• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I've Actually Sat In The Elio And Here Is One Thing I Would Change!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Meanwhile back to the list:
Do away with the steering wheel; put in steer by wire, and put a side stick in to control steering. Gearshift would be pushbutton like a lot of the new cars are doing.
Or they could just use the current system that Chrysler uses. Then you could hack the system and drive from you laptop! :cool: :p

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they moved the cup holder back, you'd keep hitting it with your elbow! Maybe a smaller, Mazda Miata type of shifter would be better... It doesn't need to be so tall. Then it wouldn't be so awkward getting to your drink.

I agree with the sound. I hope it doesn't drone on at highway speeds.

How would the shorter shifter work out with the manual transmission and keep in mind, that's the Geo.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How would the shorter shifter work out with the manual transmission and keep in mind, that's the Geo.
The Mazda Miata had a really short throw manual shifter. It was such a good thing. Snick, Snick, Snick through the gears. The thing couldn't be much taller than your fist. Well, just a little but the point is that it was pretty short. It doesn't take much force to engage a clutch that's backing up so few horses.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is not supposed to be a "what if" thread. I thought we'd just simply list something we were actually unhappy about after sitting in the Elio rather than getting off on tangents. Sure, it'd be nice if it had 200hp, 0-60 in 3 seconds... but what I was curious about was what real thing that you could tell from just sitting in it did you NOT like or something that it really should have in order for you to be happy with it.

Foldable wings? sure... whatever. That's not the intent. I'm looking more for:
"I didn't like the seatbelt over my left shoulder" Yes, I know they've said they are GOING to change it but it is still one thing I didn't like.
"I think it should sit up higher. I thought it was too low"
"I didn't like the hood pins." (actually, I don't. I thought it'd interrupt the air flow.)
"The door sill should be lower"

Those sort of things. "Stay on target"

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
one thing I would change would be to add a rear door on one side or the other .... having one would make it much easier to get in and out of the back seat and the driver wouldn't have to get out so as to let someone into or out of the back seat

a second thing would be to eliminate the Elgin

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is not supposed to be a "what if" thread. I thought we'd just simply list something we were actually unhappy about after sitting in the Elio rather than getting off on tangents. Sure, it'd be nice if it had 200hp, 0-60 in 3 seconds... but what I was curious about was what real thing that you could tell from just sitting in it did you NOT like or something that it really should have in order for you to be happy with it.

Foldable wings? sure... whatever. That's not the intent. I'm looking more for:
"I didn't like the seatbelt over my left shoulder" Yes, I know they've said they are GOING to change it but it is still one thing I didn't like.
"I think it should sit up higher. I thought it was too low"
"I didn't like the hood pins." (actually, I don't. I thought it'd interrupt the air flow.)
"The door sill should be lower"

Those sort of things. "Stay on target"

I should have been more clear. Your post implied the shift should be shorter for easy access to your coffee on the way to work. My thought was that might not work for a manual shift depending the height of the seat. Just a thought.

AJ Maxey

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally I would like a swing down arm rest on the right side so when cruising, I don't have to rest my arm on the emergency brake.

I agree on copious amounts of storage space. I like storage cubbies.

Most of these sound like options to me. If the question is what should be changed in the base model, I'd list a few.

3. Include extra 12 v outlets, at least two in front and one in the trunk / rear seat area.

Well they DO have one in the back area just behind and below the right side of the driver's seat. Go to 5:45 in the video link and you'll see it.

Top Bottom