• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Crowdfunding

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mine:
elio.png

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I find this interesting as well. Paul seems to accidentally suggest the P5 will be done by the end of the month. Maybe I am reading between the lins wrong:

View attachment 6054

So I would extrapolate from Paul's answer for how complete the P5 will be... at least in terms of the base model... and then whatever options EM decides to put on... that it would be what, 90-95% complete?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
This is cool:
[–]JLBShecky [score hidden] 33 minutes ago (1 child)

If one's Elio was to break down for what ever reason and needing towing how would that work? Would a normal tow truck work or wold it need something like a roll-back tow truck?
[–]PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 12 minutes ago (0 children)

I don't know but I will find out.

The Elio will have a hole in its rear frame to accomdoate a pole with two small tires attached. So the Elio can go on traditional car lifts and car carriers. But I have not yet looked into the towing aspect.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find this interesting as well. Paul seems to accidentally suggest the P5 will be done by the end of the month. Maybe I am reading between the lins wrong:

View attachment 6054

Kicking off P6-30 in late July? Hmm, that's like in 3-4 weeks. I find that hard to believe, but I'm hopeful!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
[–]LollyAdverb [score hidden] 36 minutes ago (2 children)

How would an Elio, being so light-weight, handle crosswinds? I was on a bridge the other day in a mid-sized SUV during a storm ... and it was like a fun-house ride.

[–]PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 4 minutes ago (0 children)

The Elio weighs approximately the same as a VW Bug. The Bug suffered from the problem that the center mass was over the rear wheels, and the center pressure was at the windshield, and the distance between these two forces produced a couple that made it squirrly in high winds.

The Elio is front engine so the center pressure and center mass are nearly coincident which will greatly reduce this effect.

But if you want an Elio fun-house ride...wait for the Turbo!

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Later he does say that they will start building the P6 - P30 before the P5 is complete

Yes, hard to wrap my brain around it, but he must be implying that for the P5, at some certain state of done-ness, they will gather up modifications needed for the P6+. Once they have their arms around those changes, they can start on P6+ while wrapping up P5.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
This really made me smile:

[–]superdeej [score hidden] 40 minutes ago (1 child)

When a co-worker told me about the Elio, I went to the website, and put down my deposit within the first 30 seconds of reading it. A car that I can use for transport to the gym and work with a low impact to my wallet? What a killer idea.

I am hoping that the expected launch date of 2016 is a firm one, are there any major roadblocks on the horizon that could impact that launch?

[–]PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 11 minutes ago (0 children)

When we announced this production date we said it was predicated on funding. Now the funding picture is getting clearer and we will be able to give a high-fidelity estimate soon.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This really made me smile:

[–]superdeej [score hidden] 40 minutes ago (1 child)

When a co-worker told me about the Elio, I went to the website, and put down my deposit within the first 30 seconds of reading it. A car that I can use for transport to the gym and work with a low impact to my wallet? What a killer idea.

I am hoping that the expected launch date of 2016 is a firm one, are there any major roadblocks on the horizon that could impact that launch?

[–]PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 11 minutes ago (0 children)

When we announced this production date we said it was predicated on funding. Now the funding picture is getting clearer and we will be able to give a high-fidelity estimate soon.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH man I do sure hope they can give an estimate that they can meet. But I'm certain I've felt enough pain, that I won't believe it until I see it. It's not pessimism, it's just memory.

That said, I smiled too!

zarquon

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Kicking off P6-30 in late July? Hmm, that's like in 3-4 weeks. I find that hard to believe, but I'm hopeful!

From Reddit and Paul:

How complete is the P5 going to be, in other words what production features will NOT be on the P5?

• PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 51 minutes ago

The P5 will have the right drivetrain, current aerodynamics for the body, updated interior, IAV Elio engine and correct transmission. The main reason for P5 is that anytime you kick off a prototype you find errors in the CAD model. If we kicked off 25 prototypes all at once, everytime we found an error we would have to redo all 25. So, we are kicking off P5 to validate the solid model and we will be kicking off P6-30 late July.

• RachelBinLA [score hidden] 49 minutes ago

So P5 will be done before late July? Will you be showing that one around the country like you are the P4?

• PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 25 minutes ago

20 weeks is 5 months. Late July is 3 weeks away. But we are going to kick off P6-30 before P5 is done because there is a lot that has to happen before the parts come in and so we want to shortcut the timeline.

• PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 24 minutes ago

One more thing, the P5 will tour once complete.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From Reddit and Paul:

How complete is the P5 going to be, in other words what production features will NOT be on the P5?

• PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 51 minutes ago

The P5 will have the right drivetrain, current aerodynamics for the body, updated interior, IAV Elio engine and correct transmission. The main reason for P5 is that anytime you kick off a prototype you find errors in the CAD model. If we kicked off 25 prototypes all at once, everytime we found an error we would have to redo all 25. So, we are kicking off P5 to validate the solid model and we will be kicking off P6-30 late July.

• RachelBinLA [score hidden] 49 minutes ago

So P5 will be done before late July? Will you be showing that one around the country like you are the P4?

• PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 25 minutes ago

20 weeks is 5 months. Late July is 3 weeks away. But we are going to kick off P6-30 before P5 is done because there is a lot that has to happen before the parts come in and so we want to shortcut the timeline.

• PaulElioMotors[S] [score hidden] 24 minutes ago

One more thing, the P5 will tour once complete.

What does the "20 weeks is 5 months" phrase refer to?

Top Bottom