• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Altc Designs

Do you like this first design?

• Total voters

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you have a log of how much time and money you have spent on your project from beginning to this point?
I'm sure it's in the 100's of hours so far; but this is why projects like this are called "Labor's of Love".
Yes, birthing labor!
Not including peripheral research and discussion groups? On the physical Atlantric, probably about 500+man hours and $5k, in about 3years flow time. At least 60% of that was design and planning. Non-Atlantric activity far out shadows the specific work.

But it's hard to separate the discussion group activity since the input from others has helped guide a lot of the project. And the work is an extension of my own started in 1982 with the 'Taddy' car. I kept that in mind since 1984 until 2002 when I got active again, then started the Atlantric (specific) designing around 2006. Even the time between 1984 and 2002 is important, since that is when I concluded that front-wheel-drive is a 'must-have'.

During that time I identified that quality body work was the primary source of failure for both DIY projects as well as public acceptance of the autocycle as a vehicle. So that's objective #1 for the Atlantric.

It always bugged me strongly, why don't these exist? I want one, why wouldn't other people? Well, they do, but not as your only car. Getting the point of the car into the public mind, that was the stumbling block.

Last edited:

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, birthing labor!
Not including peripheral research and discussion groups? On the physical Atlantric, probably about 500+man hours and $5k, in about 3years flow time. At least 60% of that was design and planning. Non-Atlantric activity far out shadows the specific work.

But it's hard to separate the discussion group activity since the input from others has helped guide a lot of the project. And the work is an extension of my own started in 1982 with the 'Taddy' car. I kept that in mind since 1984 until 2002 when I got active again, then started the Atlantric (specific) designing around 2006. Even the time between 1984 and 2002 is important, since that is when I concluded that front-wheel-drive is a 'must-have'.

During that time I identified that quality body work was the primary source of failure for both DIY projects as well as public acceptance of the autocycle as a vehicle. So that's objective #1 for the Atlantric.

It always bugged me strongly, why don't these exist? I want one, why wouldn't other people? Well, they do, but not as your only car. Getting the point of the car into the public mind, that was the stumbling block.
I'll give you $6800 for it when it's finished..;)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
lol, custom build = custom money, it's ain't your father's (or brother's) Elio! lol.
If it gets 120mpg (as I hope), and each mpg is worth $400 in purchase value, it's only worth $6800 + $14,400 = $21,200 for people in that cost-comparison mindset. It's a given, operational savings is not the reason I'm continuing the project. I want more autocycle inspiration on the roads.

But if I could prove people will pay as much as $20k for it, would that give Elio Motors inspiration for a sporty Elio2?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
lol, custom build = custom money, it's ain't your father's (or brother's) Elio! lol.
If it gets 120mpg (as I hope), and each mpg is worth $400 in purchase value, it's only worth $6800 + $14,400 = $21,200 for people in that cost-comparison mindset. It's a given, operational savings is not the reason I'm continuing the project. I want more autocycle inspiration on the roads.

But if I could prove people will pay as much as $20k for it, would that give Elio Motors inspiration for a sporty Elio2?
The Persu V3's 90,000 + pre-registrations at the suggested $24K price range indicates and PROVES interest in a sporty three wheeler. One would think that would be enough proven interest to justify building the V3 let alone a Sporty Elio 2.0.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't consider Tilters as good examples of the type, they are however a popular concept, if a bit tighter of a niche.
I lke the geo-stablized 2 wheeler better, if they can get it to work admirably. Is a test drive out yet?
But I'm talking style variations in my corner. Anyway, this is academic really, I'm already committed, on that basis of labor-o-love.
Stupid-is as stupid does.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't consider Tilters as good examples of the type, they are however a popular concept, if a bit tighter of a niche.
I lke the geo-stablized 2 wheeler better, if they can get it to work admirably. Is a test drive out yet?
But I'm talking style variations in my corner. Anyway, this is academic really, I'm already committed, on that basis of labor-o-love.
Stupid-is as stupid does.
The gyro-stabilized C-1 prototype hasn't been clocked much over walking/running speeds and can't turn a 90 degree corner. They have some work to do, if it's even possible to control the active gyro lean under various driver reaction time and driving conditions.

The tilting three wheeler's tighter niche market had/has some major reservation interest as indicated on their website.

Top Bottom