• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pickup, Retail Store Pickup, Or Delivery

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I can certainly understand what you're saying, but it isn't the same thing. What I'm talking about is picking up the vehicle at the factory...the vehicle never even gets loaded on a truck, it is driven away by the new owner when it rolls off the assembly line...regardless of what the law says, I don't see how consumers can be forced to pay for a service that's never rendered. That in and of itself sounds like a violation of the law...

Generally you would be correct however in this case federal laws and rules specifically allow for charging a destination/delivery fee for vehicles picked up at a manufacturing plant. However, it is also fair to point out that federal rules only require destination/delivery charges be itemized and do not dictate how they are calculated so it is up to Elio Motors to determine whether they will follow the industry norm and use equalized delivery/destination charges for all buyers, exempt factory pickup orders from these charges, or they could even charge each buyer the actual costs of moving the vehicle from the factory to the delivery location.

It is my understanding that no final decisions have been made however what I, and others, have heard is that it is likely that once these vehicles are available at retail everyone, including factory pickup orders, will pay a standard equalized destination charge as is common for vehicles sold in this country.

We have also heard that reservation holders could be treated differently however once again I have to point out that no final decision has been made. In this scenario what has been discussed is that factory pickup orders going to reservation holders would not be required to pay a delivery fee and reserved vehicles being delivered would be charged an equalized destination charge for delivery to set delivery locations throughout the country and have the option of paying for shipping direct to your home or other location of your choosing.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Generally you would be correct however unfortunately in this case federal laws and rules specifically allow for charging a destination/delivery fee for vehicles picked up at a manufacturing plant. However, it is also fair to point out that federal rules only require destination/delivery charges be itemized and do not dictate how they are calculated so it is up to Elio Motors to determine whether they will follow the industry norm and use equalized delivery/destination charges for all buyers, exempt factory pickup orders from these charges, or they could even charge each buyer the actual costs of moving the vehicle from the factory to the delivery location.

It is my understanding that no final decisions have been made however what I, and others, have heard is that it is likely that once these vehicles are available at retail everyone, including factory pickup orders, will pay a standard equalized destination charge as is common for vehicles sold in this country.

We have also heard that reservation holders could be treated differently however once again I have to point out that no final decision has been made. In this scenario what has been discussed is that factory pickup orders going to reservation holders would not be required to pay a delivery fee and reserved vehicles being delivered would be charged an equalized destination charge for delivery to set delivery locations throughout the country or have the option of paying for shipping direct to your home or other location of your choosing.

Personally I have calculated the cost of a destination charge into my Elio savings. If it works out so that I do not have to pay a destination charge for a factory pickup then even better however I am prepared for it either way. :)

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can certainly understand what you're saying, but it isn't the same thing. What I'm talking about is picking up the vehicle at the factory...the vehicle never even gets loaded on a truck, it is driven away by the new owner when it rolls off the assembly line...regardless of what the law says, I don't see how consumers can be forced to pay for a service that's never rendered. That in and of itself sounds like a violation of the law...

I picked up my Tacoma about a mile from where it was assembled and had to pay the destination charge as if I picked it up 500 miles away. I don't think it got driven on a truck more like some one from the dealership drove it over.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I picked up my Tacoma about a mile from where it was assembled and had to pay the destination charge as if I picked it up 500 miles away. I don't think it got driven on a truck more like some one from the dealership drove it over.

I see how they're doing it now. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned picking up a new Corvette at the plant in Bowling Green and said that you actually pick it up at the Corvette museum (which is literally across the street from the plant)...then I remembered, I used to work with a guy who did that very thing. So I emailed him. Sure enough, that's what they do...he said they trailer them from the plant across the street to the museum. That constitutes a delivery...and I'll bet that if EM decides to charge a delivery fee to people who are picking up their Elio at the plant, you won't be able to pick it up there...you'll have to pick it up at a different location other than the plant...that's how they justify charging you the fee no matter what...what a racket!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
during a conversation with Jerome Vassallo, VP of Sales at the Elio exhibit on 12-6-14 in Charlotte, NC, I learned that they hope to have a few Retail Centers open in major markets in 2015 (possible examples : NY City and LA) .... with the remainder coming on line in 2016

Jim

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My prediction, based on an Elio Facebook reply, is that EM will create yet another partnership by leasing sales/showroom space, with an established national/worldwide car sales/rental chain. Fleet sales Elio's would be used for rentals and as sales demos. Sales staff would be EM hired, trained, and managed as Elio employees. This would insure a quality controlled, hassle free, and friendly sales experience. The concept would provide EM a fast, efficient, and economical roll out of Elio Sales locations. It would be Elio out of the box thinking, much like their servicing partnership with PB.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
My prediction, based on an Elio Facebook reply, is that EM will create yet another partnership by leasing sales/showroom space, with an established national/worldwide car sales/rental chain. Fleet sales Elio's would be used for rentals and as sales demos. Sales staff would be EM hired, trained, and managed as Elio employees. This would insure a quality controlled, hassle free, and friendly sales experience. The concept would provide EM a fast, efficient, and economical roll out of Elio Sales locations. It would be Elio out of the box thinking, much like their servicing partnership with PB.

I have no idea if this will really happen however I can definitely see EM making a deal like this.

Top Bottom