• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Another Bold Attempt At The $6000 Car...

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get what you are saying, and agree with you! For me, It is about "perspective." Compared to a motorcycle, an enclosed vehicle that still gets great mileage is an advantage. The fact that the Elio is also engineered for "5 stars" ( better that my Geo Metro) is another added bonus. Heat and A/C...plus 2 more. More seating/cargo than the Corbin Sparrow...more value. That Paul seems determined to keep the price low and the quality high, adds long term value. I think it is a tremendous value for the price. :cool:

from what I've learned, read the fine print-the 5 star rating is not the automotive standard, Don't fully remember - hoping goofy will catch up to this and set me straight. He's commented on this before when I questioned Federal/Private testing, when along in production they test etc. Most of the regs were for cars and not motorcycles

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2009 Tata Nano 0 to 60 mph = 29.4
2014 Tata Nano Twist XT 0 to 60 mph = A blazing 27.0

Any guesses as to what that would be on level ground with more than one occupant?

For comparison, a 2013 Morgan three-wheeler does 0 - 60 mph in 5.8
My 250 Virago, producing @ 18Hp and getting 81mpg, does 0 - 60 mph in 9.38

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Rare-Car-0-60-mph-Times.html
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/reviews/how-to-get-started-picking-the-right-250cc-motorcycle-yamaha-v-star-250#slide-6

Honestly, does this leave any room for doubt in your mind about wanting a Nano?

My Citroen (SP?) 2CV was in third gear before I reached the other side of the intersection!!

Reactions: HHH

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
from what I've learned, read the fine print-the 5 star rating is not the automotive standard, Don't fully remember - hoping goofy will catch up to this and set me straight. He's commented on this before when I questioned Federal/Private testing, when along in production they test etc. Most of the regs were for cars and not motorcycles
The testing to be done will be done by the same people using the same tests as they do for cars. This is a marketing tool, not a requirement. It is to Elio's advantage to meet those requirements even though, as a motorcycle, it is not required to do so. Why do it? Because it will sell more Elios than if they don't because one of the first concerns of big car buyers is "how safe is it?" That 5 star safety rating will absoutely be to automotive standards. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth the cost to do it. :-) Z

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

ALL of the crash test ratings are for cars. That is why EM is lobbying to get the laws changed to allow testing on the Elio. That is why I said "engineered for"...not "tested at 5 stars". As has been pointed out , the "actual testing" (on any vehicle) is not done until the vehicle is "in production", then randomly chosen units are pulled from production, and tested. This assures that every vehicle is being built to the same standards.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ALL of the crash test ratings are for cars. That is why EM is lobbying to get the laws changed to allow testing on the Elio. That is why I said "engineered for"...not "tested at 5 stars". As has been pointed out , the "actual testing" (on any vehicle) is not done until the vehicle is "in production", then randomly chosen units are pulled from production, and tested. This assures that every vehicle is being built to the same standards.

the random federal testing is done from selecting the cars from showrooms (which we ain't got) not from the line. The (Private) Insurance Co testing (in VA), is done to help insurers rate cars to determine premiums

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the random federal testing is done from selecting the cars from showrooms (which we ain't got) not from the line. The (Private) Insurance Co testing (in VA), is done to help insurers rate cars to determine premiums

just did a search-"Safercar.com" (NHTSA)
"yes other organizations crash rate vehicles but NHTSA is the only organization that rates rollover resistance in addition to frontal and side crash worthiness"
What too is amazing is how many cars are not tested, but some with major warnings- see the list- amazingly some very popular cars are very poorly rated- Chevy Impala, Chrysler 200, Buicks and most amazing to me Toyota Camry!!
cars are divided by curb weight-the lightest is "MINI 1500-1900 lbs (we're not even there)
also check out the list of cars that had less than 5 stars,
and the best for last -go to u tube -safercar,gov crash test videos!!!, (some really scary stuff)- check out the side pole crashes!!! what amazes me is how few visitors go to the site
I have trouble even with the roll cage , visualizing the pole and side impact test- some of the videos the pole ends up in the middle of the driver;s seat, and the side test looks to be a full size car front end t boning cars, some in there the bumper winds up well inside the cockpit.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2009 Tata Nano 0 to 60 mph = 29.4
2014 Tata Nano Twist XT 0 to 60 mph = A blazing 27.0

Any guesses as to what that would be on level ground with more than one occupant?

For comparison, a 2013 Morgan three-wheeler does 0 - 60 mph in 5.8
My 250 Virago, producing @ 18Hp and getting 81mpg, does 0 - 60 mph in 9.38

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Rare-Car-0-60-mph-Times.html
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/motorcycles/reviews/how-to-get-started-picking-the-right-250cc-motorcycle-yamaha-v-star-250#slide-6

Honestly, does this leave any room for doubt in your mind about wanting a Nano?

Amazed,
Got to tell you man, every time I read one of your posts/replies I end up re-reading the passage you have about the 25 EM employees. It always reaffirms the faith I have in this project.
Thanks,
Dusty

Top Bottom