• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bulge

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is only one reason I can think of for putting the exhaust out the back instead of the front. Someone could say wind currents carried the exhaust fumes into open windows. It can 't happen if the exhaust is at the back.

I am not worried about that and would gladly get rid of the bulge and exit the exhaust up front.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to clarify, this is the FINAL prototype according to Paul Elio. The next models will be engineering test beds. I would not expect any major design changes at this point. Unless they find that upon impact the exhaust folds into the cabin and rips off the crash test dummy's legs, I would bet the bulge is there for good.

I agree! But that doesn't mean "subtle" changes won't be made. And changing from a "side panel with a cover added", to a "side panel with a bulge molded in" is a subtle change. Leaving the bottom open for heat dissipation makes sense. And making it in one piece makes good sense from a manufacturing point of view. The "add on bulge" will require: 1) extra man-hours 2)extra molds 3) an extra station on the assembly line. :)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is only one reason I can think of for putting the exhaust out the back instead of the front. Someone could say wind currents carried the exhaust fumes into open windows. It can 't happen if the exhaust is at the back.

I am not worried about that and would gladly get rid of the bulge and exit the exhaust up front.
It would be pretty cool to have three separate pipes that pop out the side. Expensive header upgrade though, especially having to have 3 dinky resonators and perhaps mufflers..

doug stanley

Elio Fan
Reaction score
It would be pretty cool to have three separate pipes that pop out the side. Expensive header upgrade though, especially having to have 3 dinky resonators and perhaps mufflers..
this is great input everyone is posting , very helpful , but there is another question that arises for me. when you look at the exhaust pipe cut angle its clear that the pipe runs down the bottom outside of the p-5. what could possibally be the purpose of all the extra add-on above the length of the pipe. doesn't make sense.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
From the LA Auto Show:

I really like the side exhaust buldge and that is the current plan for how they will do it in the final vehicle.

Having said that they did try it out the back and funny enough the P5 currently has both exhausts installed with the rear exhaust being the functional exhaust. The side exhaust muffler arrived one day after the vehicle left for L.A. Pics to come later on.

Edit: The reasons for choosing the side exhaust over the rear was apparently due to the issues involved in routing through the frame and the heat the exhaust generates with the results being an increase in cost.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
From the LA Auto Show:

I really like the side exhaust buldge and that is the current plan for how they will do it in the final vehicle.

Having said that they did try it out the back and funny enough the P5 currently has both exhausts installed with the rear exhaust being the functional exhaust. The side exhaust muffler arrived one day after the vehicle left for L.A. Pics to come later on.

Edit: The reasons for choosing the side exhaust over the rear was apparently due to the issues involved in routing through the frame and the heat the exhaust generates with the results being an increase in cost.
If you're at the show still; ask what possible roll out schedule is please. That seems to be a top question.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
this is great input everyone is posting , very helpful , but there is another question that arises for me. when you look at the exhaust pipe cut angle its clear that the pipe runs down the bottom outside of the p-5. what could possibally be the purpose of all the extra add-on above the length of the pipe. doesn't make sense.
My guess, extra space above the pipe gives a chance for hot spots to distribute wider, therefore lowering the peak at those spots. The area is above because heat rises, therefore that is where it's most critical. It may also have to accommodate other things in there (resonator, muffler,cat converter, etc), so a straight tunnel looks better than a lumpy one.

Top Bottom