• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You don't need to own a smartphone to make this work. For the sky system the ipad mini needs to have the "phone" built in. The free dial up web service day are pretty much gone. Some phones allow you to create a hotspot. Bottom line to be connected will cost you. For many of us that will not be worth the cost. For others it will be a must have. I don't have cable TV, never have. I do have an internet connection and cant imagine being without it anymore.

we have standard cell phone service and my wife does have text service on hers .... would the system work if the Ipad is connected with that level of service

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
we have standard cell phone service and my wife does have text service on hers .... would the system work if the Ipad is connected with that level of service
If you have a current data plan and an i-Pad or i-Pad Mini+ Wi-Fi 4G you 'should' be good to go providing you are in the coverage area.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score

If you look at the ipad link it will take you to a page that show the service providers the mini supports. You need to choose one of them. If you have a phone with one of them you can add the device and a data plan. 3G and 4G stand for third and fourth generation cell technology. The data goes through the ipad. You can link your phone to this with WI FI now. The ipad becomes the wi fi hotspot. Any device that you can link to the hotspot will allow you to to connect to the net. Your backseater could watch a movie, stream music or surf the web. And all the other vehicle specific things thy talk about. The sky system is a step beyond what is offered now by the other automakers. The key is the ipad with cell capability and a data subscription that works with that device. My phone is from TracFone they resell bandwidth they buy from the big boyz. I don't know if they can power an unlocked ipad or not.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless it's the only way to get cruise control, I'm skipping it.
As far as the Elgin dash, yes it's ugly, but that's no different than my feelings for the over all car that I'm buying. As long as it works as advertised, I'm okay with it.

Also Paul has said time and time again, if you want an option, you buy that option. You don't buy something like a sunroof and leather seats just to get cruise control.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also Paul has said time and time again, if you want an option, you buy that option. You don't buy something like a sunroof and leather seats just to get cruise control.
I meant was that I would only get it if cruise control was built into its controls. If that was the case, it wouldn't make sense to offer two paths to cruise control and Infinite Skyz would be the only way to get cruise control. That is the only reason I would buy it.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry I guess I just don't get the Skyz concept or need?

Please sell me on the value as I do like gadgets but this one to me is hard to justify at close to Half the original cars cost. What did I miss (excluding the Elgin dash which is still there) that makes this a must have and worth the cost and effort?

when it was first announced, I was right there with you in not seeing the need .... once they started talking about the various other features I started to get a bit more interested .... ongoing research is rapidly bringing me back to my original thoughts .... several of the features are nice but I've never owned a vehicle with them so its a bit tough to miss what I've never had .... as you note, the biggest positive remains being able to cover up the Elgin but even that is growing smaller .... it appears that it can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of the Skyz system

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looking at what it Could do it seems like a simple Garmin would do most of these things?

My current Garmin (which I can transfer to all my vehicles) even gives me live traffic updates and live camera feed of the traffic ahead.

agree and I already have a year old, paid for, top of the line Garmin with multiple vehicle mounts and free lifetime updates

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been doing a little research with my present car and its Tom-Tom nav system and my newly-updated W-phone. Just how practical are all of the telematics? I've had fifteen years' experience with laptop-based navigation systems, very high-end factory-installed systems (that at the time required top-of-the-line audio systems and DVD players), and a couple of stand-alone pocket navigators and smartphones. At this point I wouldn't be without my electronic sat-navigator. In a pinch, it can get you to your destination - but with one BIG caveat: It's stupid and it has NO local knowledge. Often I'm better off on my own . . . still it's a good back-up for your own experience.

How in the real world do you integrate all of the electronic capability available to day into your personal driving needs? First, I often play music, talk, etc via Pandora or I <3 Radio. I can either use the old Tom-Tom (or upgrade to a newer GPS with lifetime traffic and maps for less than a couple of map updates on Tom) or use the far superior GPS (Drive+) on my Nokia W-phone. It takes a little juggling to set up both apps to run simultaneously on one device, but it's doable. The W-phone is still a smartphone, so I can send and receive call, dictate, send and receive texts by voice command, without having to take my eyes off the road to poke at the screen. It works fine, but it's still a little fiddly.

I find I use the phone primarily for the entertainment radio features - but if I get an incoming call it breaks through the radio program to announce the call and give me the option of responding or sending it to voice mail. Texts are similar. I can always ignore them - or have them read to me - and I can dictate a reply, if needed. In the real world, this hardly ever happens. I'm driving - my wife and family know where I am - so in reality they have no real reason to call me. It's safer to send me a text I can ignore and respond to when I reach my destination. The GPS is fine for what pilots call "flight following", or having the GPS run in the background to be called up if you run into heavy traffic or get lost in an unfamiliar neighborhood - those situations when you need a re-route.

The real-world applications of your telematics - once the novelty wears off isn't much more than you get with your present smartphone. Give it a try - I think you'll find the real-world application for this technology to be fun - but probably not as useful as you might think. Remember your primary job as a driver is to maintain situational awareness of where you are going and what is happening around you - not poking at a touchscreen for miles on end as you try to conduct a normal day at the office from your car. That's why you need a backseater . . . Here, Goose, handle this . . . :cool:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe you are correct which is why if I do opt for an optional EM installed stereo upgrade I would not opt for the Skyz setup but instead for the stereo which used to be installed in the P4. Then again I may just choose to self install a Bluetooth enabled stereo of my choosing. :cool:

The Continental AutoLinQ™Mobile infotainment system:

http://www.conti-online.com/www/aut...erior/connectivity/pi_autolinq_en.html?page=3

imG_visual_autolinqmobile_460x280-onlineData.jpg

AutoLinQ™Mobile – an easy way to handle connectivity for everyone

The infotainment solution AutoLinQ™Mobile links smartphones and vehicles in order to make these useable in a safer manner while driving. Even on the road, drivers and passengers will have cost-optimized and safe access to in-car services and to several infotainment and communication channels.

For that purpose the smartphone is generally fixed in a cradle of the AutoLinQ Mobile hardware and connected via Bluetooth®. The AutoLinQ™Mobile smartphone app includes the functions drivers require most often while driving. Smartphone applications like music functionalities and of course phone calls – are integrated into the vehicle in a safe way. In the vehicle the AutoLinQ™Mobile hardware is mounted in the standard 1DIN slot.

Flexible for every target group.

Mechanical. Electronical. Digital. Due to the flexible possibilities of installation and to the various connectivity options of the solution, car manufacturers have a system at hand that offers additional value to a large number of potential customers. Now, smartphones, can be employed inside of a vehicle.

Highlights:

• 1 DIN format, mechanical fixation to the vehicle
  • Integrated mechanical clamping system
  • App with unified automotive content,
    e. g. facebook, mail for Android and iOS.
  • FM tuner, station search
  • Audio input via Bluetooth®
  • Bluetooth® profiles: HFP, A2DP, SPP
  • EC/NR Echo Cancellation / Noise Reduction
  • USB connectivity for playing audio files
  • Audio power (4 x 20 W)
  • Charging of smartphone via USB
  • CAN interface prepared
  • On/off functionality

Top Bottom