• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legal: Motorcycle License And Helmet Laws

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Aside from California, most car safety and emissions requirements are set by the Feds. Elio is only trying to get State governments to recognize it as a new class of motorcycle so that it doesn't require a helmet or motorcycle license to drive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, changing the federal level laws to a car would create a whole other level of issues and red tape that these vehicles do not need. A federal autocycle designation might be a good thing but it's hard to say so for now I don't mind the Elio being a motorcycle at the federal level and for states to recognize the autocycle as a way around helmet and motorcycle endorsement laws.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Right now if you live in Massachusetts you need a motorcycle endorsement to drive an Elio. We also have California emissions standards here.

Velnias

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It should not be classified as a motorcycle yet we NEED it to be. Elko needs to come in under the radar as a motorcycle so it can be brought to market without first having to jump through regulatory hoops that new cars do. Let the Elko come to market and THEN let it get reclassified after initial production is going smoothly. Let's not delay the introduction by a couple years by being classified as a car just yet. That's like my 2 1/2 cents worth right there.

Considering that they are already focusing on meeting those regulations (5-star, EPA, etc) for that of a car, there's no need to worry on that. Also, I didn't say it needed to be classified as a car. It needs it's own classification with it's own standards, not those meant for a different type of vehicle. Having it as a motorcycle, yet not being anything similar to one, has just as many problems as having it more closely linked to a car. The difference being that, with the motorcycle classification, it's the consumer that will have to deal with those issues instead of the manufacturer.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Right now if you live in Massachusetts you need a motorcycle endorsement to drive an Elio. We also have California emissions standards here.
Where did you hear this? I read that helmets and motorcycle endorsement not needed..

Ray

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Where did you hear this? I read that helmets and motorcycle endorsement not needed..

Ray

Motorcycle endorsements are an area where Elio Motors is not doing a good job telling us which states are in and which are out. We have a nice map showing us the helmet law states however we do not have the equivalent for motorcycle endorsements.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A motorcycle endorsement would be extremely detrimental to Elio! I do have the endorsement however I would not have gone for it to drive the Elio and feel many others will not either.. I seriously doubt the RMV would even allow you to drive an Elio to take the test.. The laws need to change in regards to autocycles to abolish both helmet and motorcycle licensing requirements or this will kill the Elio! :(

Ray

AltoidBox

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I saw a post in the Elio Owners Facebook group yesterday where someone was talking just this. The guy from Elio who is working the legislative angle posted a few replies and basically said that they're working on it. I think getting the AAMVA to recommend the autocycle designation and helmet/endorsement exemptions was a big win for them.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw a post in the Elio Owners Facebook group yesterday where someone was talking just this. The guy from Elio who is working the legislative angle posted a few replies and basically said that they're working on it. I think getting the AAMVA to recommend the autocycle designation and helmet/endorsement exemptions was a big win for them.

Yes Altoid I fully agree this is essential if Elio is going to be reality! Autocycle makes perfect sense which would allow normal auto license and no helmet.. By the same token a motorcycle license alone would not be enough to drive the Elio more than likely.. The Elio is really more of a car than it is a motorcycle..

Ray

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Borrowed from another forum:

"The AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicles Administration), the authority on best policy for all state DMV's and Licensing Bureaus, is recommending the Elio be driven with a standard driver's license."

"The AAMVA also recommends a motorcycle plate be used on the back of the Elio, instead of the larger automobile plate, since the Elio will be registered as a motorcycle or an Autocycle. Utilizing the motorcycle plate will help drivers avoid problems with HOV lane enforcement and tolls, which have different requirements for motorcycles."

This could be good news for Elio and its' potential customers..

Ray

Top Bottom