• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Full Catalog 3 Wheelers Thread

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This thread has made me realize something I had never understood before: the only thing truely "new" about the Elio, is that it is a three-wheeler which will be mass-produced like other modern production cars. It is the combination of Mass Production + Three Wheeler that is new.
Related to that; I really like that the Elio has "boring" traditional car lines, instead of Xtreme! Kool! lines, or harkening back to turn-of-the-last century Morgans. I love the look of the Morgans, but this thread has made me almost sick of seeing them :p That said, I don't think the Elio's popularity would be hurt if/when kit manufacturers start coming out with alternative body styles for it. I can see a 1930s styling kit as being a pretty obvious development (replace hood, front fenders, mirrors and rear skirt).

Yes, absolutely. The other almost new concept is 'the car pays for itself in gas savings alone'. Which does depend on how far you drive vs the price of fuel vs price of the car. The combination of things for a true optimal commuter have been talked about, prototyped, and even promised by various 'visionaries' but never seriously attempted at an efficient mass production level.

Paul for EM, is one of the few innovators in the world who actually calculated these things together and had the knowledge to confirm the viability. And one of the few with the ability and willingness to carry it off.

An entity like GM may have calculated/demo'd the engineering, but never wanted to discover or document that people would actually buy it in mass. So from my suggestion that people hear only what they want to hear, what did the major makers hear? 1) nobody (not enough) would want one, and 2) the price can not be all that low (sales high enough) and still show profit. Which is all they wanted to hear, and tried to assert was true. Both turn out to be false (if you have the willingness to break the trend).

So for this thread, and in-fact all my own styling research, I wanted to over-turn the expectation that nice acceptable styling ( to the public taste ) could not be implemented in the optimal commuter platform. Elio proved at least one acceptable styling (and package) was doable at a mass level. I typically want to show others are possible as well.

And right as well, "Extreme Kool" is inherently too extreme, but can be used to inspire an acceptable body art. Looking at these images you can assess the failures, but also reverse that to hint at how to succeed.

Agree #3, Way too many Morgans, but it does indicate something that attracts interest. But is this more of a niche interest or of a mass appeal?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Keep 'em comin' Ari, ain't tired yet.
You are welcome. Yep, haven't even exhausted the classics yet, which I'm loosely saying is anything pre-1980. But we maybe getting close. And I will move onward after that.

There are some types, as a category, that for myself I will not post more of (maybe), but feel welcome for anything you find interesting.
Very glad David B is doing so, having the story back ground to go with it, very cool indeed.
My own previous interest was for inspiration to research design and not history. But history is definitely in scope for the purposes of this thread.

One requirement for my own design work, it must represent a 'useable' and realistic engineered vehicle. Not all conceptual automotive 'art work', sticks to that. You often get the unusable windshield, impossible seating, dysfunctional entry path or non-dimensional engine. Illegal headlights are frequent.

Last edited:

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This thread has made me realize something I had never understood before: the only thing truely "new" about the Elio, is that it is a three-wheeler which will be mass-produced like other modern production cars. It is the combination of Mass Production + Three Wheeler that is new.

WOULD YOU CONSIDER 50,000 THREE WHEELERS TO BE MASS PRODUCTION ?
MESSERSCHMITT LAUNCHED QUITE A FEW OF THEIR KR-175 & KR-200 CARS FROM 1953-64

I HAVE OWNED SIX OF THEM .

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0402.JPG

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 9898
View attachment 9899

50,000 is certainly a lot, but I'm not sure if Messerschmitt's 4550-per-year average can compete with Elio's goal of 250,000-per-year. Let alone the average of 750,000-per-year for the Ford Model T (15 Million over a 19-year period).

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 9898
View attachment 9899
Sorry for not being specific. Certainly that was what I call a success, and mass-production for the day.
However, it isn't up to the spec for modern USA freeways that regularly jossle around at 80mph(Phoenix AZ), even though you could tuff that one out in a Messch.
And to get the best of cost reduction, probably more than 20k/yr is required. I don't think it did that.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This one vehicle is mechanically interesting. It kind of repeats the success attributes that the TriHawk presented. i.e. excellent handling. I added (again)a modern racer, apparently trying for the same result in a paved hill climbing version of that race. Called the Tee Bee apparently.

Owen 2-129527350873.jpg
Owen-Greenwood-Mini-Special.jpg
Owen-Greenwood-Mini-Special-Sidecar1.jpg
Owen Deep-End-Page-2.jpg
Owen In-at-the-Deep-End-Page-1.jpg
Cafeh6trike.jpg
TeeBeeRacer3.png
TeeBeeRacer.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom