• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Diesel?

KegerChris

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checho, you've obviously not "enjoyed" a new EPA Tier IV diesel. They've been loaded with more emissions crap than a mid 80s gas motor, and reliability has gone to the dogs. No way I'd own one out of warranty, and one covered by warranty wouldn't be my first choice either.

THIS. EPA mandates would require the diesel to have all kinds of crazy electronic stuff plus the DPF, etc. I was working at Cummins in 2008. The most common fixes we had was on the warrantied electronic stuff for keeping everything running clean... Mind you, all this work was being done on 2007 trucks... after only a year, all that crap was going to hell. Best to keep things simple.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You don't need a DPF to meet Tier IV final, Kohler/Lombardi proves this. You need to get fuel atomization up really high, which requires very small injector orifice size and very high pressure, 2000 Bar in the case of Kohler. You can even get away without a DEF/SCR system by using a Lean NOx Trap like the '07-'13 Ram 2500/3500's did. The problem comes from reliability issues. Small injector orifice size means they're more easily clogged, means more fuel filtration, and lower biodiesel blends can be used. Lean NOx Traps are very vulnerable to sulfur contamination, so if you're running biodiesel or get a higher sulfur diesel by chance it damages your LNT, and LNT's are very expensive compared to the SCR systems today as they use a lot of precious metals.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
its been 12+ years since I didn't own/drive at least one diesel powered vehicle and have had 1 diesel powered boat .... for me, diesels can't be beat for pulling/towing/hauling .... in short, I'm not anti diesel .... based on almost a half million miles driving diesel powered trucks, if I had to use it, you couldn't give me one to use as a daily run around vehicle .... while some folks would want one (and that's fine) I really doubt that I'd take a second look at a diesel powered Elio

Jim

seamusfinagin

Reaction score
I could make a new super efficient diesel. I could achieve 65-90% efficiency and beyond. It would be able to run on strait bio-oil from hemp, or algae, (purified French fry oil) . It would be scalable. An Elio version would be very good and get incredible gas mileage. If it were an aircraft engine it would be smaller and lighter than a gasoline engine but with more parts(ie. turbo chargers and intercooler, supercharger etc), however the total weight and size would be similar. Same holds true for automobile engines. It would be extremely easy to work on in a garage. It would have far less parts. When made, it could rival gasoline engine price because of its simplicity, though high quality very advanced materials would be used like ceramics and carbon composite. Not a four stroke but a 2 stroke. Unlike any engine you have seen, but the best of all out there. I could also make the elio 3 wheel drive (AWD) with a hydraulic transmission. All would last a long time.

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could make a new super efficient diesel. I could achieve 65-90% efficiency and beyond. It would be able to run on strait bio-oil from hemp, or algae, (purified French fry oil) . It would be scalable. An Elio version would be very good and get incredible gas mileage. If it were an aircraft engine it would be smaller and lighter than a gasoline engine but with more parts(ie. turbo chargers and intercooler, supercharger etc), however the total weight and size would be similar. Same holds true for automobile engines. It would be extremely easy to work on in a garage. It would have far less parts. When made, it could rival gasoline engine price because of its simplicity, though high quality very advanced materials would be used like ceramics and carbon composite. Not a four stroke but a 2 stroke. Unlike any engine you have seen, but the best of all out there. I could also make the elio 3 wheel drive (AWD) with a hydraulic transmission. All would last a long time.

Ok? Good for you? Could you do that all and keep the low price point? Anyone could make an AWD Elio with regular AT transmission, but not at the current price point.

Two stroke diesels are nothing new, and Renault has been working on a small 750cc two stroke diesel that is both turbocharged and supercharged. But theirs only hits 50% efficiency. If yours can hit 90% efficiency (!!!), then why have you not started production? Or are you still working on the patents? If you can manage to only lose 10% of the combustion to wasted heat, you are correct in saying your design is unlike anything I have ever seen.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like a great invention. Go for it. If you succeed in making an inexpensive reliable super-efficient small diesel, the world will beat a path to your door.

Last edited:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can start here: EcoMotors | opoc engine, fuel efficient 2-stroke, modular powertrain technology

crank-block-loop.gif

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom