• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

At What Point

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Elio Motors has spent years in a very effective marketing campaign that features 84 MPG, 5 Star crash rating, and $6,800 price tag .... all of those are very high standards .... to date, no info has been released that any of those features have been met or exceeded .... my hope is they will in fact meet/exceed their projections .... at what point would it bother you if they fall short on any or all of those points

for me, I could live with something less in mileage --- I'd consider anything around or above 75 mpg to be a major success

having a phobia about surviving a wreck in a small vehicle, less than a 5 Star crash rating would be a definite concern

a $7,500 price tag would still seem to be remarkable at today's cost of living

Jim

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The closer the better but I could understand some deviation. I have it in my head 80mpg and 73-7500$ as far as the safety rating I merely think of it as a bonus. I know ultimately anyone could die in the highest safety rated car. Its how you drive and how aware you are of your surroundings that makes a difference. I hope that the Elio is safe vehicle but nothing will save you if you or someone else is an idiot.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
with the no refund all-in money, they have taken in millions

Jim

You are correct as the reservations have likely brought in somewhere around $15 million so far however that is nowhere near close to what EM has spent on this project. From what we know this project has cost somewhere around $50 million so far including at least $5 million of Paul Elio's own money.

It does cost a good bit of money to design an entirely new vehicle from the ground up, pay 20-25 employees, and pay for marketing including the tour which is not inexpensive.

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can see a model year price increase for 2016 providing he produces any in 2015. That way he can say he met his initial goal. He never stated how long the price would remain $6,800. Safety would concern me with anything below 5 star but since I had a motorcycle I'm use to that safety risk. Just look out for AH's as best you can.

I also thing we're all ready to see some real progress other than PR and the tour. How about an engine, more prototypes, or an investment in Shreveport.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: I'd consider anything around or above 75 mpg to be a major success

Technology & Computer modeling has gotten exponentially more sophisticated in the
last 5-10 yrs.
Just look @ smart watches & Google glass, etc. Elio is already @ 81-82 mpg in the P4
with old tech. The IAV Motor is spec'd @ 84 can't help but think they'll get real close.
As for the '5 Star' the fall testing will prove the modeling, though there will inevitably
be some unforeseen bug-a-boos to be dealt with. That's why they test. Like: measure
twice, cut once.................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcxpQmdLipOUTP73l9hj_2slvMHg6waEqng13YhToHYUBlB_0p.jpg

Last edited:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tech. @ Computer modeling has gotten exponentially more sophisticated in the last 5-10 yrs.
Just look @ smart watches & Google glass, etc. Elio is already @ 81-82 mpg in the P4
with old tech. The IAV Motor is spec'ed @ 84 can't help but think they'll get real close.
As for the '5 Star' the fall testing will prove the modeling, thought there will inevitably
be some unforeseen bug-a-boos to be dealt with. That's why they test. Like measure
twice, cut once.................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcxpQmdLipOUTP73l9hj_2slvMHg6waEqng13YhToHYUBlB_0p.jpg
EM rep in Columbus said there is a plus minus of 2 gal. in the calculations and it could get as high as 86mpg.

Top Bottom