• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Announcements Post Suppliers Summit August 2015

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We could forgetabout PC Speak, just don't speak confrontational, be nice/friendly/considerate of others and their points of view irregardless of their source. I would have to check and double check the source and source's source irregardless.
And use real words rather than made up words like fiscalfinancial or irregardless ... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ekh

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And use real words rather than made up words like fiscalfinancial or irregardless ... :rolleyes:
Irregardless of what you say as the word police, I like it and irregardless is a word according to Merriam-Webster. I will continue to use it with no apologies for being old and unconventional. lol
image.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Irregardless of what you say as the word police, I like it and irregardless is a word according to Merriam-Webster. I will continue to use it with no apologies for being old and unconventional. lol
View attachment 6534
LOL... When asked, Webster's said "Our purpose is not to correct the English language, merely to report how it is being used." People have now gotten to where they can't be bothered with learning the difference between bring and take either. Irregardless always was odd to me.

Regardless means (roughly) "despite the fact" so irregardless must mean "because of the fact" Think about it.

It would be like going around saying "Organically grown corn is unnatural. That's why it is good for you." (meaning "natural" but who cares if you add a negative to the word.

I was raised with my Dad correcting my grammar all the time so I tend to notice when it is used incorrectly. Axe a question, * is "ass-trix" (asterisk is correct)... To me, it all sounds a little uneducated but that's probably just because I'm an old grouch. I mean, I don't use "gay" to mean "happy" why should I bitch about the misuse of words?

Disregardless
Unregardless
Irregardless
nonregardless

I suppose it's all the same. I like Dis-un-ir-regardless the best. Makes about as much sense.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah... it's a disease. I've passed it on to my kids. When will it ever stop? :sick:
I know what you mean. My Mother always fussed about "at". I've noticed, even today professional brodcasters use "at" when it is not needed. Like "where the fire is at?", or "where are you at?''. Why not just say "where is the fire?" or "where are you?" Since it is used wrong mainly in a question, her answer would always be "between the A and the T". Gotta love Momma, and leave "at" of the end of sentences that don't need it.:p

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know what you mean. My Mother always fussed about "at". I've noticed, even today professional brodcasters use "at" when it is not needed. Like "where the fire is at?", or "where are you at?''. Why not just say "where is the fire?" or "where are you?" Since it is used wrong mainly in a question, her answer would always be "between the A and the T". Gotta love Momma, and leave "at" of the end of sentences that don't need it.:p
I'm married to a woman who has an obsession about correcting everyone's speech. Even after nearly 30 years she hasn't given up on trying to correct my grammar. Hell, when I lived in Italy and would come home from work she had marked redline corrections to all the letters from our friends

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 6534
I don't are what Meriam Webster says (other dictionaries discuss the commonality, but not the acceptability of this coinage). Which edition did you use?

"Irregardless" is a tautology; it is circular. The prefix "ir" means "without". The suffix "less" means "lacking" or "without." So if you are without regard, you are regardless. "Ir" is thus redundant, awkward, and offensive to a well-tuned ear. There's no point in duplicating the negative; that creates a double negative, which is a positive. So "irregardless" is nonsense. Sorry if you don't like it, and you're free to use it however and whenever you wish, but it's one of those "marker" words that labels the user in some less than positive ways. That's not my imagination; it's sociology.

And where do I come off spouting this stuff? An earned doctorate in English should suffice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom