• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Tv Commercial - 60 Second Tv Spots (link)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The crash test units are likely going to be painted with a special pattern that helps make measurements of deformation obvious in the video recordings and post-test inspection. The others will probably be painted.

On the subject of paint, isn't the paint booth usually the limiting point for the production line? If so, I think EM may be able to scale substantially beyond the original production rate the factory was designed for. It seems like the panel on frame configuration, plus the small size may allow sleds with parts for 2 or 3 Elios to be painted at the same time. It would be amazing if they were able to put out over 500k vehicles in the first year.
I think we need to make an important distinction here.

Ever work in a factory with a paint line?
It won't be a booth as we think of them.
It'll be a continuous line that never stops.
The one I worked on was hundreds of feet long.
It was two levels high and doubled back again and again and again.
It continuously moved. The metal chairs and parts were "sprayed" while they moved.
I use quotes because it was a powder process applied with a slight electric current and heat.

We had hundreds of chairs and hundreds of parts on the line at one time.
As a matter of fact the paint line only needed to be run a very small percentage of the time.
So much so, that they contracted for a lot of painting from other mfgs and still only ran it every so often.

Oh, and everything came out dry as a bone.
The end of the line ended up being only a few feet away from the beginning of the line.

So, no a modern paint line is not usually the limiting point for the production line. Far from it.

Last edited:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
The crash test units are likely going to be painted with a special pattern that helps make measurements of deformation obvious in the video recordings and post-test inspection. The others will probably be painted.

On the subject of paint, isn't the paint booth usually the limiting point for the production line? If so, I think EM may be able to scale substantially beyond the original production rate the factory was designed for. It seems like the panel on frame configuration, plus the small size may allow sleds with parts for 2 or 3 Elios to be painted at the same time. It would be amazing if they were able to put out over 500k vehicles in the first year.

Paul had stated that their goal was for 250k in the first year. Some of us think they could do that, some of us don't. It is fun to speculate!

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with your first paragraph.

Thing is... If I'm really interested in knowing what a vehicle is...
I'll stop at the first parked one I see, and 360 till I find the name.
Or I'll search until I find it on the net as soon as I get home.
If I don't... I'm probably not interested enough to ever buy.

So, IMHO, it's not necessary to have the name on the back.
In the first year most will know the vehicle by name anyway.

I saw my first Subaru Baja on Sat. aftn. I drove to see one at a closed dealership the next day(Sun). I bought one on the next day (Monday). When the people begin to see them on the road, the attention they get will soar.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
American Honda Motor Co. is brave to spend millions advertising during the Superbowl to a bunch of "macho guys" with wives that are the real decision makers.

I am willing to bet that 50% of sales will be to women in the 2nd year. It is too practical. Women are practical about money if nothing else.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could you site your sources for them being out of money until Feb. 1st?
I think it's so obvious, that I'm not looking for sources that don't exist Jeff.
They certainly wouldn't come out and say, "We ain't doin' nuttin' cause were broke!", would they?
Or was it just coincidential that in the 'Momentum' after the 1st the language changed to, "being put to use in the building of..."? :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom