• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I've Actually Sat In The Elio And Here Is One Thing I Would Change!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they moved the cup holder back, you'd keep hitting it with your elbow! Maybe a smaller, Mazda Miata type of shifter would be better... It doesn't need to be so tall. Then it wouldn't be so awkward getting to your drink.

I agree with the sound. I hope it doesn't drone on at highway speeds.
All kinds of resonances set up, esp. in small, lightweight vehicles.My motorcycle, for instance, sets up a buzz at about 58 mph, fairly narrow band, and then it's gone. I think it's related to the CV automatic tranny, but whatever it is, it comes with the territory. I'd rather have low, thrumming noises than rattly or high-frequency buzz noises, but I'd rather have no harmonic vibrations at all!

There are lots of things involved, but exhaust tuning is one of the biggies. I'm concerned that the side exit on the exhaust will set up a medium low whistle, like blowing across a coke bottle -- and if you go too fast, it will jump an octave! (Try overblowing a flute, or your coke bottle for that matter). It's the sort of noise that cannot be detected except by road testing.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All kinds of resonances set up, esp. in small, lightweight vehicles.My motorcycle, for instance, sets up a buzz at about 58 mph, fairly narrow band, and then it's gone. I think it's related to the CV automatic tranny, but whatever it is, it comes with the territory. I'd rather have low, thrumming noises than rattly or high-frequency buzz noises, but I'd rather have no harmonic vibrations at all!

There are lots of things involved, but exhaust tuning is one of the biggies. I'm concerned that the side exit on the exhaust will set up a medium low whistle, like blowing across a coke bottle -- and if you go too fast, it will jump an octave! (Try overblowing a flute, or your coke bottle for that matter). It's the sort of noise that cannot be detected except by road testing.
The exhaust coming out should cancel any effect like that. They SHOULD catch sounds if they wind-tunnel test the car... I'm not sure that's in the game plan but I agree with you. You never know till you test. My truck almost hops down one section of I-40 near work but doesn't do it anywhere else. If I'm going a bit over 75 though, it goes away. Highway is concrete there and the expansion joints must be just the right distance apart for my truck. My wife's car doesn't do it, for instance.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. . . There are lots of things involved, but exhaust tuning is one of the biggies. I'm concerned that the side exit on the exhaust will set up a medium low whistle, like blowing across a coke bottle -- and if you go too fast, it will jump an octave! (Try overblowing a flute, or your coke bottle for that matter). It's the sort of noise that cannot be detected except by road testing.
At one time in my halcyon days as a sports car enthusiast, the trick was to cut your side pipes 17° to the rear, perpendicular to the air stream. The story at the time was that this magic number would provide maximum extraction. Did it work? :noidea: A lot of people spent a Saturday or two at the bench vise with a protractor and hacksaw in the hope that it did. :thumb:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1 - Make the fixed pedal/footrest on the left side adjustable.
2 - Tilt wheel (that will be standard in real model)
3 - Storage tray under driver seat
4 - Optional gun site
5 - Mood lighting for interior (the current Camaro's have it) so do a lot of other cars, it's LED strips in the side trim.
6 - Speakers in the headrest of the seats
7 - Gauge pods down the A-pillar
8 - Grab handles to help with entry / exit
9 - Marker lights / turn signals on backs of front fenders
10 - Cup holder on right side "door" area

All good ideas. and I bet we see them all offered thru the aftermarket.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I even said as much in my original post here. But, after sitting in the Elio, it was the only thing I would probably be irritated by... Oh, I think the seatbelt was over the left shoulder which would just get in the way everyday I got my backpack out of the back seat.

I believe they already said the seat belt would be over the right shoulder.

Top Bottom