• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Boat Towing

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure that some folks will want to tow a small boat/jetski .... a few years back we owned a light weight 10' Lowe aluminum boat (picture 1) .... it was bought to use fishing in South Dakota where we spend our summers .... instead of towing it in a campground and launching it with our Freightliner Sportchassis, we used a GEM (street legal) car (picture 2) .... it came in handy for moving picnic tables and other such things .... the 72 Volt, front wheel drive GEM car pulled and launched the boat with ease .... unfortunately, getting the boat out of the water proved to be an exercise in futility .... with the GEM sitting at a nose up angle on a wet, sandy, concrete boat ramp, the front end didn't have sufficient weight to keep the drive tires from spinning .... I have no clue if a front wheel drive Elio will have the same issue .... time will tell

Jim

View attachment 3550

View attachment 3551

Any front wheel drive should have the same issue. Had a dodge minivan, front wheel drive v6. Attached a hitch receiver to the front of the van so I could pull the boat out of the water . Something about the weight shifting to the rear of the vehicle while on an incline, you lost weight and all traction on the front wheels.

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe Elio had considered a light duty tow hitch but decided to table the idea. It won't take long for someone to fabricate one whether or not it would void the warranty (two people travelling will need luggage space) I wouldn't try to tow any more than 4-500 lbs behind the Elio with a small trailer. I have to admit when I first heard of the idea I was thinking of a hitch on the rear of the Elio so you could tow it backwards behind a motorhome or camper.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Elio had considered a light duty tow hitch but decided to table the idea. It won't take long for someone to fabricate one whether or not it would void the warranty (two people travelling will need luggage space) I wouldn't try to tow any more than 4-500 lbs behind the Elio with a small trailer. I have to admit when I first heard of the idea I was thinking of a hitch on the rear of the Elio so you could tow it backwards behind a motorhome or camper.

Elio Motors has not detailed what the exactly they are doing however they have told us that the vehicle is being engineered to be towed as they see the motorhome market as an important segment for sales and indeed this type of vehicle would be ideal for that use.

It does appear that a hitch will indeed only be available from unofficial aftermarket sources with the risk of voiding the warranty however this is the way towing works for most motorcycles and many small cars yet hitches are widely available for these vehicles and I see no reason why the Elio would be any different.

The general rule for towing with a motorcycle, which is likely the guidelines that are closest to the Elio reverse trike configuration, is that for safety you are best off to keep towing weight below 35%-50% of the unladen motorcycle weight depending on passenger weight. Considering the Elio has a lower power to weight ratio than most motorcycles I would say these number likely need to be adjusted down to about 20%-40% depending on the weight of the passengers and gear inside the vehicle. The production Elio's estimated weight is 1250 lbs so this would give us about 250-450 lbs of towing weight including the trailer. Consider the stock complete harbor freight trailer weighs in at 150 lbs and modifications will not add much weight this still gives owners about 100 lbs for gear even when hauling two full sized adults which should be plenty.

Nate_tx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Elio is pretty light. I would not try to push it. Or well this could happen - ooops

Attachments

• 575831_3664505780852_480921436_n.jpg
    575831_3664505780852_480921436_n.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 415

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
photo_070809_005_thumb.jpg

not sure why we could not use the Elio.

When the momentum of the trailer overcomes the weight/cohesion on the rear tire(s), you can get jack-knifing. Slowing on a turn going down hill (on gravel) is the 2nd worst situation, typical for an off-ramp-exit into rural areas.. Emergency braking at that spot being number 1.

The SmartCar has at least 55% weight at the rear, for 1600lbs, or 880lbs at the rear . The Elio has around 30% at 1200lbs or 400lbs at the rear. So the Elio can only safely tow about 45% of what a SmartCar can. So look up the recommended max tow weight for the Smart and you'll know.

Everything changes based on the weight of the passengers, generally allowing more tow-weight.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When the momentum of the trailer overcomes the weight/cohesion on the rear tire(s), you can get jack-knifing. Slowing on a turn going down hill (on gravel) is the 2nd worst situation, typical for an off-ramp-exit into rural areas.. Emergency braking at that spot being number 1.

The SmartCar has at least 55% weight at the rear, for 1600lbs, or 880lbs at the rear . The Elio has around 30% at 1200lbs or 400lbs at the rear. So the Elio can only safely tow about 45% of what a SmartCar can. So look up the recommended max tow weight for the Smart and you'll know.

Everything changes based on the weight of the passengers, generally allowing more tow-weight.
I found 1100 in a forum for the smart, so if that holds true 500 is maybe a good absolute max. I'd stay under 350 for reliable freeway travel, esp without a passenger.

Top Bottom