• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Borrow $240 Mil, Or Borrow Alot Less And Start Out Slow?

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
None of us really know what we are talking about, it's all pure conjecture at this point and fun to discuss. I pictured the engine being built in Germany and shipped as a complete unit for installation. The other components are mostly off the shelf items that vendors are already making for other auto manufacturers. One of the possible reasons EM hasn't built additional prototypes is that they haven't finalized the final product. This may be due to specific parts sourcing and the fact that EM has not crashed tested one to see for sure that the design will have a high crash rating. Respectfully, Just my 2 cents.
You, too, seriously underestimate the intelligence, capabilities, and experience of the people you talk to. Admitting that you don't know what you are talking about is humility. Accusing everyone else of the same is arrogance.

While we may not have access to all the details and minutiae of this project, there has been enough time and enough information to draw up a limited set of reasonable conclusions. Obviously, they haven't finalized the final product. There is a great dealt of room for doubt as to whether they have even fully designed the final product. They claimed in early 2013 that all of the R & D was complete, but that clearly was not the case.

The 500 pound gorilla in the room is the funding issue, but the room is still full of other full-grown gorillas after that one is taken down.

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio has reported that the equipment cost $26-30M. IIRC, the entire amount was financed, and payments were to begin last fall. $300k/mo or $300k/quarter comes to mind for some reason, but my memory may be off on the amount of the payments. At one point, Elio was projecting $70M from the sale of the surplus equipment, which would pay off the lien and net about $40M. I haven't seen any reports on the progress of the ebay sale since the first few weeks. At that point, total sales were under $20k, perhaps way under. I haven't seen any reports as to what Comau many have sold outside of ebay.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone keep trying to look at sources of funding as either / or.
PE explained it would be foolish to rely on only one source.
So here it is. In his words

From about 7:30 to about 9:00
ATVM
Crowd Funding
506C
Democratizing Equity Investment
Selling off old equipment.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio has reported that the equipment cost $26-30M. IIRC, the entire amount was financed, and payments were to begin last fall. $300k/mo or $300k/quarter comes to mind for some reason, but my memory may be off on the amount of the payments. At one point, Elio was projecting $70M from the sale of the surplus equipment, which would pay off the lien and net about $40M. I haven't seen any reports on the progress of the ebay sale since the first few weeks. At that point, total sales were under $20k, perhaps way under. I haven't seen any reports as to what Comau many have sold outside of ebay.

Taken from Caddo Parrish Meeting Minutes:
August 2, 2013
image.jpg

May 20th, 2014
image.jpg

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You, too, seriously underestimate the intelligence, capabilities, and experience of the people you talk to. Admitting that you don't know what you are talking about is humility. Accusing everyone else of the same is arrogance.

While we may not have access to all the details and minutiae of this project, there has been enough time and enough information to draw up a limited set of reasonable conclusions. Obviously, they haven't finalized the final product. There is a great dealt of room for doubt as to whether they have even fully designed the final product. They claimed in early 2013 that all of the R & D was complete, but that clearly was not the case.

The 500 pound gorilla in the room is the funding issue, but the room is still full of other full-grown gorillas after that one is taken down.

............"While we may not have access to all the details and minutiae of this project, there has been enough time and enough information to draw up a limited set of reasonable conclusions."..............

Unfortunately, those are called assumptions. And we know what "assume" does to us.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone keep trying to look at sources of funding as either / or.
PE explained it would be foolish to rely on only one source.
So here it is. In his words

From about 7:30 to about 9:00
ATVM
Crowd Funding
506C
Democratizing Equity Investment
Selling off old equipment.
'Either/or' will end up as 'one or the other' or maybe 'all or none'. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Top Bottom