their jobs well with some very carefully crafted wording. It says that the 'tour' has racked up more than 70,000 highway miles on Cooper tires not specifically the prototypes. We know the prototypes are trailered and are not really driven all that much. The P4 chassis, suspension, and interior are of high enough build quality that it could be driven more however it is outfitted with a 25 year old Geo Metro drivetrain and steering assembly. This should change with the P5, expected to begin building sometime soon, as it and the coming two dozen preproduction development vehicles will all be outfitted as close to production standards as possible.

The Elio is lightweight however with the weight spread over only three tires, with the front two being skinnier than average tires, its tire wear will likely be about equal to a standard four wheel vehicle with average width tires. As such you will likely end up replacing tires about as often as you do now. This being said the tires which will be replaced more often will likely be the front tires as with good maintenance the single non-driven and non-steering wider rear tire will likely not need to be replaced very often at all.

Yes, I read that also: Goofyone you mention some carefully crafter wording. I recall in past tour write ups that they are transporting the Elios. That be the facts, then they are refering to the 70,000 miles cooper radials holding up well for their transporter trailer and pull vehicle. That now satisfies me.
Then, I recall just recently reading about the Elio tires are going to be the size of spare donut style tires used on some cars now but there was going to be changes. Since those donut spare tires are used for limited driving mile. They already have a die or mold for them now, except for the Elio will be thicker and more tread (longer driving mileage) so a mock up mold or die would not be a difficult to make and for the large quantily of production tires Cooper tires was going to do that. Then I also read by the 2015 release Cooper tire would be releasing or using there newest low rolling resistance tire compounds for the Elio. Now, I had spent time looking for where I found and read that, but unable to support that in type at this moment so I can only reference. Should someone be able to locate it, please post.
Thank you,
Terrence:) The tire situation in my opinion was looking very good from what I had read.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
...Then, I recall just recently reading about the Elio tires are going to be the size of spare donut style tires used on some cars now but there was going to be changes. Since those donut spare tires are used for limited driving mile. They already have a die or mold for them now, except for the Elio will be thicker and more tread (longer driving mileage) so a mock up mold or die would not be a difficult to make and for the large quantily of production tires Cooper tires was going to do that. Then I also read by the 2015 release Cooper tire would be releasing or using there newest low rolling resistance tire compounds for the Elio. Now, I had spent time looking for where I found and read that, but unable to support that in type at this moment so I can only reference. Should someone be able to locate it, please post.
Thank you,
Terrence:) The tire situation in my opinion was looking very good from what I had read.

That is all in the Tire thread and you will find me right in the middle of that conversation also. :D

For the tire size discussion start with this post and read it through to the end as there are a number of good pieces of information to be found in that thread:

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/tires.1683/page-15#post-39878

The use of Cooper low rolling resistance tires is not speculation at all as it is actually mentioned in this Elio/Cooper press release:

http://www.eliomotors.com/cooper-tire-elio-motors-sign-letter-intent/

Top Bottom