• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Luggage Trailer

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Take into account, the motor in the Elio is 55hp
With the Elio weighing 1400lbs (full gas tank and all other fluids) 2 passengers (figure 200lbs as average)
Right there is 1,800lbs + gear
That trailer better be a featherweight if you plan on doing any hills at a decent speed.

How many HP is the Harley compared to total weight?

450-800lb depending on the model

62-95hp

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Motorcycle engines are known to be notoriously inefficient.
That said, my 530lb. re-jetted 650 V-star produces around 55HP.
I don't even want to imagine trying to climb hills with 1100+ additional pounds.
I't s peppy for off-interstate w' one rider, but could use (at the very least)...
A 1100 engine and better gearing for freeway and/or two up.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Take into account, the motor in the Elio is 55hp
With the Elio weighing 1400lbs (full gas tank and all other fluids) 2 passengers (figure 200lbs as average)
Right there is 1,800lbs + gear
That trailer better be a featherweight if you plan on doing any hills at a decent speed.

How many HP is the Harley compared to total weight?

Coss,
The Bushtec Tubo+ that I pull weighs 125# with a 350# GVW... Personally, I never load it over 275# total... I first pulled it with a 92 Dyna Daytonal (80 CI, 5 spd, 685#).
96 FLH (80CI, 5 spd, 750#)
99 FLTR Road Glide (88CI, 5 spd, 800#)
2007 FLTR Road Glide (96CI, 6 spd, 800#)
2011 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra (103 CI, 6 spd, 875#) I never pulled the trailer with this bike because I was making relatively short runs (500-600 miles) and could carry all my gear on the bike.
My current bike is a 2016 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra with water cooled heads. I will be installing a hitch on this one as I plan to do some big miles when I can get the time off to do so...
Harley doesn't list HP only Torque... so... my 2016 has 105.5 Ft-lbs @ 3750 rpm which I calculate out to about 75 HP, Bike weighs 960#
The only bike I had trouble towing with was the 96 (Harley had highly restricted the engine for emissions), but after I did a few mods it was fine.
I have pulled a trailer in all 48 states and parts of Canada without any problems Not saying you'll win any races, but I've done Loveland Pass in CO. (11,992ft!) on the 99 and the 2007 bikes and was passing cars both times...
The only thing I'm really worried about is EM voiding the warranty if you pull a trailer... Harley and Honda have now taken this position but if your dealer is cool it shouldn't be a problem, besides I have never had a problem with a bike that could be blamed on pulling a trailer...
Bottom line is its still early on, and we've got to see what the final product is going to be and its performance capabilities... I'm still hopeful for a turbo option! :D
Anyway... my two cents...:cool:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Coss,
The Bushtec Tubo+ that I pull weighs 125# with a 350# GVW... Personally, I never load it over 275# total... I first pulled it with a 92 Dyna Daytonal (80 CI, 5 spd, 685#).
96 FLH (80CI, 5 spd, 750#)
99 FLTR Road Glide (88CI, 5 spd, 800#)
2007 FLTR Road Glide (96CI, 6 spd, 800#)
2011 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra (103 CI, 6 spd, 875#) I never pulled the trailer with this bike because I was making relatively short runs (500-600 miles) and could carry all my gear on the bike.
My current bike is a 2016 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra with water cooled heads. I will be installing a hitch on this one as I plan to do some big miles when I can get the time off to do so...
Harley doesn't list HP only Torque... so... my 2016 has 105.5 Ft-lbs @ 3750 rpm which I calculate out to about 75 HP, Bike weighs 960#
The only bike I had trouble towing with was the 96 (Harley had highly restricted the engine for emissions), but after I did a few mods it was fine.
I have pulled a trailer in all 48 states and parts of Canada without any problems Not saying you'll win any races, but I've done Loveland Pass in CO. (11,992ft!) on the 99 and the 2007 bikes and was passing cars both times...
The only thing I'm really worried about is EM voiding the warranty if you pull a trailer... Harley and Honda have now taken this position but if your dealer is cool it shouldn't be a problem, besides I have never had a problem with a bike that could be blamed on pulling a trailer...
Bottom line is its still early on, and we've got to see what the final product is going to be and its performance capabilities... I'm still hopeful for a turbo option! :D
Anyway... my two cents...:cool:
Never doubted you, I too was a long distance rider, a 500 mile jaunt over to the hot springs was a typical ride on a weekend for us.
Plus doing 38 shows a year, I've had my share of riding in a lot of different conditions.
So I know of what you speak.
As far as a trailer goes, it makes no difference to me; I've never pulled one but I have plenty of friends that do; occasionally it was the ability to see a friends trailer taillights and stay between them so we could get through storms on the pass (visibility was about 0).

