• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Borrow $240 Mil, Or Borrow Alot Less And Start Out Slow?

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, they are collecting money, running a roadshow, and working on legislation. They are not moving towards production. They have been 15-18 months away from production since they started taking reservations in January 2013. Before that, they were 15-18 months from production "once funding was obtained".

The football analogy breaks down because there is no rival team.

On the other hand, Elio's score is fairly clear: $65M raised and spent.
$20M owed on equipment.
$25M potential liability for reservations.
0 pre-production prototypes. 0 fully tested engines. 0 engines that have been seen by outside observers.
Legislation - laws changed in several states.
Plant - under lease. Past due on hiring deadline. Hiring deadline extended. Equipment sale $50K sold vs $70M+ claimed value.
Private securities offerings - no evidence that any money has been raised above the filing fees.
ATVM loan - 1st step done (ie they filled out the application) Nothing since. Time frame - 1-4 years. They will lose access to the plant before a positive determine could be announced.

The score is known. It's just not being accepted. The idea was good. The window of opportunity was there. They blew it.
I do not agree. Elio Motors is developing the way it is, not the way you or I want it to. You have listed out the things which are happening and not happening, nothing more nothing less.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only ball that's moving is the marketing ball. The production ball is not in play and has not been in play for well over a year. No movement with prototype builds, no movement at the factory, no recent followup info on the engine development since the engine start video. I'm unsure if there was a design freeze or still working on details. The production ball is deflating it's been out of play for so long and the countdown clock to determine the end game is ticking.
Rick I have to disagree. I get you're articulating what you're wanting to see to indicate progress, and an experienced reasoned prognosis, and I know you know this, but that is you. I would agree they have built four (arguably 3 and some skin) prototypes, they have leased a factory that has significant penalties attached if they don't hire, they have with their partner IAV built an engine and done testing on it and not provided much if any data on the engine - ascribing meaning to to any of those things until something happens, is a story. That any of us think EM should be moving faster, or in a different direction is not reality, its a story. That they have not mass produced their vehicle is reality. That they won't produce their vehicle, is not reality, it is conjecture.

Spyche Chaos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Man, I just wish Paul would show up to one of these gigs with a humble cup of hotel lobby coffee, just once

That Starbucks stuff is for rich folks.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rick I have to disagree. I get you're articulating what you're wanting to see to indicate progress, and an experienced reasoned prognosis, and I know you know this, but that is you. I would agree they have built four (arguably 3 and some skin) prototypes, they have leased a factory that has significant penalties attached if they don't hire, they have with their partner IAV built an engine and done testing on it and not provided much if any data on the engine - ascribing meaning to to any of those things until something happens, is a story. That any of us think EM should be moving faster, or in a different direction is not reality, its a story. That they have not mass produced their vehicle is reality. That they won't produce their vehicle, is not reality, it is conjecture.
EM has made surprisingly steady progress over my wathcful eye since 2008. The stalled production progress over the past year and a half is what I know based on EM news. I don't care how fast EM moves or what direction they take as long as they start moving and shaking. The reality is they are currently working on borrowed time and if they don't meet the timeline for hiring and getting the factory up to speed they may lose it. I did cartwheels when I discovered EM had a manufacturing facility locked in and then dropped mid air when hearing news of the $240 Million shortfall. Not much happening at the moment and the story will soon have what I hope is a happy ending for one and for all.

Spyche Chaos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
EM has made surprisingly steady progress over my wathcful eye since 2008. The stalled production progress over the past year and a half is what I know based on EM news. I don't care how fast EM moves or what direction they take as long as they start moving and shaking. The reality is they are currently working on borrowed time and if they don't meet the timeline for hiring and getting the factory up to speed they may lose it. I did cartwheels when I discovered EM had a manufacturing facility locked in and then dropped mid air when hearing news of the $240 Million shortfall. Not much happening at the moment and the story will soon have what I hope is a happy ending for one and for all.

Would it really end once and for all, though? It didn't end when things went south (literally) in Pontiac, Michigan. People pretend that this whole thing began in 2013, even though they know better, but it ain't so.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would it really end once and for all, though? It didn't end when things went south (literally) in Pontiac, Michigan. People pretend that this whole thing began in 2013, even though they know better, but it ain't so.
EM has made major progress since Pontiac. It did begin in 2013 for a majority of the reservationists. I doubt they tracked the company history back to the Hello Elio campaign in '08.

I am a realist and will remain optimistic that there can be a surprise happy ending with Elios blotting the continent, although a little light in the upper Midwest and Central Plains regions of our USA. It will end once and for all for me if there aren't prototype builds being tested and scheduled for the ride and drive events by late summer. After 7 years of following EM I'm growing weary and will move on.

Spyche Chaos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
EM has made major progress since Pontiac. It did begin in 2013 for a majority of the reservationists. I doubt they tracked the company history back to the Hello Elio campaign in '08.

I am a realist and will remain optimistic that there can be a surprise happy ending with Elios blotting the continent, although a little light in the upper Midwest and Central Plains regions of our USA. It will end once and for all for me if there aren't prototype builds being tested and scheduled for the ride and drive events by late summer. After 7 years of following EM I'm growing weary and will move on.

Oh, I hear you. My reply was not to suggest that you shouldn't feel wary, doubtful, or disappointed. I was suggesting that even the total failure of the Shreveport plan wouldn't keep some within Elio Motors from insisting the project was still viable, if only some sage would realize Paul's potential and hand over a couple of hundred million bucks.

Top Bottom