• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Smoked Sausage

I got to thinking that with the rainy, cool weather here today, it might be a good day to fire up our smoker .... drover over to the "abattoir" (one can't say slaughterhouse any more so they now use the French word abattoir .... the definition of which is slaughterhouse
rolleyes.gif
) were we picked up 15 lbs of homemade sausage .... put it in the smoker with some hickory and mixed apple juice with water in the pan .... the area around the garage really smells good right now ... it freezes extremely well

150430 001 smoked sausage 001.jpg
150430 001 smoked sausage 002.jpg

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Smoked Sausage

I got to thinking that with the rainy, cool weather here today, it might be a good day to fire up our smoker .... drover over to the "abattoir" (one can't say slaughterhouse any more so they now use the French word abattoir .... the definition of which is slaughterhouse
rolleyes.gif
) were we picked up 15 lbs of homemade sausage .... put it in the smoker with some hickory and mixed apple juice with water in the pan .... the area around the garage really smells good right now ... it freezes extremely well

View attachment 5507 View attachment 5508

Triple 'like' on that one, Jim. I can almost smell those links!:)

Just curious. Do you just bag them in zip-locks afterwards in meal size portions? Or do you have a vacuum bagger. Really thinking about getting one of those as I buy a 1/2 beef every year [field raised Black Angus], 80lbs of in made into hamburger. Starts getting a little freezer burnt by the time we get to the last of the packages. The vacuum baggers are kind of pricey, but I'd love to get some input from someone that uses one.

This year I might do a 1/4 beef and half hog this year just to change it up a bit.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Triple 'like' on that one, Jim. I can almost smell those links!:)

Just curious. Do you just bag them in zip-locks afterwards in meal size portions? Or do you have a vacuum bagger. Really thinking about getting one of those as I buy a 1/2 beef every year [field raised Black Angus], 80lbs of in made into hamburger. Starts getting a little freezer burnt by the time we get to the last of the packages. The vacuum baggers are kind of pricey, but I'd love to get some input from someone that uses one.

This year I might do a 1/4 beef and half hog this year just to change it up a bit.

because with what we eat and what we give to our kids doesn't usually last very long, we freeze the sausage in meal size portions in zip lock bags .... for meats that are likely to be in the freezer for very long we, my wife vacuum packs them .... she's been using her vacuum packer for over 5 years and really likes it .... out in my wife's home town in South Dakota the meats process by the local butcher are exceptional .... each year we bring back thousands of dollars worth of individually vacuum packed sirloin and ribeye steaks .... the list of folks who send money for them continues to grow .... see below .... we've had them last over a year with no problems

130626 001 sirloin 001.jpg
130626 001 sirloin 002.jpg
130626 001 sirloin 003.jpg

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
because with what we eat and what we give to our kids doesn't usually last very long, we freeze the sausage in meal size portions in zip lock bags .... for meats that are likely to be in the freezer for very long we, my wife vacuum packs them .... she's been using her vacuum packer for over 5 years and really likes it .... out in my wife's home town in South Dakota the meats process by the local butcher are exceptional .... each year we bring back thousands of dollars worth of individually vacuum packed sirloin and ribeye steaks .... the list of folks who send money for them continues to grow .... see below .... we've had them last over a year with no problems

View attachment 5509 View attachment 5510 View attachment 5511

That looks delicious! Guess I need to start pricing vacuum packers. Might come in handy with the veggy garden too. I always end up with ten times as many tomatoes as we can eat before they start going bad, and end up canning them (wife makes a wicked good salsa with them too). Looks like I need to get to bed before I start raiding the fridge!:D

Reactions: DWR

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That looks delicious! Guess I need to start pricing vacuum packers. Might come in handy with the veggy garden too. I always end up with ten times as many tomatoes as we can eat before they start going bad, and end up canning them (wife makes a wicked good salsa with them too). Looks like I need to get to bed before I start raiding the fridge!:D

it seems that canning veggies and such is a dying art .... the sections of canning supplies in our local grocery stores seems to grow smaller every year .... because we spend the summer away from home, we don't have much of a garden any more .... rather when we get back in the fall we go to the State Farmer's Market where we buy in bulk and then can or freeze it ....

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if means I won't live as long, those pictures are an accurate depiction of how I would "feel" without meat/butter in my diet. My Grandmother cooked with pure lard all of her life, and lived to be 96 (OMG, I wish you could have tasted her homemade half moon fried apple pies, and fried chicken). Life is to short my friends. Nothing wrong with trying to stay healthy, but if you have to live on sprouts and hay, whats the point?;)

Top Bottom