• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a quick aside. This mostly applies to smoking but is also heard with food choice-
" o.k.. I know it's bad, so I'll die a few years early", my point -that the few years before early death might not be at all pleasant as illness and suffering could begin years before your acceptance of 2 year sacrifice. Hey, but that's just me.

I heard a man say that the closer one eats to the way God made it is a good general health rule. Of course that required common sense. Cooking to bacteria killing temperatures all the way threw meat is a must. Speaking of raw, has anyone ever eaten a German Hamberger?
Also we know that "few year" argument is dumb as you say. To the other extreme I can see some health nut fussing with his doctors as to why he is on his death bed for no particular reason. LOL

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I heard a man say that the closer one eats to the way God made it is a good general health rule. Of course that required common sense. Cooking to bacteria killing temperatures all the way threw meat is a must. Speaking of raw, has anyone ever eaten a German Hamberger?
Also we know that "few year" argument is dump as you say. To the other extreme I can see some health nuts fussing with there doctors as to why they are on their death bed for no particular reason. LOL

Even Vegans die!!! -they hate when I say it.
My fav other vegan observation- a vegan will step over a dying baby to save a dog!!
I think the big knock I've encountered as a vegan is the politicalization of Vegan and not just a dietary choice. Say vegetarian and it's cool, say vegan and folks think you spray paint on fur coats, no testing of animals, and free the zoos and circuses.
Living in a senior community, I've learned to say "a special proscribed diet" -works.,Before, they would, ever so slowly, move away as if I said leprosy !!

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget the bacon. :)
No effing way Lock! Bacon is like "meat candy". Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. A local school had their 4H club raise, slaughter, and sell hogs. Have you ever had natural, un-smoked, non-processed bacon? I have, but prefer what we grew up on classified as bacon.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Poor Man BBQ sauce, or as I like to call it, multi tasking food!
Mix Catsup and grape jelly together! Tastes like BBQ sauce! Really! Try it!
I've used it backpacking!

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even Vegans die!!! -they hate when I say it.
My fav other vegan observation- a vegan will step over a dying baby to save a dog!!
I think the big knock I've encountered as a vegan is the politicalization of Vegan and not just a dietary choice. Say vegetarian and it's cool, say vegan and folks think you spray paint on fur coats, no testing of animals, and free the zoos and circuses.
Living in a senior community, I've learned to say "a special proscribed diet" -works.,Before, they would, ever so slowly, move away as if I said leprosy !!
I work about 5 min. from a hospital (the one I was born in). I often go to their cafateria for lunch. Yes, my co-workers laugh at me for going there, until I tell them what I had. Today it was , turnip greens (with a splash of vinegar, YUM) black eyed peas, and chiken tampico (a fried chicken breast with green and red pepper cheese sauce on it) and a piece of corn bread. You get that with a 20 oz. drink for $6.99. For all you working stiffs out there, if you're close to a Hospital, give it a try for lunch! I know it's unusual, but for the same price as a fast food combo, you can actually eat better food for the same price!:)

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, I give up. All the bad stuff I was told to avoid ten years ago, salt, fat, sugar, coffee, etc. is slowly becoming "good" for me. A hospital dietician heartily approved of my usual breakfast of peanut butter on toast - immediately after my bypass surgery. And here I thought I was condemned to green tea, tofu, and arugula for the rest of my life. :(

Several trips to Norway helped convince me the assumed "healthy" Scandinavian diet wasn't for me either - occupying the opposite end of the "healthy" spectrum. New potatoes on your plate for every meal and a big jar of Nutella on every table wasn't exactly my idea of "healthy". If you read the label on some of these spreads, you'll never touch the stuff. "Palm Oil" is a major ingredient in that national obsession, Nutella. It's sort of arterial gum, the equivalent of Stop Leak for your cardiac arteries. Ummm- pass the nitroglycerine, please. :confused:

I'm sure I could tolerate a "healthy" diet of raw fish (sans mercury), skinless chicken, liquid aminos, and take bottles of lemon juice and flaxseed oil with me when turned out to graze on the lawn, but I don't intend to live forever. What the heck are you living FOR, if you can't enjoy the diet of at least a reasonable omnivore? Life without a big steak grilled to perfection with onions and mushrooms, or an occasional scoop of Blue Bell, just ain't worth it. ;)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, I give up. All the bad stuff I was told to avoid ten years ago, salt, fat, sugar, coffee, etc. is slowly becoming "good" for me. A hospital dietician heartily approved of my usual breakfast of peanut butter on toast - immediately after my bypass surgery. And here I thought I was condemned to green tea, tofu, and arugula for the rest of my life. :(

