• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Turbo

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So basically the point of caring for turbos don't turn off the engine for a while after it just had made boost I.E. got hot. Only takes one time to have a turbo red hot then loose the oil supply to cease them up some times. I had a turbo car once and was toying with the idea of installing an aftermarket oil pump that would keep oil flowing on a timer after the engine was shut off.

I am uncertain about the post made about the Elio's 0-60 time. I keep seeing different acceleration ratings everywhere I look online. Seems there is around a 4.5 second margin of error in the estimates posted. Maybe that is a topic for a different discussion. No one knowes until the finished car is produced and tested. Any figure at this time is just an educated guess.
The 9.6 second time is Elios educated guess.

Desertrat57

Elio Fan
Reaction score
You are right. We will have to see what they come up with.
So basically the point of caring for turbos don't turn off the engine for a while after it just had made boost I.E. got hot. Only takes one time to have a turbo red hot then loose the oil supply to cease them up some times. I had a turbo car once and was toying with the idea of installing an aftermarket oil pump that would keep oil flowing on a timer after the engine was shut off.

I am uncertain about the post made about the Elio's 0-60 time. I keep seeing different acceleration ratings everywhere I look online. Seems there is around a 4.5 second margin of error in the estimates posted. Maybe that is a topic for a different discussion. No one knowes until the finished car is produced and tested. Any figure at this time is just an educated guess.

You are right, we will have to see what they come up with in the future.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the 9.6 was with 70 hp.
I'm guessing 11.5 with 50 hp, unless the gearing changes.
Keep in mind, that this is likely with the A/C off and turning on the compressor will likely add a few seconds.
A really hot day over 90 degrees will also add a second or two.

Accelerating an up sloping ramp onto a highway with the A/C on will be a challenge.

The 1995 Geo Metro (second gen body with 1.0l) had a 14.9 0-60 (20 with A/C on).
I use this reference as the standard to beat.
4 people, A/C, hot day.... just floor it and leave it there.

Last edited:

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We won't really know sh*t until they actually build a vehicle with the FINAL engine and drivetrain, exhaust, windshield wiper, rubber grommets, tires, wheels, cup holders, zip ties, etc etc etc.

I'm not going to take any estimations completely seriously from anybody until they are on a test track with a stopwatch.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An aftermarket turbotimer makes sense, and a separate electric oil pump for the turbo bearings makes even more. Coking turbo bearings is largely a thing of the past, as modern turbos provide cooling for those critical turbo bearings. A "light pressure" turbo (to borrow I think from Volvo) could help squeeze a little more power from the 900cc powerplant, but whatever you do to increase power will cost fuel when the additional power is rung down to the engine room. The trick is to stay out of boost as much as you can to preserve mileage.

"Tarheel Hal", the P-47 Thunderbolt currently residing at the Lone Star Flight Museum is an example of turbo technology from WWII. The engine was out front, but the large turbo rode behind the cockpit, making turbo lag a small issue when the throttle was cobbed. Doors were fitted to the intercooler outlet to help streamline the fuselage when boost was not required. The museum's aircraft performs in airshows all over the country and typical of a fighter aircraft, ferry flights between shows aren't really its strong suit. Where do you put your overnight bag?

w-p47-tarheel-hal.jpe

Well, our intrepid pilots discovered you could stuff a briefcase and maybe a small overnight bag into that turbo exhaust - after all, the museum's flight "manual" said you weren't to get the aircraft into boost - ever - that engine was just too expensive to overhaul, and periods on the turbo just accelerated the wear on the sixty-plus year old engine. OK, fine, we'll call it "cargo space".

Then comes the day up in Dallas when the airshow is over and a flight of our aircraft takes off to return to their base on Galveston Island. The '47 is on the flight line warming up with our Spitfire and a P-51 that are going to make the trip together. The pilot has stowed his overnight bag in the turbo exhaust, manually closed the doors, and is ready for flight. As they storm down the runway, the '51 driver decides to show off, pulling up into a high climbout at full power. OK, not to be outdone, our '47 pilot eases on a bit more throttle and accidentally tips over the boost detent. As the turbo spools up and the exhaust doors pop open . . . a nice variety of briefcase contents and dirty laundry floats down to earth.

