• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Diesel?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When did Ford manufacture the first diesel for their F series pickups?... 1925? 1945? 1965? 2000? 2008? Yes, 2008.

Ford was founded in 1903. Diesels first started being used in automobiles on the 30's. It took Ford 78 years after diesels were first used in vehicles before they finally produced their own diesel for their best selling vehicle. 78 years! Maybe Elio won't wait that long.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When did Ford manufacture the first diesel for their F series pickups?... 1925? 1945? 1965? 2000? 2008? Yes, 2008.

Ford was founded in 1903. Diesels first started being used in automobiles on the 30's. It took Ford 78 years after diesels were first used in vehicles before they finally produced their own diesel for their best selling vehicle. 78 years! Maybe Elio won't wait that long.
Henry Fords original model T was designed to run on alcohol. John D Rockefeller the owner of Standard Oil wanted to sell gasoline (a byproduct of his kerosene lamp fuel) so he was a BIG proponent of prohibition and spent a substantial sum to get legislation passed to prohibit the distillation of alcohol and so there was the 38th amendment to the constitution. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't be reliant on foreign oil but instead would be driving on mid western corn squeezings.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Henry Fords original model T was designed to run on alcohol. John D Rockefeller the owner of Standard Oil wanted to sell gasoline (a byproduct of his kerosene lamp fuel) so he was a BIG proponent of prohibition and spent a substantial sum to get legislation passed to prohibit the distillation of alcohol and so there was the 38th amendment to the constitution. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't be reliant on foreign oil but instead would be driving on mid western corn squeezings.

Or reliant on foreign corn (Chinese) instead? That is interesting about the model T being designed for alcohol, I had no idea. Thanks for that tidbit :)

Last edited:

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Which Constitution is that? The US Constitution only has 27 now. The only one repealed 18th repealed by 21st was about prohibition and not fuel for cars, though it could be seen that way by conspiracy audiences.

Perhaps it was just a typo.

The 27th also happens to be the 11th of 12 amendments originally part of the "bill of rIghts." Ten passed almost immediately, but this one recently. Most amendments afterwards included a time limit for passage of seven years.

Last edited:

btg

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I have not read all the posts in this thread but I am very confused about from where 12,000-15,000 miles per year comes. Just driving to work every day for me is 22,500 miles/year. My wife bought a brand new car last year and has over 24,000 miles on it in about 11 months. Some of the posts I have read talk about torque. I would think an engine with high low end torque would be perfect for me driving 80 miles a day on an interstate and another 20 on a road with rarely a reason to stop. If it could cruise at 75mph at idle I could get great fuel economy. One thing to consider about the durability of an engine... My current car has 228,000 miles on it. I am about to start driving my wife's old car with 210,000 miles on it because the air conditioning works. The things that are starting to fail are not the engine. I would love a diesel. But I guess I will be getting a gas.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have not read all the posts in this thread but I am very confused about from where 12,000-15,000 miles per year comes. Just driving to work every day for me is 22,500 miles/year. My wife bought a brand new car last year and has over 24,000 miles on it in about 11 months. Some of the posts I have read talk about torque. I would think an engine with high low end torque would be perfect for me driving 80 miles a day on an interstate and another 20 on a road with rarely a reason to stop. If it could cruise at 75mph at idle I could get great fuel economy. One thing to consider about the durability of an engine... My current car has 228,000 miles on it. I am about to start driving my wife's old car with 210,000 miles on it because the air conditioning works. The things that are starting to fail are not the engine. I would love a diesel. But I guess I will be getting a gas.

Welcome to the forum btg! Goofyone [moderator] at post #17 was using 12k and 15k miles per year as an example to justify the extra cost of a diesel engine. Not sure where it went from there.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
12-15,000 is average mileage per year, of course. I think the Elio engine will be a good one for longevity and that will be especially true for people driving steady on highways. It's going to be pretty high torque for what it is so it should develop its horsepower at a lower RPM than other small engines. I think they said it was being optimized to cruise at 2,100 RPM.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the Elio will be at idle, but it is aiming for 84mpg highway.
The gas engine is the only engine for the Elio now; other power sources will be considered in future generations.

Top Bottom