• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry RU. I'd rather eat that steak, and take a pill for the cholesterol. Sad to say, but there is NO WAY I could turn that down!:oops:
hey we each have to follow our own path, took me two surgeries of stints to "wake" me up.
I'm working on being as healthy as possible, when I die!!
but for sure,on my list, is to get my Elio!!

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hey we each have to follow our own path, took me two surgeries of stints to "wake" me up.

but for sure,on my list, is to get my Elio!!
This quote got to me.
"I'm working on being as healthy as possible, when I die!!"
Maybe you have a few years on me, I don't know, but personally, I'm working on being as "happy" as possible when I die. We are all different, and I know your path is the healthiest, food wise. It's just not for me. I would honestly be miserable without meat in my diet. It's kinda like I would feel "incomplete". I must say, some of you're recepies sound very tasty, but without meat as the "main course", I, for one would be looking for a cheeseburger after leaving one of your dinner parties. Please don't take offense, I could just never be Vegan. My first double cheeseburger in the front seat of my Elio will be in your honor RU. ;)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This quote got to me.
"I'm working on being as healthy as possible, when I die!!"
Maybe you have a few years on me, I don't know, but personally, I'm working on being as "happy" as possible when I die. We are all different, and I know your path is the healthiest, food wise. It's just not for me. I would honestly be miserable without meat in my diet. It's kinda like I would feel "incomplete". I must say, some of you're recepies sound very tasty, but without meat as the "main course", I, for one would be looking for a cheeseburger after leaving one of your dinner parties. Please don't take offense, I could just never be Vegan. My first double cheeseburger in the front seat of my Elio will be in your honor RU. ;)
hey it's all cool -5 years ago I'd be saying exactly the same as yourself! I enjoyed the single serving 1/2 gal ice cream, and I loved Popeyes chicken over Kentucky Fried!
I am honored that anyone would dedicate something so important as their first meal in their Elio to me-outstanding!!
well it's XI:IV, time to turn in going off with a smile on my face-thanks

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would honestly be miserable without meat in my diet. It's kinda like I would feel "incomplete".

understood .... per doctor's orders, I (try to) follow a low carb diet .... as one who really enjoys sweet tea, white taters and bread, that ain't easy but for me is doable .... cutting out chicken, pork, and beef would be miserable at the least and most probably impossible

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hey it's all cool -5 years ago I'd be saying exactly the same as yourself! I enjoyed the single serving 1/2 gal ice cream, and I loved Popeyes chicken over Kentucky Fried!
I am honored that anyone would dedicate something so important as their first meal in their Elio to me-outstanding!!
well it's XI:IV, time to turn in going off with a smile on my face-thanks
You are right about Popeye's Chicken - It is the best and don't forget the red beans and rice.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
understood .... per doctor's orders, I (try to) follow a low carb diet .... as one who really enjoys sweet tea, white taters and bread, that ain't easy but for me is doable .... cutting out chicken, pork, and beef would be miserable at the least and most probably impossible
I'm getting lost in what is junk science and real here. Remember when Alar in apples was deadly. Coconut oil (the secret to Movie popcorn) is actually good for you and actually a healthy item in that the high cholesterol in it is not absorbed or accumulated as feared. Whats with coffee now days?
I must confess that donuts and cinnamon buns are my down fall. I found a work around though. At Sam's I buy a box of those cute little crescent rolls. I split them lengthwise with a serrated bread knife. A Miracle Wave type counter type oven works best but any miniature toaster type oven will work.
Melt some butter and coconut oil in a skillet. Place your split crescents face down in it, then, transfer to your toaster oven. Remove when Super flakey to die for and top it with your favorite spreadable chocolate, honey, maple sirup, preserves. OK so I lied. This is not a work around for the doughnut. But is a super quick fix that reminds me of the Greek Baclava.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting lost in what is junk science and real here. Remember when Alar in apples was deadly. Coconut oil (the secret to Movie popcorn) is actually good for you and actually a healthy item in that the high cholesterol in it is not absorbed or accumulated as feared. Whats with coffee now days?
I must confess that donuts and cinnamon buns are my down fall. I found a work around though. At Sam's I buy a box of those cute little crescent rolls. I split them lengthwise with a serrated bread knife. A Miracle Wave type counter type oven works best but any miniature toaster type oven will work.
Melt some butter and coconut oil in a skillet. Place your split crescents face down in it, then, transfer to your toaster oven. Remove when Super flaky to die for and top it with your favorite honey, maple sirup, preserves. OK so I lied. This is not a work around for the doughnut. But is a super quick fix that reminds me of the Greek Baclava.
You are soon correct about what's "good" for you. Each of your examples have folks who swear it's the worst thing you can eatand others say you can't live without it.. There are too many variables in each of our digestive tracts, life styles, food choice interactions, time we eat, quantity, additives etc. to ever be able to point specifically to one food.
There are some documented studies that examine very large groups of folks. For example-
Norwegians have always been large consumers of dairy and beef consumption. At the beginning of WW2 The Germans invaded and confiscated the beef for their troops, forcing Norwegians to find protein in plants.-
Dramatically the levels of cholesterol/ heart disease went down. After the war went back up. However there are folks who do not see a cause and effect, and some who report that there is no research to indicate that cholesterol levels are a determinant to health.
Just a quick aside. This mostly applies to smoking but is also heard with food choice-
" o.k.. I know it's bad, so I'll die a few years early", my point -that the few years before early death might not be at all pleasant as illness and suffering could begin years before your acceptance of 2 year sacrifice. Hey, but that's just me.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem may have been the single serving 1/2 Gallon ice cream. What works for me is moderation smaller servings of the highest quality food or ingredients I can find. It's balanced and I don't have to cut anything totally out of my diet........so far. When I need an ice cream fix I buy a pint of Haagen-Dazs and with one small scoop per serving that pint lasts a week. 2 oz. burgers not 1/2 pound, 4 baby back ribs not a rack, 1 pancake not a stack, etc..

When my wife and I go out, we usually split a dinner saving money and calories. The one thing I couldn't live without is coffee and caramel pecan rolls. That's two things. Thankfully, 4-5 cups per day is now considered beneficial along with a square of dark chocolate. I'm waiting for a future study to find Caramel rolls are now a healthy choice. When I crave them I bake a small batch from scratch burning some calories in the process.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem may have been the single serving 1/2 Gallon ice cream. What works for me is moderation smaller servings of the highest quality food or ingredients I can find. It's balanced and I don't have to cut anything totally out of my diet........so far. When I need an ice cream fix I buy a pint of Haagen-Dazs and with one small scoop per serving that pint lasts a week. 2 oz. burgers not 1/2 pound, 4 baby back ribs not a rack, 1 pancake not a stack, etc..

When my wife and I go out, we usually split a dinner saving money and calories. The one thing I couldn't live without is coffee and caramel pecan rolls. That's two things. Thankfully, 4-5 cups per day is now considered beneficial along with a square of dark chocolate. I'm waiting for a future study to find Caramel rolls are now a healthy choice. When I crave them I bake a small batch from scratch burning some calories in the process.

My hat's off to you and the Mrs. It took personal tragedy to "wake me"
I don't remember the food, but when Woody Allen wakes up (Sleeper) he finds out what he thought was bad back then is now good!

Top Bottom