On arrival at Scholes Field in Galveston, the Air Boss is waiting. "You got into boost, didn't you?" or words to that effect greeted the intrepid airman. Dallas called and is sending your laundry . . . and your briefcase, and $1500 you had stashed inside. Schadenfreude is the name of that feeling when you don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's sort of defined by your enthusiastic excess being ratted out by your dirty laundry being spread over a Texas cow pasture.

Desertrat57

Elio Fan
Reaction score
We won't really know sh*t until they actually build a vehicle with the FINAL engine and drivetrain, exhaust, windshield wiper, rubber grommets, tires, wheels, cup holders, zip ties, etc etc etc.

I'm not going to take any estimations completely seriously from anybody until they are on a test track with a stopwatch.

Zip ties???????????????? Then how about some duct tape while your at it and a chrome hood ornament. Should give you .2 of a sec in the quarter mile.
An aftermarket turbotimer makes sense, and a separate electric oil pump for the turbo bearings makes even more. Coking turbo bearings is largely a thing of the past, as modern turbos provide cooling for those critical turbo bearings. A "light pressure" turbo (to borrow I think from Volvo) could help squeeze a little more power from the 900cc powerplant, but whatever you do to increase power will cost fuel when the additional power is rung down to the engine room. The trick is to stay out of boost as much as you can to preserve mileage.

"Tarheel Hal", the P-47 Thunderbolt currently residing at the Lone Star Flight Museum is an example of turbo technology from WWII. The engine was out front, but the large turbo rode behind the cockpit, making turbo lag a small issue when the throttle was cobbed. Doors were fitted to the intercooler outlet to help streamline the fuselage when boost was not required. The museum's aircraft performs in airshows all over the country and typical of a fighter aircraft, ferry flights between shows aren't really its strong suit. Where do you put your overnight bag?

w-p47-tarheel-hal.jpe

Well, our intrepid pilots discovered you could stuff a briefcase and maybe a small overnight bag into that turbo exhaust - after all, the museum's flight "manual" said you weren't to get the aircraft into boost - ever - that engine was just too expensive to overhaul, and periods on the turbo just accelerated the wear on the sixty-plus year old engine. OK, fine, we'll call it "cargo space".

Then comes the day up in Dallas when the airshow is over and a flight of our aircraft takes off to return to their base on Galveston Island. The '47 is on the flight line warming up with our Spitfire and a P-51 that are going to make the trip together. The pilot has stowed his overnight bag in the turbo exhaust, manually closed the doors, and is ready for flight. As they storm down the runway, the '51 driver decides to show off, pulling up into a high climbout at full power. OK, not to be outdone, our '47 pilot eases on a bit more throttle and accidentally tips over the boost detent. As the turbo spools up and the exhaust doors pop open . . . a nice variety of briefcase contents and dirty laundry floats down to earth.

On arrival at Scholes Field in Galveston, the Air Boss is waiting. "You got into boost, didn't you?" or words to that effect greeted the intrepid airman. Dallas called and is sending your laundry . . . and your briefcase, and $1500 you had stashed inside. Schadenfreude is the name of that feeling when you don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's sort of defined by your enthusiastic excess being ratted out by your dirty laundry being spread over a Texas cow pasture.
To cool Lil4X. Thanks.

Umaxen

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Turbo power to increase low rpm torque and hp? It could increase the mpg of Elio to 120 mpg. Use turbocharging like on a diesel engine to increase power and gain the ability to lower gearing to around 30 mph per 1000 rpm. I already wrote that there are probably kids in their garages, buying parts on EBay and working on this as I type. The 90 mpg is just the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone gear this Elio to 35mph/1000rpm which would yield around 130 mpg. Don't be surprised...

Joe Coppinger

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avaitor - my friend everything you've identified is correct concerning turbo technology of the late 90's into mid 2000, but things have changed.. Especially in the rear mount philosophy.. a simple rear mount; let's say in the back by wheel under the cover, the bearing issue would never be an issue, keeping the engine at 8.5:1 or 9:1 would be perfect for 5lbs boost because the cylinder static pressure wouldn't stress todays gaskets (like cometic). The only draw back would be 93 octane fuel, but this can also be resolved using a knock sensor and timing retard map.. I could go on, but really a turbo is a "do-able" option that benefits out weigh any other option..

NOLIKEIT

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
A turbo diesel would be the only turbo I'd want, too bad diesels are too heavy and expensive to make. N/A or SC but I'll take N/A with a good setup over any forced induction anyday.

Top Bottom