• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lit Motors C-1

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The gyros spin continuously to maintain the C-1 in an upright position even if broadsided by another vehicle......at least in animation video. Computers will control the speed of the gyros during driver maneuvers using drive by wire steering. We hope that is proven when the new prototype build is completed and track tested. The C-1 will drive like a car........the E-Tracer requires a 3-4 day class. The Tracers are a favorite of mine......wish they were affordable.

As I really do not know much other than the basics about the C-1 project I did not know they were attempting to have the C-1 do its balancing trick in all circumstances. I think their goal is achievable even if it is a high bar however I can see where it will take some work. I understand it can be handled by programming the on board computer on the C-1 to react to driver input and use the gyros to assist with maneuvers however I hope they have the money to complete the level of programming and testing it takes to get something like that functioning in the real world. The faster the vehicle moves the faster the systems will have to respond to input and direct the various control systems accordingly. This level of high speed, computer assisted, multi axis, multi control system, vehicle maneuvering is something that until now has mostly been limited to systems in the likes of jet fighter aircraft.

I also really like the tracers and believe that something similar could be mass produced more inexpensively if there was a mass market for it but as I doubt that is the case it will unfortunately likely continue to be an expensive novelty. :(

Tomg3rd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I really do not know much other than the basics about the C-1 project I did not know they were attempting to have the C-1 do its balancing trick in all circumstances. I think their goal is achievable even if it is a high bar however I can see where it will take some work. I understand it can be handled by programming the on board computer on the C-1 to react to driver input and use the gyros to assist with maneuvers however I hope they have the money to complete the level of programming and testing it takes to get something like that functioning in the real world. The faster the vehicle moves the faster the systems will have to respond to input and direct the various control systems accordingly. This level of high speed, computer assisted, multi axis, multi control system, vehicle maneuvering is something that until now has mostly been limited to systems in the likes of jet fighter aircraft.

I also really like the tracers and believe that something similar could be mass produced more inexpensively if there was a mass market for it but as I doubt that is the case it will unfortunately likely continue to be an expensive novelty. :(
Yes I like the Tracer too.. $80K or higher base price is a little out of my reach. I should have married for money!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Lit's C-1 attracted the attention of 2 billionaire investors that came on board a couple months ago, so funding doesn't seem to be the hurdle it is for most other startups. Also, a couple well known millionaires provided the last round of funding needed for the prototype build.

Also, I noticed on the Peraves site some discussion of a single seater mini-Tracer concept which could be more affordable to the commuter masses of the future. But Elio and the C-1 is all good for now.
image.jpg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Lit C-1 Prototype is finally driving. Photo of the testing with a GO-pro Camera mounted to record soon to be released video...........and training wheels mounted so they can push the limits of the Gyros without fear of laying it on it's side. Some good progress for C-1 enthusiasts. Much, much slower than Elio's progress. Go Faster Lit! and Go Elio!.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if affordable...the Tracers have a much too difficult a learning curve for the average driver to demand mass production. The C-1 drives like a car...........with no MC driving skills required whatsoever.........unlike the Tracer. I hope both the his and hers Elio & C-1 autocycles are parked in my garage soon.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but from my experince as a motorcyclist, the transition speed from direct-steer to countersteer happens around 4-6 mph. If the Lit C-1's gyroscopes are sufficiently gimballed to give enough degrees of freedom, they can simply align to a "cancel each other out" position at high speeds, then the body's stability is exactly the same as a motorcyle. At speed, a motorcycle derives its stability from the wheel's torque vectors which precess around the axle centerline. It's pure physics. A motorcycle becomes more stable the faster it is ridden.

On the other hand, if Lit tries to engineer a gyroscopic stabilization platform that will keep the Lit C-1 upright with side impacts at high speed, they will struggle indeed unless they can find really fast-acting gimble synchrons which are insanely expensive....and they'd need to also engineer a differntial equation computer (special analog-only computer) also crazy expensive. Digital would suck for this application, in my opinion because of its sensitivity to certain types of noise.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but from my experince as a motorcyclist, the transition speed from direct-steer to countersteer happens around 4-6 mph. If the Lit C-1's gyroscopes are sufficiently gimballed to give enough degrees of freedom, they can simply align to a "cancel each other out" position at high speeds, then the body's stability is exactly the same as a motorcyle. At speed, a motorcycle derives its stability from the wheel's torque vectors which precess around the axle centerline. It's pure physics. A motorcycle becomes more stable the faster it is ridden.

On the other hand, if Lit tries to engineer a gyroscopic stabilization platform that will keep the Lit C-1 upright with side impacts at high speed, they will struggle indeed unless they can find really fast-acting gimble synchrons which are insanely expensive....and they'd need to also engineer a differntial equation computer (special analog-only computer) also crazy expensive. Digital would suck for this application, in my opinion because of its sensitivity to certain types of noise.
The gimbaled gyroscopes will run constantly and controlled by drive by wire steering to adapt to driver actions and reactions as well as road and weather conditions. No simple task, but they have a team of staff and advisors with credentials and billionaire backers that may just pull it off. Check out their website for details if interested. www.litmotors.com
I have a reservation deposit riding on it, but never thought it would happen. However, the concept is too cool to miss out on in case it does. Lit Motors is much less open with information than Elio Motors.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The gimbaled gyroscopes will run constantly and controlled by drive by wire steering to adapt to driver actions and reactions as well as road and weather conditions. No simple task, but they have a team of staff and advisors with credentials and billionaire backers that may just pull it off. Check out their website for details if interested. www.litmotors.com
I have a reservation deposit riding on it, but never thought it would happen. However, the concept is too cool to miss out on in case it does. Lit Motors is much less open with information than Elio Motors.

I think Lit is more probable at this point. The design team hasn't made any promises yet, and they're well funded and highly capable. We shall see if/when either crosses the finish line.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

I enjoyed reading this because if you read over the last two pages you will see where I pretty much pointed out the same things you did. Glad to see others thinking along the same lines. :D:)

Top Bottom