• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pick Up

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On break ins... I remember reading something years ago about Russian diesel tank engines, and that it was "normal" to remove about a kilo of shavings from the crankcase at the first oil change. :eek:
They recommended an oil change after 5 hours on my lawn tractor for similar reasons. But I know nothing about whether the new technology they are using on the engine will supersede that need for a quick replacement oil change. I haven't heard of doing it on a typical new car.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is fine but if the store is not built yet were we can pick up our car why should we have to pay some to delivery it to us at our home.
Isn't that like adding our destination charge. One other thing they said in a video about all the cars are going to be the same coming from factory except your color and transmission selection and then it will go to another center to install your option selection .What happens next so we can finalize the sale and drive it home?
There will be a marshaling center near or at the production plant. This marshaling center will handle all options until the other marshaling centers are set up. I'd expect Elio to assemble your options there and then at least ship Elio's all over the country to the existing facilities of the company they just chose to do the delivery logistics. I'm sorry I can't remember their name. They are an existing auction company that has a fleet of trucks. Once your Elio gets to their closest facility, I'm sure you can either pick it up there or Elio will ship to your door. They've said in the past that they'd do that till the marshaling centers are up and running.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Marshall,
No worries, Ty covered it perfectly:

The first oil change in my truck wasn't until 7,500 miles. It isn't recommended to change the oil so quickly any more. It's been years since that has been true. "Seat the rings right" and "Drive it like you stole it if you want it to be fast" were typical things you'd hear. Not so any more. Engines now only require a few minutes of running to be "broke in" and that is done long before you'll get your hands on it. "But, I've always done that and it always works." So what? You could pour coffee on the floor every day and claim THAT's the reason it runs so good. Causality can't be proven easily.

"The admonition to keep engine revs low for an extended break-in period stems from the days when bearing and crankshaft manufacturing tolerances were far less rigorous and lubricating oil wasn't nearly as good. While modern engines are assembled to much the same design clearances, the tolerances are much tighter, meaning the variability is smaller, greatly reducing the possibility of a tight spot. Redlining a fresh motor is generally a bad idea, but there's no reason you shouldn't drive normally. " - Popular Mechanics

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The first oil change in my truck wasn't until 7,500 miles. It isn't recommended to change the oil so quickly any more. It's been years since that has been true. "Seat the rings right" and "Drive it like you stole it if you want it to be fast" were typical things you'd hear. Not so any more. Engines now only require a few minutes of running to be "broke in" and that is done long before you'll get your hands on it. "But, I've always done that and it always works." So what? You could pour coffee on the floor every day and claim THAT's the reason it runs so good. Causality can't be proven easily.

"The admonition to keep engine revs low for an extended break-in period stems from the days when bearing and crankshaft manufacturing tolerances were far less rigorous and lubricating oil wasn't nearly as good. While modern engines are assembled to much the same design clearances, the tolerances are much tighter, meaning the variability is smaller, greatly reducing the possibility of a tight spot. Redlining a fresh motor is generally a bad idea, but there's no reason you shouldn't drive normally. " - Popular Mechanics

." So what? You could pour coffee on the floor every day and claim THAT's the reason it runs so good. Causality can't be proven easily.

If correlation proved causality. You could prove that red lights caused cars to stop.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
." So what? You could pour coffee on the floor every day and claim THAT's the reason it runs so good. Causality can't be proven easily.
If correlation proved causality. You could prove that red lights caused cars to stop.
Red lights don't cause cars to stop; red lights inform the operator of the vehicle that he/she should stop the vehicle. :p

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0551.PNG
There will be a marshaling center near or at the production plant. This marshaling center will handle all options until the other marshaling centers are set up. I'd expect Elio to assemble your options there and then at least ship Elio's all over the country to the existing facilities of the company they just chose to do the delivery logistics. I'm sorry I can't remember their name. They are an existing auction company that has a fleet of trucks. Once your Elio gets to their closest facility, I'm sure you can either pick it up there or Elio will ship to your door. They've said in the past that they'd do that till the marshaling centers are up and running.

The nearest ADESA facility to the Elio Motors assembly plant in Caddo Parish is actually a 10-minute drive away in Greenwood, just on the other side of I-20. Pure speculation on my part suggests that is going to be the primary marshaling location. It wouldn't be too much of a logistical undertaking to truck all assembled Elio vehicles to that address and have all shipping originate from ADESA Shreveport.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 11537

The nearest ADESA facility to the Elio Motors assembly plant in Caddo Parish is actually a 10-minute drive away in Greenwood, just on the other side of I-20. Pure speculation on my part suggests that is going to be the primary marshaling location. It wouldn't be too much of a logistical undertaking to truck all assembled Elio vehicles to that address and have all shipping originate from ADESA Shreveport.
Or Adesa could open a satellite office in part of the plant (aka just mark off an area for them) and go right from the loading dock at the factory.
Adesa would just need to bring a few trailers over and when their full, have a cab come hook up and go.
The factory does have a rail spur right in it for the long hauls.

leediablo

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Here is what I did when I refused to pay a destination charge. Since it is Mandated by Federal Law, as I was informed, then deduct the destination fee from the cost of the vehicle. Then, and only then, will I purchase the car. They did just that for me, the law was satisfied as was I.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is what I did when I refused to pay a destination charge. Since it is Mandated by Federal Law, as I was informed, then deduct the destination fee from the cost of the vehicle. Then, and only then, will I purchase the car. They did just that for me, the law was satisfied as was I.
Just another example that, "Everything is negotiable!"

Jeff H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never really negotiate fees. When I make an offer, I firmly explain, that the number I wrote down, is the same number that I will write on the check. Often, they don't grasp that at first, but I just re-explain that I am uninterested in all the fees, that is their concern. The number that I offered is the number on the check. I also have a good grip on the current market and what a reasonable offer is, because everyone has to pay their bills so even the dealer has to make some money on the deal. To do this, you have to put some research and effort in before hand.

Top Bottom