• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Another Bold Attempt At The $6000 Car...

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Safety?!? Is there anything you guys DON'T expect from a cheap vehicle that gets supe-high mpg? Be a little real, you're gonna have to give up something somewhere. I think the Elio is trying to strike a better balance than most other options. But let's face it, if I wanted to drive something that gets 75 mpg and costs under $7k today, I would be driving a motorcycle with a tiny little engine. What was the crash test rating on a motorcycle again? Somewhere between organ-doner and Dead-man-rolling as I recall. Why is it that on two wheels we are the Bold knights of the open road who defy all convention, sneer at the mediocre masses, and boldly look into the cold eyes of fate and challenge him to a duel...... But put some windows around us and suddenly we're comparing crash-test ratings and counting airbags? What gives?
Not cheap!! Inexpensive

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Safety?!? Is there anything you guys DON'T expect from a cheap vehicle that gets supe-high mpg? Be a little real, you're gonna have to give up something somewhere. I think the Elio is trying to strike a better balance than most other options. But let's face it, if I wanted to drive something that gets 75 mpg and costs under $7k today, I would be driving a motorcycle with a tiny little engine. What was the crash test rating on a motorcycle again? Somewhere between organ-doner and Dead-man-rolling as I recall. Why is it that on two wheels we are the Bold knights of the open road who defy all convention, sneer at the mediocre masses, and boldly look into the cold eyes of fate and challenge him to a duel...... But put some windows around us and suddenly we're comparing crash-test ratings and counting airbags? What gives?
Researched the Tata Nano... spontaneous combustion followed by an explosion... eep!

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never owned a doner cycle, never will! I haven't even been on one in 34 years. I will not keep my Elio, if it does not get a passing score on crash test rating. However with the roll cage, airbags, crumple zones.....ect, I doubt that will happen! I'm old enough to know, safety first but still young enough to want to have a little fun!:D

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's possible that compressed air could be a better option than batteries as a means of storing energy from the power grid to use for automotive power. With a little more development pneumatic motors could be very efficient, there is virtually no weight to the fuel, no carbon emissions, no rare minerals as with batteries, you get out 100% of the energy you put in, no fire danger, and you'd be carrying enough compressed air that you wouldn't have to pay at the gas station to air up your tires. On the down-side, big tanks of compressed air are bulky and would have to be at pretty high pressures to get any range out of such a vehicle. Oh, and air conditioning would be no problem, that air coming out would be FRIGID.

They have had a compressed air car for a long time now in France.. it uses a rotatory motor and can be filled at any gas station air station...

I believe it was tested in India for a short time as cabs, I think it only goes 60 miles on a fill up but it is air... but it would not pass US safety standards for vehicles...

Just like the VW XL1 which gets over 265 mpg with gas and over 300 mpg with diesel fuel.. it is not coming to the US... works to good... US would lose millions in gas taxes for roads, if the VW XL1 could be sold in the US... ($60,000... if VW makes them) I'm going with my Elio...

I did read that they are trying to make a compressed air/gas hybrid car that will pass US safety standards...

It still runs on compressed air... it just has it's own gas air compressor on board... so when the air tanks get low...a gas motor starts up...but it is still a few years away...

Just wait a few years and Elio Motors could have one made up as a option.. They are going to have a... All Electric Elio, Propane Elio, Hybrid Elio...and maybe even a compressed air Elio ?... Just keep you eyes open, Elio Motors is coming down the line with all kinds of stuff...

Just have to wait it out...

Proud to Be an Elio owner # MMCCXXV see ya on the road...

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never owned a doner cycle, never will! I haven't even been on one in 34 years. I will not keep my Elio, if it does not get a passing score on crash test rating. However with the roll cage, airbags, crumple zones.....ect, I doubt that will happen! I'm old enough to know, safety first but still young enough to want to have a little fun!:D
I get where you're coming from, but my thought process was this; While everyone is dis'in on the little Indian car 'cause it's a death-trap, the only option we HAVE that meets it's specs for price and mpg is on two wheels. Is it a safety nightmare? Sure! Is it safer than a motorcycle? Probably. At least a little. So when it comes to cheap, high mpg transportation, it is the TOP safety pick if only by virtue of the fact that the alternative is worse.
Sure, you can buy a five-star minivan with 43 airbags and space age crumple zones if you don't care about price or mpg. You can even get something with reasonable mpg if you can fork over enough cash for a hybrid plug-in, whatever, and it's probably got some kind of safety rating. But if you want cheap AND high mpg, then you are destined to be shopping the death-trap lot, trying to score a deal on the latest in mobile casketry, now with coffin-liner interior so you can go right to the cemetary on a flat-bed and be burried car and all, (not legal in all fifty states). Think of the money you'll save on burial expenses alone. These babys Pay for themselves again and again.....

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from, but my thought process was this; While everyone is dis'in on the little Indian car 'cause it's a death-trap, the only option we HAVE that meets it's specs for price and mpg is on two wheels. Is it a safety nightmare? Sure! Is it safer than a motorcycle? Probably. At least a little. So when it comes to cheap, high mpg transportation, it is the TOP safety pick if only by virtue of the fact that the alternative is worse.
Sure, you can buy a five-star minivan with 43 airbags and space age crumple zones if you don't care about price or mpg. You can even get something with reasonable mpg if you can fork over enough cash for a hybrid plug-in, whatever, and it's probably got some kind of safety rating. But if you want cheap AND high mpg, then you are destined to be shopping the death-trap lot, trying to score a deal on the latest in mobile casketry, now with coffin-liner interior so you can go right to the cemetary on a flat-bed and be burried car and all, (not legal in all fifty states). Think of the money you'll save on burial expenses alone. These babys Pay for themselves again and again.....
Inexpensive

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2009 Tata Nano 0 to 60 mph = 29.4
2014 Tata Nano Twist XT 0 to 60 mph = A blazing 27.0

Any guesses as to what that would be on level ground with more than one occupant?

For comparison, a 2013 Morgan three-wheeler does 0 - 60 mph in 5.8
My 250 Virago, producing @ 18Hp and getting 81mpg, does 0 - 60 mph in 9.38

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Rare-Car-0-60-mph-Times.html
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/reviews/how-to-get-started-picking-the-right-250cc-motorcycle-yamaha-v-star-250#slide-6

Honestly, does this leave any room for doubt in your mind about wanting a Nano?

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I get what you are saying, and agree with you! For me, It is about "perspective." Compared to a motorcycle, an enclosed vehicle that still gets great mileage is an advantage. The fact that the Elio is also engineered for "5 stars" ( better that my Geo Metro) is another added bonus. Heat and A/C...plus 2 more. More seating/cargo than the Corbin Sparrow...more value. That Paul seems determined to keep the price low and the quality high, adds long term value. I think it is a tremendous value for the price. :cool:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'm sitting here LMAO!! this is soooo right on, beautiful insights, and great humor!!!

Top Bottom