• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Luggage Trailer

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These Harbor Freight trailers seem to be a favorite among the touring bike owners. IIRC, there is a list of "upgrades" folks have done with these to make them "outstanding" trailers for the $$.
My opinion...I want a much narrower trailer. Something that will fit in the "slipstream"...with only one wheel. ;):D

You are going to pay a HEAVY premium for one of those as they are A LOT more expensive than the HF trailers...

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing I can see wrong with the HF Trailer is 8" wheels.
How fast are those little wheels spinning at 70+mph?

I like HF Trailers, I've got a 4'x8' I bought 10 years ago; I just got done completely rebuilding the box I built for it.
I also had to replace the wheel bearings once now; original ones were smoking going down the road at 4 years old (fully overloaded, and over rated speed; I can't understand how that happened ;) )

Other than that, I've never had a problem with it.

There's an easy fix...replace the 8" tires/wheels with 12"...I did the same thing with my motorcycle trailer and it makes a WORLD of difference....they last much longer, the trailer tows much nicer, it handles bumps in the road better....in other words, there's no down side to upgrading to the 12 inchers....

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These Harbor Freight trailers seem to be a favorite among the touring bike owners. IIRC, there is a list of "upgrades" folks have done with these to make them "outstanding" trailers for the $$.
My opinion...I want a much narrower trailer. Something that will fit in the "slipstream"...with only one wheel. ;):D

Here you go: Uni-Go Motorcycle Trailers

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure outsidethebox won't be "buying" a single-wheeler.

You sir, are correct! :first:
There are plenty of narrow "roof-top" boxes on the market. Something in the 2' wide x 6' long range. Mounted to a simple "steel tube frame" with a swing arm at the back end and a 12" trailer wheel. I am pretty comfortable with the fabrication process.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Outsyd --- A single wheel trailer is NOT a good idea for the Elio. With a 2 point hitch (rigid left to right flexible up and down) with a castering single wheel moves the CG way aft which makes a tadpole 3 wheeler extremely unstable. The other way is with a single wheel on a swing arm with an articulated hitch (flexible in pitch and yaw but rigid in roll). Since the Elio or any tadpole trike has zero roll control in the rear the trailer will continuously be trying to lift a front wheel. Again gross instability. A lightweight 2 wheel trailer properly loaded is a much better idea.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Outsyd --- A single wheel trailer is NOT a good idea for the Elio. With a 2 point hitch (rigid left to right flexible up and down) with a castering single wheel moves the CG way aft which makes a tadpole 3 wheeler extremely unstable. The other way is with a single wheel on a swing arm with an articulated hitch (flexible in pitch and yaw but rigid in roll). Since the Elio or any tadpole trike has zero roll control in the rear the trailer will continuously be trying to lift a front wheel. Again gross instability. A lightweight 2 wheel trailer properly loaded is a much better idea.
Not all single-wheel trailers are created equal.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll be looking for a way to carry a rather heavy bicycle with me as I traverse the country. Perhaps a hitch on the right side with a two wheel carrier?

Top Bottom