A trailer for the Elio is not something I ever planned on; but I do know how low power engines behave.
EM has stated in the past they would void the warranty; recently they changed their tune on it; I'm just relaying that information.

The drawing that started this thread looks like a good idea; my suggestion was to mark it out to get a perspective on sizes.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elio never approves a trailer I think it will be a matter if time before someone figures out how to do it. I think it is a risky proposition from a safety perspective. Human nature dictates that the trailer will be over loaded and with that weight pushing the back of the Elio with one tire worth of traction in a corner could be an accident waiting to happen. I could be wrong, but I think I will pass on any trailer. Just my 2 cents!

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt Elio will ever approve a trailer option, (too much liability) but some aftermarket company will build the hitch. It is risky but I've pulled plenty on my Suzuki intruder 1400. One has to be smart on weight of trailer and how to load it correctly. My home built trailer weighs around 150 empty and I have come close to 200 full. You have to be very careful when pulling that and making turns on 2 wheels. If I ever get my elio it will pull a trailer eventually.
I have the tail section of a piper Cherokee fuselage just waiting to be put on wheels and have a hitch installed. Should look good behind my rocket silver Elio.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt Elio will ever approve a trailer option, (too much liability) but some aftermarket company will build the hitch. It is risky but I've pulled plenty on my Suzuki intruder 1400. One has to be smart on weight of trailer and how to load it correctly. My home built trailer weighs around 150 empty and I have come close to 200 full. You have to be very careful when pulling that and making turns on 2 wheels. If I ever get my elio it will pull a trailer eventually.
I have the tail section of a piper Cherokee fuselage just waiting to be put on wheels and have a hitch installed. Should look good behind my rocket silver Elio.
Cool idea! I would like to see a picture of that! Will you color match the trailer to your Elio?

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not an artist, automotive engineer, aerodynamicist, or anything else that would in any way qualify me to know anything about how this sort of thing would be built, perform, cost or integrate with the Elio. :) Just thought I'd goof around with the idea see what happens.

This idea has been bouncing around my head for while so I finally got a large-ish picture printed out and did some scribbling. A luggage trailer styled like the Elio, shaped so it complements the aerodynamics of the Elio and could hold say 3 carry-on sized pieces of luggage. The idea here is if my wife and I wanted to do a road trip anywhere we'd need to bring 2 or 3 bags along with us. No chance of that inside the Elio itself.

After looking at my scribbling it would probably need a bigger gap between the rear of the car and the leading edge of the trailer. I would think that keeping that space to a minimum would help with air flow.

The axel might need to be centered better on the trailer (front to back) so the bulk of the cargo weight could be carried by the trailer much more than the hitch and the Elio's rear suspension.

I used the Elio's rear tire to roughly sketch that, maybe that tire could be much smaller to save interior space in the trailer.

I've seen plenty of motorcycles hauling a small luggage trailer but it would be really nice if Elio would give this project to their engineers after production is in full swing so we get something that is styled and manufactured to be nicely integrated with the Elio.

View attachment 9274

I like it and would buy. However, your gap between car and trailer is too small. It is definitely a pinch point on a sharp turn and very difficult to back more than a car length.

Top Bottom