• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

If Elio Said They Must Raise Base Price At What Point Would You Pull Out?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This has been at the back of my mind for a while. If due to production costs, extraneous expenses, etc. and say the base price escalated to double the expected base price would I still buy? It would still be a cost effective vehicle albeit would take a little more time to see a 'return' on my investment. And seeing Elios success in producing such a vehicle inspire others to try to create a vehicle at the original price in order under sell the Elio? Hmmmm..just daydreaming..

It really sounds like you are asking "How much could I get away with before an angry mob with farm implements and torches comes after me"?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhH43A_-HbalwGSnoqgaUeSDaQ8iu-kSgeGphmcbODJgTox86_.jpg

Last edited:

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was amazed at how low the price of an Elio was starting at and that was one of the factors that got me to sign up for two! . I have described the Elio to family and friends...front engine, front wheel drive, ABS brakes, air bags, A/C, power door lock and windows, 84 MPG etc. etc. and then asked them to guess how much and so far they all have guessed in the mid teens on up to over $20,000. Then when I tell them $6800 they are amazed.. The cheapest new car I believe that is on the market now is a Nissan Versa for around $12,000+. The base price should not go over $10,000, in my opinion. If they stick to their goal of $6800 it will help their credibility. I also think that EM will make most of their profits on all the add on"s that we all would like to add.
So to answer your question, if the base price goes over $9,999, I will drop out of the second Elio I have on order. If the base price goes over $12,000 I will probably drop out completely even though I would like to own a unique automotive history vehicle such as the Elio.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I would have to tap out at $16,000; I too planed on spending at least $10,000 to $12,000 to get the one I want.

But at $16,000 they would have to start including some of the items they have as add-ons, like the Auto Trans and that tablet dash board they have.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't do 13,600$ so i would have to reevaluate my position. I would be ok with a slight price increase I don't expect it to come exactly at 6800$ but somewhat close

Juney

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm with most of you. I'd go $12.5 and talk my wife into her own after I show her the practicality of ownership. We'd keep her Prius Hybrid as a family vehicle and I'd sell my Ford F-150. (I'm not hauling another darn thing for another family member) When she see's that there is a heater/A.C. and cd player and I can install a gps with rear view camera, she can stop riding ME!! Over $15.g's tho and we may be stuck with the one.

Juney

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Currently, there is no other HOV allowed, covered, climate controlled, high mileage vehicle on the market. (That I am aware of). So it really has no competition. So as far as a tipping point on the price? Tough to say. If it gets too expensive or if it is really popular, I would think other companies would enter the market, thus bringing competition and perhaps a lowered price.
What's going to be tough for me is if (when) we do get these vehicles, if in a year one of the biggies (Toyota?) comes out with their version and it's better. Now we're stuck with an inferior product; albeit a cool, pioneering, original, but I'm in it for the practicality not the coolness factor.
Even if say Toyota came out with a better and cheaper product, I would still be tempted to keep the Elio if it was mechanically sound as it was not only hoped for, dreamed on and seen thru it's birthing pain by me, but also because it was first. Imagine owning one of the first production line Fords or Daimler Benz!

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if say Toyota came out with a better and cheaper product, I would still be tempted to keep the Elio if it was mechanically sound as it was not only hoped for, dreamed on and seen thru it's birthing pain by me, but also because it was first. Imagine owning one of the first production line Fords or Daimler Benz!
Or Yugo...[emoji15]

Top Bottom