• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Luggage Trailer

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, I brought up the issue of a luggage trailer with Jerome at Woodfield Mall. He said that they knew it was going to be done, but they had to take the "no trailer" stance legally. He also said that the motorcycle manufacturers did this as well (I don't know personally on that.) as a lot of small car manufacturers.

Don Rayment

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not an artist, automotive engineer, aerodynamicist, or anything else that would in any way qualify me to know anything about how this sort of thing would be built, perform, cost or integrate with the Elio. :) Just thought I'd goof around with the idea see what happens.

This idea has been bouncing around my head for while so I finally got a large-ish picture printed out and did some scribbling. A luggage trailer styled like the Elio, shaped so it complements the aerodynamics of the Elio and could hold say 3 carry-on sized pieces of luggage. The idea here is if my wife and I wanted to do a road trip anywhere we'd need to bring 2 or 3 bags along with us. No chance of that inside the Elio itself.

After looking at my scribbling it would probably need a bigger gap between the rear of the car and the leading edge of the trailer. I would think that keeping that space to a minimum would help with air flow.

The axel might need to be centered better on the trailer (front to back) so the bulk of the cargo weight could be carried by the trailer much more than the hitch and the Elio's rear suspension.

I used the Elio's rear tire to roughly sketch that, maybe that tire could be much smaller to save interior space in the trailer.

I've seen plenty of motorcycles hauling a small luggage trailer but it would be really nice if Elio would give this project to their engineers after production is in full swing so we get something that is styled and manufactured to be nicely integrated with the Elio.

View attachment 9274
I suppose anything you add is going to compromise the performance as per drive specs. On the other hand, a person should realize that some trade-offs are going to be made depending on what purpose they are serving. A trailer is going to use more gas. That could make more sense with this vehicle even if mileage drops to 60 mph towing the trailer. I would think that a person could upgrade the suspension after-market. It takes pretty standard parts and people do it all the time with their cars.

Don Rayment

Elio Fan
Reaction score
For sure. But if they do some testing and determine a reasonable tow limit it seems a small trailer to enable two person road trips should be well within reason.
That's what I was getting at earlier. In fact, I had a small teardrop camper in mind. The image that comes to mind give the vehicle/trailer an insect like appearance with the trailer being the belly. Anybody care to draw something like that?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's what I was getting at earlier. In fact, I had a small teardrop camper in mind. The image that comes to mind give the vehicle/trailer an insect like appearance with the trailer being the belly. Anybody care to draw something like that?

I did a drawing; I'll uploaded a little later today. However, I think the 5-wheel layout of such a configuration would operate fundementally differently than a 6-legged insect. Upon studying the drawing, I came to the conclusion that the rear wheel would be taking on a lot of weight. I don't think I'd want to tow anything larger than a coffin behind an Elio.

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did a drawing; I'll uploaded a little later today. However, I think the 5-wheel layout of such a configuration would operate fundementally differently than a 6-legged insect. Upon studying the drawing, I came to the conclusion that the rear wheel would be taking on a lot of weight. I don't think I'd want to tow anything larger than a coffin behind an Elio.
Had to use a coffin as an example huh :rolleyes:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had to use a coffin as an example huh :rolleyes:

I couldn't think of anything else approximately the size of what I'd tow.
Ideally it wouldn't be much wider than the Elio itself, shouldn't weigh too much so should have a low overall volume, and maintain a low CoG so it should be long instead of tall. Narrow, long, low, and of small but usable volume. :)

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A "ton" of torque is relative...even the mighty 110 Sceamin Eagle only makes about 85 ft lbs at the rear wheel...my Triumph Rocket 3 makes 159 ft lbs at the rear...THAT'S a "ton of torque...

Agreed, there are many bikes that make more HP and torque than Harley air cooled motors with similar displacements. The only reason I ride one is an homage to my dad (and I do not force that homage onto others, weird). If I wanted fast or stump-pulling torque, I would ride something else. Or if I lived near twisties like I did in SoCal :)

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
www.usatrailerstore.com

Here are more motorcycle trailers along with a hot dog cart.
Heritage_Hot_Dog_Cart_Take_Me_Out_to_the_Ball_Game_red__37607.1444839771.490.588.jpg

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmmmm, the Elio as the next Weinermobile???

Oh, I wish I and an Eeee-Liiiooooo
That is what I would truly like to drive
'Cause if I had an Eeeee-Liiiooooo
Something something something something-ive

Top Bottom