• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Function & Cost Of Amt Vs Manual: Interesting...

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Given the price of an Elio I hope the Automatic is a traditional style transmission with a torque converted, bands and valves..

Paul Elio has been very clear that a torque convertor automatic is not the type to be made available on the Elio, due to cost and weight issues that conflict with the core values. The AMT(automated manual transmission) will be a servo controlled version of the five speed manual transmission, sans clutch pedal. He has also stated that he is aware of the jerky response on the Smart car, and intends to avoid that behavior.

If this is a deal breaker for you, I hope any deposit you may have made is refundable

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The AMT(automated manual transmission) will be a servo controlled version of the five speed manual transmission, sans clutch pedal. He has also stated that he is aware of the jerky response on the Smart car, and intends to avoid that behavior.

in a conversation with Jerome last December, he noted that EM was well aware of the issues found with the AMT in the Smart Car .... as a result they chose an AMT transmission made by a different company (Aisin) .... he says he expects much better performance

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio has been very clear that a torque convertor automatic is not the type to be made available on the Elio, due to cost and weight issues that conflict with the core values. The AMT(automated manual transmission) will be a servo controlled version of the five speed manual transmission, sans clutch pedal. He has also stated that he is aware of the jerky response on the Smart car, and intends to avoid that behavior.

If this is a deal breaker for you, I hope any deposit you may have made is refundable

For me it's a manual, so the automatic is a none issue. I hope the gamble pays off. If Elio is plagued by recalls due to the transmission it may not survive. I've read the service bulletin for the Ford and it sounds like an expensive fix that can hurt a startup like Elio. Good Luck Elio!

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a cyclist, you may very well be good at "reading the road", but you may not realize part of this read is the feeling not the visual. The perception is totally different in a powered vehicle and the read is often wrong. The vehicle can read better than 99% of people. And it will also read the head/tail wind. In short, I do not agree and neither do the mpg results support your conclusions. Cruise control will out do all but the best driver.

It's not about MPG it's about fun factor for me.

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I noted a item in Automobile magazine yesterday which stated that the new version of the "SMART" car has dropped the AMT and moved to a dual clutch automatic for their automatic tranny cars.

Reactions: HHH

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I noted a item in Automobile magazine yesterday which stated that the new version of the "SMART" car has dropped the AMT and moved to a dual clutch automatic for their automatic tranny cars.
Wait... if it has a clutch, it's a manual transmission, isn't it? Maybe an Automated Manual... If it doesn't have a torque converter, it isn't an automatic.

Top Bottom