Several trips to Norway helped convince me the assumed "healthy" Scandinavian diet wasn't for me either - occupying the opposite end of the "healthy" spectrum. New potatoes on your plate for every meal and a big jar of Nutella on every table wasn't exactly my idea of "healthy". If you read the label on some of these spreads, you'll never touch the stuff. "Palm Oil" is a major ingredient in that national obsession, Nutella. It's sort of arterial gum, the equivalent of Stop Leak for your cardiac arteries. Ummm- pass the nitroglycerine, please. :confused:

I'm sure I could tolerate a "healthy" diet of raw fish (sans mercury), skinless chicken, liquid aminos, and take bottles of lemon juice and flaxseed oil with me when turned out to graze on the lawn, but I don't intend to live forever. What the heck are you living FOR, if you can't enjoy the diet of at least a reasonable omnivore? Life without a big steak grilled to perfection with onions and mushrooms, or an occasional scoop of Blue Bell, just ain't worth it. ;)
I was to the point to inject Nutella, as a back-up always had a can of cake frosting.
Your dietician, IMO is right-on, plant fats, and animal fats react differently also helps explain olive oil. Although Palm oil too is included, I by choice don't use any.
I (try) never to prostelize to anyone about what they consume, nor do I feel it necessary to defend my own choices.
This not directed at you, but as good a place to stick this in. With all the meat eaters here, I think it's fun to share my choice to be a vegan, and then see posted pictures of some beef wrapped in bacon- I do not offer, nor expect to be offended. I see it as, after my, kids one of my greatest accomplishments!
Dec 2010
215 lbs
resting puls90-95
cholestérol through the roof
Very high blood pressure
two surgeries for stints, couldn't walk around a block (that's about a 1/4 mile for you guys who live in places where you have to drive to get to paved roads)
pre-diabetic
w/ meds for all the above
Now
145 lbs
BMI @20
off all meds including blood thinners (and then went out and got tattooed)
from size 38 tight to 32 loose
I finally took to heart what EVERY doctor ALWAYS recommends- Change your diet and exercise.
took a year to lose the weight and another until I decided that a vegan diet for me works best
Jog 3-6 miles daily (and because of my age (72) I usually get to medal in the 70-75 year old division in 3k road races!!
Of course to be honest, there are sometimes less than 3 of my peers, so just getting across the finish line assures victory!
I of course realize that there is no assurance that my life will be prolonged by my lifestyle, but I'm happier with myself for the effort

I wish us all health, and years to enjoy our Elio

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was to the point to inject Nutella, as a back-up always had a can of cake frosting.
Your dietician, IMO is right-on, plant fats, and animal fats react differently also helps explain olive oil. Although Palm oil too is included, I by choice don't use any.
I (try) never to prostelize to anyone about what they consume, nor do I feel it necessary to defend my own choices.
This not directed at you, but as good a place to stick this in. With all the meat eaters here, I think it's fun to share my choice to be a vegan, and then see posted pictures of some beef wrapped in bacon- I do not offer, nor expect to be offended. I see it as, after my, kids one of my greatest accomplishments!
Dec 2010
215 lbs
resting puls90-95
cholestérol through the roof
Very high blood pressure
two surgeries for stints, couldn't walk around a block (that's about a 1/4 mile for you guys who live in places where you have to drive to get to paved roads)
pre-diabetic
w/ meds for all the above
Now
145 lbs
BMI @20
off all meds including blood thinners (and then went out and got tattooed)
from size 38 tight to 32 loose
I finally took to heart what EVERY doctor ALWAYS recommends- Change your diet and exercise.
took a year to lose the weight and another until I decided that a vegan diet for me works best
Jog 3-6 miles daily (and because of my age (72) I usually get to medal in the 70-75 year old division in 3k road races!!
Of course to be honest, there are sometimes less than 3 of my peers, so just getting across the finish line assures victory!
I of course realize that there is no assurance that my life will be prolonged by my lifestyle, but I'm happier with myself for the effort

I wish us all health, and years to enjoy our Elio

You know RU? I wish I had your willpower, and understand that you are trying to warn us (of the younger members, 48 for me) of what could happen later on in life. 3-6 miles daily at 72?!?!? Really! I'm impressed! If I need to go that far, I have to start a car, or the bike. Well, not really. it has to be something I love, like hunting, to get me to walk that far. BTW, it isn't easy climbing, and descending all the wooded hills around here for that sport. Unfortunately, hunting season is VERY short, but I get lots of exercise during that time. Curious about your elevated heart rate. I've noticed that in myself lately. What does that mean?:)

Top Bottom