• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust System

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if they'll insulate between exhaust and floor pan. It could get pretty crispy in there.

I am sure they will have to especially considering that we know they plan to use a composite floor pan made of the same material as the body Luckily they don't need a lot of heat shielding as it does work quite well as there are a number of vehicles that use composite undertrays with only thin layers or heat shielding protecting the undertray from the hot exhaust. Any undertrays we make or buy will also have to take this into consideration.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
So it looks like we now have some really good information direct from EM on the planned exhaust routing for the production vehicle and it is very different than from the P4. In this image the exhaust system can be seen in green and it is now being shown exiting out the left rear after running down the right side of the vehicle.

elio-suppliers-jpg.5110.jpg

An interesting twist is that until now we have been told that the exhaust would not exit at the rear because the fuel tank was in the way making routing the exhaust to the rear difficult. This image now has me wondering if the recent news about the fuel tank size reduction may actually be attributable to this new exhaust routing instead of to the rear seat being lowered as we had surmised.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
An interesting twist is that until now we have been told that the exhaust would not exit at the rear because the fuel tank was in the way making routing the exhaust to the rear difficult. This image now has me wondering if the recent news about the fuel tank size reduction may actually be attributable to this new exhaust routing instead of to the rear seat being lowered as we had surmised.

could easily be a combination of both

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Where did that image come from, and what fuel tank size reduction? Links please?

This image was captured from the new investor inquiries video on the EM web site: http://www.eliomotors.com/investor-inquiries/

The fuel tank size reduction news came from EM back in January: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-and-gas-prices.762/page-35#post-84169

This image shows a much more refined vehicle design including many of the expected changes we were told about and/or are needed for the production model as well as some surprises such as the new exhaust routing.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if shielding will be needed to deflect heat from the muffler away from the rear tire/bearing

This is a good question, I guess it depends just how close the exhaust is to the tire. I know exhausts are commonly routed fairly close to rear tires and/or spare tires without issue so I am guessing automotive engineers already know how close is too close.

I am wondering why the exhaust crosses from the right side to the left. Did they have clearance issues with the swingarm or was it something else?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is a good question, I guess it depends just how close the exhaust is to the tire. I know exhausts are commonly routed fairly close to rear tires and/or spare tires without issue so I am guessing automotive engineers already know how close is too close.

I am wondering why the exhaust crosses from the right side to the left. Did they have clearance issues with the swingarm or was it something else?

good eye .... I have no doubt they have their reasons .... to me this is a much better design than the one that had the exhaust exit right below the fuel port

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Goofyone. I suspect the tank size reduction was packaging so they could run the exhaust by it. Running the exhaust near the tank is common these days. Look underneath any new car and you see it. In my RX-8 the exhaust goes right under the middle of the plastic tank. Heat shielding is everything.

Top Bottom