• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust System

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two things to add to this thread. Belly pans- most belly pans include drain holes or slots so that road and wash water can get out. The other issue, every one is asking about muffler placement- I am more interested in the fact that the engine videos show the catalytic converter right under the exhaust manifold, against the side of the block. Catalytic converters are VERY hot. As most of you know, you can easily start a grass fire by parking a hot converter in tall, dry grass. Seems like a heat source right in front of the firewall and under the hood would really heat up that small space. Some old GM trucks had to put heat shields on the manifold pipe to prevent the exhaust heat from melting the solenoid housing off the top of the starter.
Perhaps some other thoughts on this would be interesting.

A Mazda Protégé I had awhile back had a converter like you mentioned, right off the exhaust manifold. Not sure if it was a pre-cat, or the only one on the exhaust. As for the heat build-up under the hood, I'm guessing (because I haven't taken a close look at the engine compartment) that even with a belly pan, the heat could exit out the wheel wells...assuming there's no inner fender wells blocking the flow. Maybe one of the Georgia boys that got to see it last weekend can chime in on what they saw with the hood popped.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Two things to add to this thread. Belly pans- most belly pans include drain holes or slots so that road and wash water can get out. The other issue, every one is asking about muffler placement- I am more interested in the fact that the engine videos show the catalytic converter right under the exhaust manifold, against the side of the block. Catalytic converters are VERY hot. As most of you know, you can easily start a grass fire by parking a hot converter in tall, dry grass. Seems like a heat source right in front of the firewall and under the hood would really heat up that small space. Some old GM trucks had to put heat shields on the manifold pipe to prevent the exhaust heat from melting the solenoid housing off the top of the starter.
A Mazda Protégé I had awhile back had a converter like you mentioned, right off the exhaust manifold. Not sure if it was a pre-cat, or the only one on the exhaust. As for the heat build-up under the hood, I'm guessing (because I haven't taken a close look at the engine compartment) that even with a belly pan, the heat could exit out the wheel wells...assuming there's no inner fender wells blocking the flow. Maybe one of the Georgia boys that got to see it last weekend can chime in on what they saw with the hood popped.

The Honda Civic I have owned and used as a daily drivers for years has its catalytic converter mounted in the very same place and the only time I notice it is when I need to change the oil as I have to make sure to keep my hands away from that area when changing the oil filter. The cat is located at the front of the vehicle and down low so there should be plenty or air flow allowing the heat to escape out through the bottom or wheel wheels if using a belly pan.

safetytt250180a.JPG

ec58377b-630b-4964-a456-76a8450b3c9d.jpg

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am more interested in the fact that the engine videos show the catalytic converter right under the exhaust manifold, against the side of the block. Catalytic converters are VERY hot. As most of you know, you can easily start a grass fire by parking a hot converter in tall, dry grass. Seems like a heat source right in front of the firewall and under the hood would really heat up that small space. Some old GM trucks had to put heat shields on the manifold pipe to prevent the exhaust heat from melting the solenoid housing off the top of the starter.

The later G10 engines had the "cat" in that same position. The advantage (for good emission control) is that it heats up very quickly because it is effectively part of the manifold, is rigidly bolted to it and protected from the possibility of getting knocked by something on the road.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can bet the muffler will not be far from the engine. Nor will it have a long tail pipe. If they run the exhaust to far it cools to much. On modern engines It is important for the exhaust system to maintain heat. The hotter exhaust effect flow, and that effect performance and tune. Exhaust temps are a fine balancing act when refining the over all performance of an engine. This gets even more important in small ones.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You can bet the muffler will not be far from the engine. Nor will it have a long tail pipe. If they run the exhaust to far it cools to much. On modern engines It is important for the exhaust system to maintain heat. The hotter exhaust effect flow, and that effect performance and tune. Exhaust temps are a fine balancing act when refining the over all performance of an engine. This gets even more important in small ones.

interesting .... I wasn't aware of that

Jim

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Search did not provide info and I have read most of the threads so any info on the exhaust system? With the low overhang over rear tire it would seem the tail pipe would release directly onto the overhang. I have seen many cars with extensive discoloration on the rear bumper from tail pipes and that is without the pipe(s) being completely blocked. I guess on Elio most would be inside the overhang where it will not be seen but could damage. Thoughts?

Top Bottom