• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Tv Commercial - 60 Second Tv Spots (link)

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 8286
Maybe something like this?
The three cylinders will be firing in consecutive order, either front to back or back to front. Take what ever "firing order" is given in the specs and write it down consecutively several times. In this case it is:

1 3 2 1 3 2 1 3 2 1 3 2

Notice the order of 321 repeatedly. This is the order from back to front. Firing orders are always given starting with number 1 cylinder, but since it is repeated, the actual order the engine is running at, can start at any point.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The three cylinders will be firing in consecutive order, either front to back or back to front. Take what ever "firing order" is given in the specs and write it down consecutively several times. In this case it is:

1 3 2 1 3 2 1 3 2 1 3 2

Notice the order of 321 repeatedly. This is the order from back to front. Firing orders are always given starting with number 1 cylinder, but since it is repeated, the actual order the engine is running at, can start at any point.
What? Any car can start at any point no matter how many cylinders it has; it's doesn't have to wait for #1 before it can start.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't follow you. Start what?
I think what -Trusting- was trying to reconcile is 3 cylinders with the 4 stroke cycle. Ideally you want a firing piston opposing a compressing one, but with 3 cylinders this doesn't work out, not evenly anyway. What ever the actually cycling is, the G10 in the Swift/Geo-Metro did it for years so it definitely has been worked out.

The best you can do is watch the valves in this video --link--- where they are closed and the piston is at the top, that's the timing of the firing. Timing is much more explicit than talking about the simple firing order.

As you can see, the firing of any one piston is not perfectly opposite from the compression of another. They are solving autocycle dynamic issues in other ways.

Last edited:

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think what -Trusting- was trying to reconcile is 3 cylinders with the 4 stroke cycle. Ideally you want a firing piston opposing a compressing one, but with 3 cylinders this doesn't work out, not evenly anyway. What ever the actually cycling is, the G10 in the Swift/Geo-Metro did it for years so it definitely has been worked out.

The best you can do is watch the valves in this video --link--- where they are closed and the piston is at the top, that's the timing of the firing. Timing is much more explicit than talking about the simple firing order.

As you can see, the firing of any one piston is not perfectly opposite from the compression of another. They are solving autocycle dynamic issues in other ways.

First, let me say I didn't explain myself clearly with my question. Apologies! AriLea hit on the problem I was trying to understand... thanks. It looks to me that 4 strokes won't divide into 3 cylinders evenly so you will have uneven firing. I wonder what effect this has on the smoothness of the engine. I'm no engineer so I have to trust those that designed it. It should be good because although the Germans are not known for being great at human relations, they are superb with machines....

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First, let me say I didn't explain myself clearly with my question. Apologies! AriLea hit on the problem I was trying to understand... thanks. It looks to me that 4 strokes won't divide into 3 cylinders evenly so you will have uneven firing. I wonder what effect this has on the smoothness of the engine. I'm no engineer so I have to trust those that designed it. It should be good because although the Germans are not known for being great at human relations, they are superb with machines....
Fast forward to about 2:30.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
although the Germans are not known for being great at human relations, they are superb with machines....

now they're also getting known for not building superb machines that function as advertised (TDI-VW).
Over engineered, time consuming repairs and expensive parts do not a good machine make ( I exclude all my BMW air heads!) My last beemer (BMW 135IM) blew a head gasket "about 4k, depending"..... private mechanics apparently don't have the specialized tools necessary. VW Bug, now there was German engineering at it's best!! I loved "The Thing" right out of a WW@ movie!!
1/2 time, game sucks, so too the commercials

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
although the Germans are not known for being great at human relations, they are superb with machines....

now they're also getting known for not building superb machines that function as advertised (TDI-VW).
Over engineered, time consuming repairs and expensive parts do not a good machine make ( I exclude all my BMW air heads!) My last beemer (BMW 135IM) blew a head gasket "about 4k, depending"..... private mechanics apparently don't have the specialized tools necessary. VW Bug, now there was German engineering at it's best!! I loved "The Thing" right out of a WW@ movie!!
1/2 time, game sucks, so too the commercials
Puppy, monkey, baby,Puppy, monkey, baby,Puppy, monkey, baby,Puppy, monkey, baby,Puppy, monkey, baby,Puppy, monkey, baby.

Top Bottom