• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, we hope the federal government works slow... They COULD classify the ELIO as a car from the get-go and squash any hope of it being produced anywhere near the pricepoint or timeline we are hoping for. Imagine if the Elio had to jump through all the regulatory hoops that cars have to. They could make some regulatory mistake with the Elio and as you know, some mistakes can take up to 8 years to get rid of.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As someone all ready posted, I think there may be a problem for the people who have this as there only mode of transportation. How can you get a drivers license for a car, when you only own a motorcycle?

I think most people will already have a car DL when they buy it and get a mc endorsement, not just get a mc license.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Just found this online. Looks like the AAMVA is trying to create an autocycle class
http://www.aamva.org/Search.aspx?searchtext=trike

Yes, Elio has been working with this organization for a while now and it is the AAMVA's official position that the Elio, and other similar vehicles, should be registered as motorcycle, use a motorcycle plate, however should not require a motorcycle endorsement to operate. Elio Motors is using this recommendation to convince state governments that a motorcycle endorsement, and a helmet, should not be required.

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio MUST have a new Federal AUTOCYCLE classification. The problem is govt. It is not going to happen before production, if ever, because of that very problem.....govt.
So there is going to be issues in every state when people try to register the vehicle. It is not a car and it is not a motorcycle; it has no classification, because it is neither.

A DOT Data Plate means a vehicle is street legal. In GA I had to fill out another Tag Office form, have an officer come to my home to verify the DOT data plate VIN etc, before
I could register a 232cc dual sport bike that they thought was too small to be street legal. It took me several hours to get it registered and a few choice words to DMV for the hassle they gave me. I can't imagine the DMV reaction is going to be w/Elio.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Borrowed from another forum:

"The AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicles Administration), the authority on best policy for all state DMV's and Licensing Bureaus, is recommending the Elio be driven with a standard driver's license."

"The AAMVA also recommends a motorcycle plate be used on the back of the Elio, instead of the larger automobile plate, since the Elio will be registered as a motorcycle or an Autocycle. Utilizing the motorcycle plate will help drivers avoid problems with HOV lane enforcement and tolls, which have different requirements for motorcycles."

This could be good news for Elio and its' potential customers..

Ray
We can only hope. Thanks for putting this info up here. It is stuff like this that keeps.me here on the site. Well, that and the funny guys!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Borrowed from another forum:

"The AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicles Administration), the authority on best policy for all state DMV's and Licensing Bureaus, is recommending the Elio be driven with a standard driver's license."

"The AAMVA also recommends a motorcycle plate be used on the back of the Elio, instead of the larger automobile plate, since the Elio will be registered as a motorcycle or an Autocycle. Utilizing the motorcycle plate will help drivers avoid problems with HOV lane enforcement and tolls, which have different requirements for motorcycles."

This could be good news for Elio and its' potential customers..

Ray
The committee that wrote these policies was chaired by a woman from Oregon. Other states represented on the committee were PA, MS, AL, HI, TN, VA, IA, MO. I hope every one of these states followed their own suggestions like Oregon did. Someone posted the US map showing state helmet requirements. I don't think we have any complete information on endorsements. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio MUST have a new Federal AUTOCYCLE classification. The problem is govt. It is not going to happen before production, if ever, because of that very problem.....govt.
So there is going to be issues in every state when people try to register the vehicle. It is not a car and it is not a motorcycle; it has no classification, because it is neither.

A DOT Data Plate means a vehicle is street legal. In GA I had to fill out another Tag Office form, have an officer come to my home to verify the DOT data plate VIN etc, before
I could register a 232cc dual sport bike that they thought was too small to be street legal. It took me several hours to get it registered and a few choice words to DMV for the hassle they gave me. I can't imagine the DMV reaction is going to be w/Elio.
Doesn't the fact the Elio has a motorcycle vin negate that problem? Autocycle is simply a differentiation between enclosed and non-enclosed 3 wheel motorcycles. Federally, Elio is a motorcycle because it only has 3 wheels hence the mc vin. In the research I have been doing of each states laws Connecticut is the only one where there may be a major problem. Connecticut does not allow the Elio to be registered as a motorcycle.

Top Bottom