• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't the fact the Elio has a motorcycle vin negate that problem? Autocycle is simply a differentiation between enclosed and non-enclosed 3 wheel motorcycles. Federally, Elio is a motorcycle because it only has 3 wheels hence the mc vin. In the research I have been doing of each states laws Connecticut is the only one where there may be a major problem. Connecticut does not allow the Elio to be registered as a motorcycle.

Yes but in most states, a mc license is required to operate a motorcycle. I don't see why I need to do motorcycle licensing and training to drive the Elio when it handles like any other car

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes but in most states, a mc license is required to operate a motorcycle. I don't see why I need to do motorcycle licensing and training to drive the Elio when it handles like any other car
And that is exactly why Elio has hired a person who specializes and spends all his time talking to state governments encouraging them to change their laws. They cannot change the vin designation because 3 wheel vehicles are specified by federal law as a motorcycle. But they can choose to designate an enclosed 3 wheel motorcycle as an autocycle and choose to not require an endorsement or helmet. So far I have found 4 states that definitely do not required a motorcycle endorsement. Three of them are straight forward, Oregon, Washington, and Louisiana very simply do not require helmets or endorsements (LA changed their law for obvious reasons). Maine, on the other hand, does not require an endorsement but Elio type vehicles are restricted to roads posted 45 mph or less.

You might consider writing your state DMV and asking them to accept the autocycle designation as recommended in the AAMVA (I hope those are the right letters) Best Practices (posted on this forum). There are letters provided by a couple of people on this forum and I believe there is also documentation provided by Elio to assist in this endeavor. The more proactive we are as potential Elio owners, the better. It shows that Elio is not just blowing hot air; they actually have over 14,000 people already interested in Elio and it isn't even built yet. :-) Z

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Massachusetts I can ride a 50cc automatic scooter with my drivers license but at present not the Elio. Makes no sense to me. Excluding non motorcycle license holders from operating an Elio will kill the mass market. Too few have an endorsement.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the laws will be changed in time for production as well. However, I got my MC endorsment here is Texas a couple years ago. It was easy, just a weekend of classroom and course work and the company supplied the very small, easy to opporate Cycles. Everyone passed and all but one had never been on a bike before.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I
I believe the laws will be changed in time for production as well. However, I got my MC endorsment here is Texas a couple years ago. It was easy, just a weekend of classroom and course work and the company supplied the very small, easy to opporate Cycles. Everyone passed and all but one had never been on a bike before.
I have my endorsement as well and have been riding since I was a teen. Currently own a Silver V-Star 650 with ostrich quill seats and windshield, and it has been totally debadged. Rode it back from San Diego. Great little ride, as it is low , but a bit heavy at 550#! Even have gotten a couple of thumbs-up from Harley riders in passing.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The motorcycle endorsement issue would not affect me at all, I have a motorcycle and motorcycle endorsement, however I can see where it would be an issue for Elio Motors as they try and sell this vehicle to the masses who do not have the endorsement. The helmet and motorcycle endorsement issues are exactly why EM hired Joel Sheltrown as their VP of Government Affairs and why he worked with the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators to get them to recommend to all states they recognize autocycle's as a type of vehicle that is registered and tagged as a motorcycle however should not require a motorcycle endorsement, and helmet, to operate.
Between the AAMVA recommendation and Joel's work I believe by the time Elio enters production the majority of states will not require a helmet or a motorcycle endorsement. Elio is already very close with helmet laws and I am sure they will be working very hard over the next year on the endorsement issue also.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You might consider writing your state DMV and asking them to accept the autocycle designation as recommended in the AAMVA (I hope those are the right letters) Best Practices (posted on this forum). There are letters provided by a couple of people on this forum and I believe there is also documentation provided by Elio to assist in this endeavor. The more proactive we are as potential Elio owners, the better. It shows that Elio is not just blowing hot air; they actually have over 14,000 people already interested in Elio and it isn't even built yet. :) Z

I sent the MD DMV an email several days ago. Will post when I receive a reply.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The motorcycle endorsement issue would not affect me at all, I have a motorcycle and motorcycle endorsement, however I can see where it would be an issue for Elio Motors as they try and sell this vehicle to the masses who do not have the endorsement. The helmet and motorcycle endorsement issues are exactly why EM hired Joel Sheltrown as their VP of Government Affairs and why he worked with the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators to get them to recommend to all states they recognize autocycle's as a type of vehicle that is registered and tagged as a motorcycle however should not require a motorcycle endorsement, and helmet, to operate.
Between the AAMVA recommendation and Joel's work I believe by the time Elio enters production the majority of states will not require a helmet or a motorcycle endorsement. Elio is already very close with helmet laws and I am sure they will be working very hard over the next year on the endorsement issue also.

Yep, plenty of time for changes to legislation and/or classification. Maybe some here should be grateful for the delays instead of .... well ... you know.

Top Bottom